My Baby Has Hiccups!

Hiccups can be a big worry for many pregnant women and new moms. Why does their baby have them? Is their baby in pain from them? What can they do about them? Rest assured, most of the time the baby is not in pain, and the mother is more bothered by the fact that the hiccups have appeared, than the baby is having them.

my-baby-has-hiccups.jpgHiccups in Utero
Pregnant women often mention feeling their baby having hiccups while in the womb and wonder what causes this. These hiccups can start in the first trimester, but won’t be felt by mom until late in the second trimester or during the third trimester. Rarely do the hiccups bother the mother-to-be, however some moms might worry that it is hurting their baby.

The exact cause of your baby’s hiccups is unknown. However, many specialists believe that your baby’s hiccups may be helping to strengthen the diaphragm muscle in order to help the baby breathe both in the womb and once they are born. In many cases your baby will have the hiccups at the same time everyday.

Not only can hiccups be felt by the mom-to-be, but it can also be detected during an ultrasound and picked up on a Doppler while at the doctor’s office for a routine visit. After a woman has been assured that these hiccups are normal and are not bothering their baby, then they become something that can be looked forward to on a daily basis, much like their baby kicking.

Hiccups After Birth
If your baby had hiccups while in utero, it is very plausible that he will have the hiccups after he is born. Some babies that did not have them in utero may still have them after birth. Hiccups can start after birth as early as the day your baby is born. Like the hiccups your baby might have had in utero, these hiccups are generally not painful for your baby.

Hiccups after birth occur when the diaphragm muscle contracts causing your baby to take quick short breaths. Normally these hiccups go away after only a few minutes. If they are really bothering you, try burping your baby more often during feedings. To get them to stop you can try to feed your baby whether you are nursing or bottlefeeding. The constant sucking and swallowing can help that muscle relax and help the hiccups stop.

120 Comments on "My Baby Has Hiccups!"

Mia
Really?? Are we arguing about whether or not pregnancy is a blessing or annoying? My husband and I couldn’t believe we got pregnant because of more than a few circumstances! I can’t wait for this baby to be here because I don’t particularly like being pregnant! Especially since it is 1:32 AM and ive been up with my daughters hiccups for the last 20 minutes! I look forward to meeting the little booger who is making me crazy all night!! I am very thin and I feel and see every movement she makes in my belly. So those of us… Read more »
dani
wow! had no idea hiccups were such a passionately opinionated problem! lol! man. it is crazy though. hiccups?? every day??? that’s crazy! i had heard of them but finally put it together with the small, rythmic little thumps in there. i’m 33 weeks and his movement have now been large, slow and sweeping lately compared to the quick jabs and kicks before. but then this little thump, thump, thump, thump…oh! a HICCUP! lol! weird. and to the back and forth of the rough vs easy parts of pregnancy….my two cents – yes. those of us having a good time with… Read more »
Sarah

Hello…I am 27 weeks and 4days pregnant with my first, a little girl. She has been hicupping more frequently this past week, which I honestly find amusing(as long as I know she is not in pain from them) But, I have had a pretty hard pregnancy from the start, so I can take the cute little hiccups as opposed to the constant throwing up, the extreme weight loss, the medical concerns and so on….It’s fun to lay back and just watch my stomach go.

Bella

Hey all, I am 41 weeks and 6 days pregnant. I have had the most amazing pregnancy from start to finish. My biggest problem was morning sickness for all of 2 weeks. I can honestly say that hickups are horribly annoying. My son has them about once an hour for about 5 minutes. And when baby is this big they hurt! And for all those people saying because their annoying means we aren’t greatful need to relax. The constant twitching is not my idea of fun.

Alexandria

30 weeks and I’m feeling hiccups… at least I think that’s what they are. : ) Usually he hiccups and kicks around at night, so I put my husbands hand on my belly, we can both feel them and smile as we fall asleep.

anthony munyenyembe

Our baby is just 18 days old. She had hiccups while in utero and they have continued. Our parents advised that they are not harmful. Indeed they (hiccups) are quite disturbing because you can’t tell what is going on in the baby.

