My Baby Has Hiccups!

Hiccups can be a big worry for many pregnant women and new moms. Why does their baby have them? Is their baby in pain from them? What can they do about them? Rest assured, most of the time the baby is not in pain, and the mother is more bothered by the fact that the hiccups have appeared, than the baby is having them.

my-baby-has-hiccups.jpgHiccups in Utero
Pregnant women often mention feeling their baby having hiccups while in the womb and wonder what causes this. These hiccups can start in the first trimester, but won’t be felt by mom until late in the second trimester or during the third trimester. Rarely do the hiccups bother the mother-to-be, however some moms might worry that it is hurting their baby.

The exact cause of your baby’s hiccups is unknown. However, many specialists believe that your baby’s hiccups may be helping to strengthen the diaphragm muscle in order to help the baby breathe both in the womb and once they are born. In many cases your baby will have the hiccups at the same time everyday.

Not only can hiccups be felt by the mom-to-be, but it can also be detected during an ultrasound and picked up on a Doppler while at the doctor’s office for a routine visit. After a woman has been assured that these hiccups are normal and are not bothering their baby, then they become something that can be looked forward to on a daily basis, much like their baby kicking.

Hiccups After Birth
If your baby had hiccups while in utero, it is very plausible that he will have the hiccups after he is born. Some babies that did not have them in utero may still have them after birth. Hiccups can start after birth as early as the day your baby is born