Amy

I’m 34 weeks, and she’s got hiccups right now… I love feeling my baby move, and normally the hiccups don’t bother me at all … But they’re making me uncomfortable tonight because I’m very tired and nauseated, and every little movement I feel is making it worse.
Thankfully, after about 20 minutes, they’ve just stopped. Now I just feel her wiggling some and her little foot jabbing me a little, and I don’t mind that at all! Those kinds of baby movements are always enjoyable to me. The hiccups, not so much. 😉

Sonam

Thank u for all the comments regarding baby hiccups. Iam now relieved to know that unborn baby’s hiccup is not a problem otherwise i was a little worried thinking it could a health problem to my unborn child.

Sonia
I find this article informative it’s great. Both of my babies have had the hiccups in the womb and my son got them alot in the first six months after he was born. I’m now 35 weeks with my little girl and she has them worse and as a rule she gets them for the first time about three In the morn and yesterday she had them four times before 10am and into the afternoon til I lost count It does get a little annoying after a while sort of like a eye muscle etc that wont stop spasming. As… Read more »
Emma
I LOVE feeling my baby hiccup… I’ve felt them since about 29/30 weeks, and he gets them around the same time every day. I find it as being quite reassuring – knowing he’s working hard to practice breathing and swallowing, and strengthening his little lungs and diaphragm ready to be born soon. I’m currently 36 weeks and will miss sensations such as this (and his kicking / rolling / nudging) when all so soon he will be born… I don’t even find them that uncomfortable, just like a little spasm or a tic inside me… My partner loves being able… Read more »
Lauren

Love feeling the baby move and kick but when he gets the hiccups at 4 in the morning it is very annoying-especially when you have two other children to get up and care for in the morning and you are losing sleep-so i empathize with those who feel that way

Rebecca K
Hi, Just got halfway down the posts and just had to say I’m so glad I’m not the only one who finds it annoying. I adore my baby, and I so badly wanted to be pregnant and I’m so grateful I am as at one stage I thought it would never happen. But for me, it’s been an ordeal. I was so naive to think it would be a beautiful experience. I have suffered horrible health and physical problems as a result but would still do it again if I could and we intend to have more children after this… Read more »
katie
Lori I couldn’t agree with you more! Enjoyable is not the way I would describe the pregnancy I am having but that doesn’t change the fact I am very excited to be having baby # 2!! My baby has the hiccups often and it annoys me. I have a VERY active little girl in here and my 1st one was much more mellow. Every pregnancy is different and what one person may feel is a wonderful feeling someone else it may be causing pain and discomfort to. I wish every one the best with their pregnancy and little blessings to… Read more »
Danielle

evryone is entitled to there opinions. give samantha a break and worry about your own opinions. i too found it annoying

Robin
Hiccups! At first I thought it was a heartbeat, I didn’t even know babies could get hiccups in the womb, but alas, it was most definitely the hiccups. Feels like a tiny kick or a hard tap to me. A very constant kick or tap..I can definitely understand why some women feel they are annoying, as it can be uncomfortable. And some women love the feeling. Everyone is different, everyone carries differently, everyone feels things differently. I might feel a mild pain that I consider low on my pain threshold, someone else may feel high. Or vice versa. I’m sure… Read more »
Kelli

I am 36wks pregnant and my boy hiccups 2-3 times a day. Has since about 30 weeks. Its cute but uncomfortable when Im trying to sleep. At first I didn’t realise what they were. My first son had them only once in utero and they were quite strong and felt right across my belly, but this time they are only tiny bumps low in my abdomen. They don’t last long though and Im interested to see if he still has them regularly once born.

Lori
I am grateful to hear so many women who were willing to speak honestly about their feelings regarding pregnancy. Miracle? Yes. Enjoyable? For me, no. Not at all. But society puts so much pressure on how a person “should” feel about certain things, automatically labeling a person as “mean” or “ungrateful” if he or she is tickled at the difficulties they’re enduring. What frustrating is hearing this attitude from fellow women, who one would hope would be supportive. My pregnancy has been a mass of worries, from violent nausea to measuring too large to breech position to hiccups that keep… Read more »
Tracy Frame

Iam 35 and a half weeks pregnant and my baby gets hiccups 5 times a day some can last 3 minutes some longer. I ask the doctor and he said the baby has been drinking alot of fluid which worries me now because this is my 5th child and my last one had hiccups and was born naturally and was nearlly 11 pounds. I have been booked in for a csection on the 27th of july but i am already measureing 38 weeks. Heres hoping not a big baby lol.

mrbojo

I am 39 weeks pregnant and I am so glad to see that this thumping is normal. Mine is in my lower abdomen too, I suppose which means her head is down. I was/am worried that I am cramping her my sitting up – maybe I need to lay down?? UGH. How will I ever get all these thank you notes written before she comes! lol 🙂

Veronica

I’m 31 weeks and 3 days pregnant and I feel lil hiccups every day! They feel like a tiny heartbeat, and at first I thought that’s what it was. Imagine my scared face when I felt them stop for the first time! YIKES. They’re fast, not so spread apart like ours. I don’t think they’re annoying at all, it’s my lil one hiccuping! 🙂 HOWEVER, when I get them, they’re totally annoying…I agree with you AJ!

G’luck mommies!

AJ
I’m 35 wks with #2 baby now, and even the first time I was not worried/concerned. Don’t know now how I knew, but I did know that babies hiccuped in utero and figured that had to be what it was. It just seemed like a tiny version of my hiccups and was way too rhythmic to just be baby’s generic movements. To me, the “annoying” aspect of them is just that I get annoyed when MY hiccups go on too long! So it reminds me of those feelings, I guess, because it can get distracting after a while! 😉
Lucky

Hello mommies to be. I’ll be 35 weeks tomarrow and I too was concerned about the frequency of my baby’s hiccups. I’m very relieved to know that not only is it normal but I’m not the only one who finds it rather anoying at times. Thank you all for your insight.

Ida Noel
thanks to all for your reviews. im a first time Mom to be and currently at my 36 week. i was a lil worried when i first felt the spasm thing going on in my belly esp at the lower abdominal area, then i recalled having to read that baby’s in the womb do hav hiccups. so i guess baby is growing pretty well, managing his respiratory syst as he grows and yeah its a funny feelin, makes me a lil nervous as i cant help but wanna stop it as i thought its a lil discomfort for my lil… Read more »
Julie

Heather, I too have felt the “shuddering” you refer to (I am at 29 wks with our first). Based on some of my readings, this may simply be baby changing positions very rapidly! I am not worried about it in the slightest but will simply be asking my doctor out of curiosity.

With respect to hiccups: I love feeling any movement whatsoever from my baby, but every pregnancy is different…

Finally, and as stated above, kudos to the guys for being involved! It’s a very endearing thing to witness:)

I have 3 kids and the first two never had hiccups but my son seemed to get them everyday after about 6 months but never caught them after he was born.

My Baby has hiccups several times a day and it can get quite worrying, i feel helpless, that old chestnut of scaring somone doesn’t quite work when it’s a child, but i remember last week i passed gas LOUDLY and the hiccups stopped

Lisa
I am 35 weeks pregnant and i feel my babies hiccups all the time. I was really worried to start with, think due to being a first time mum. I thought it might be hurting my baby but after reading up on it, my mind is now at ease that i know she is fine. I dont find it annoying, it is cute but i feel so sorry for her, i know what its like when i get them, lol. I cant wait till she is here and hopefully i can do a bit more for her when shes here… Read more »
Laura

Nicley said Jax!

K guys, my sis just had a baby and he’s only 2weeks old and I KNOW that this arttical says not to worry and that hiccups r normal but his are really aggressive… u can kinda hear them in his stomach aswell as from his mouth, and sometimes they make him sick (just a small bit tho). Gonna look into this lemon juice thing. Anyone have any other ideas?

Heather

I am 34 weeks prego, and my baby gets the hicups several times a day every day. Especially at night. There was also one occassion when I was sitting down that my abdomen “shuddered” like the baby got a severe chill. Has anybody experienced this?? I’m not sure if it was my muscles spasming or if it was the baby. Should I be worried about seizures in utero? Does this even exist? I cant find any reliable info online about it.

Andrea

I am 33 wks and my baby girl has been having hiccups for weeks. I look forward to them daily because it helps me to know which parts are where as she is turning around in there.

Jax
I am 36 weeks pregnant with my second child, this time it’s a boy! As I did when I was pregnant with my daughter, I can also feel my son hiccup several times a day, everyday. I agree it can be a bit annoying, but i try to see it more as a little, “Hey mommy, I’m ok in here” from my son. When he does hiccup, I feel it in my lower abdomin, which means he’s head down. I have to agree with some people here, we need to lighten up about some things said on this forum. We… Read more »
Lisa

This goes to 2ndTimeMom, Babies start having hiccups during the first trimester. We just can’t feel them yet, so it is possible Amanda’s baby had hiccups when she was 16-17 weeks. The only reason I know this is that it’s actually in the article above! LOL .

2ndTimeMom

Amanda, whatever you felt earlier in y our pregnancy was not hiccups. Only the more mature fetuses can hiccup because hiccups rely on the development of the central nervous system which is not developed enough yet at 16-17 weeks.

2ndTimeMom

Kalyn, I certainly hope you plan to finish school after the baby is born.

KALYN

HEY, IM 37 WEEKS PREGNANT AN MY SON GETS THE HICUPS ALL THE TIME.. I MYSELF LOVE IT.. IT REASSURES ME THAT MY BABY IS OKAY AN THATS ALL IM EVER WORRIED ABOUT IS HIS HEALTH.. ONE THING THAT DOES ACTULLY BOTHER ME IS WHEN IMOVE HIS FEET OR HANDS OUT OF ONE SPOTBECAUSE IT HURTS AN HE PUTS THEM RIGHT BACK.. I GUESS HES JUST REBELIOUS ALREDY LOL..

P.S. I AM ONLY 16 AN I KNW HOW LUCKY I AM I THINK SAMANTHA IS VERY UNGREATFUL FOR COMPLAINING ABOUT NOT HAVEING CONTROLL.

Andrew Nunn

My wife didn’t experience or wasn’t awear of hiccups prior to the birth of our now hiccuping son, but his hiccuping was a bit of concern as wasn’t sure if was hurting him or causing distress. But glad this article helped make clear they’re not harmful in anyway and maybe strengthening his diaphragm. Think our baby will have strongest Diaphragm in world as hiccups everyday (good Boy). The sound of hicups now is great compared to the sound of constant crying!!!!

Kristi

Ok, I’m 35 weeks and yes I LOVE feeling the baby move and hiccup but YES the hiccups are ANNOYING at times, it’s this constant strong jumping/kicking feeling in the same spot over and over and over and over and over again for awhile and it does get annoying, it feels like I’m getting constant indigestion/gas bubbles strongly inside and they won’t stop. So yes, it’s annoying. Kids at any age are annoying but that doesn’t mean we’re bad moms or love them any less!! Geezzzzz people, let loose a litttle here!!!

A guy
Guys should not judge women on pregnancy. It can be very painful. My wife’s back hurts almost every night, and our baby’s hiccups and subsequent somersaults keep her awake every night. It is physically exhausting to carry a baby, no matter how exciting it is to have a baby. First time parents don’t know what they would have to go through when they are having a baby…it is something that can only be learnt through experience. No amount of reading can emphasize that. So my advice to guys: Just be as supportive as you can, and try to understand all… Read more »
Michelle
Don’t worry Sarah – I had Strep B with my daughter and ended up with a C-section. They just gave me an IV antibiotic and all was fine. Just talk to your doctor if you’re worried. Glad to hear someone else noticed that their baby’s hiccups were really fast, I didn’t realize what they were at first because they were SO fast. But yesterday I realized that’s what they must be. So funny. There’s much worse things that have frustrated me about pregnancy – hiccups I can handle. Of course it’s all worth it in the end. Any healthy pregnancy… Read more »
sarah h
im 34+4 weeks and my goodness not been a gd pregnancy at all, was just informed last week the my baby is stuck in double breech position an an i am groub b strep positive and my baby is no longer gaining weight! thats just the past weeks news never mind the past 7 months of constant concern. 1 of wich was the hiccups so im glad to find the this is a normal thing and nothing to worrie about as this is my 1st. just feel so sorry for the little spud as there is nothing i can do… Read more »
Sarah

I am 29wks…this little guy hiccups continuously during the day…don’t remember hiccups with my daughter, ever! I wasn’t concerned until I read a blurp somewhere about it potentially being a bad sign. Glad to have found this site to relieve any concern!

Shayna
I’m 34 weeks into my 2nd pregnancy. Both of my babies have had hiccups in utero. It can be frustrating or me to not have control over. So I rub my belly and sing or sshh, trying to let baby know it’s okay. My 1st also had hiccups after birth and I found his to be associated with sleep.If he was over tired, he would hiccup! Crazy but once we understood that it was a sleep thing for him like yawning, we cold help him relax and fall asleep. Just thought I’d share that incase that’s the case for anyone… Read more »
Deedee

I’m 37 weeks and by baby hiccups A LOT. I hate it. It’s very uncomfortable but at least I know he’s ok.

Amanda

My baby’s been hiccupping nearly every day since I first felt him moving at 16 or 17 weeks. But it took me a bit to figure out what it was! (I just thought maybe he had really good rhythm–daddy’s a musician).
It never occurred to me that the hiccups could be a bad thing though, because I like it when I, personally, get them. They make me laugh!
I hope the baby is as easy going as I am about such things! I guess he’ll just have to be, since he’s a baby and all.

Sarah

I am 30 weeks pregnant today with my first child and just felt the baby hiccup this morning. Like many of you stated, I thought that it was my pulse or heart beat at first, but I could visibly see my belly moving. It is the cutest thing ever! By the way, you guys are being a little hard on poor Richard.

I am 31 weeks pregnant and was very concerned about the constant spasms that I felt. I am glad to know that it is normal. I usually just lay my hand on the spot to let my baby know that “Yes, mummy is here” just in case it is uncomfortable for him. PS I am enjoying every single moment of this pregnancy although at times it is trying. God Bless All You Expecting Moms!

Iris

I am so glad I am not the only one. I’ve been very worried. I am now 29 wks and I have felt my unborn baby hiccup since I was 24 wks. I work fulltime and I can feel them more when I am sitting at my desk. The hiccups last for 3-8 minutes about 3-5 times a day since I began monitoring them. i never experienced this with my first two pregnancies, yet I did not experience anything like the nausea, vomiting, back aches, etc. Nevertheless it is another boy…Good Luck to all of you!

jennifer
i am 32 weeks pregnant with my 2nd child & this one, like the last, has hiccups 2-3 every day. i find them amazing & the only time they are even remotely annoying is when i am trying to go to sleep, just like his kicks & punches. just today my fiance has FINALLY been able to feel them too. they are just another of the many miracles we are fortunate to have during this time & a great opportunity for bonding between all of us. best of luck to all mommies & just think of those hiccups as a… Read more »

my brothers girlfriend just had a baby and i ran over to her house to help the baby when he had hiccups. i just rubbed his back, and they went away.

My baby was just born and when he hiccups, like most people here, I was worried and didnt know what to do. That is why i ran a web search and found this page. After reading this article, i am glad to know he is OK and there is nothing to worry about.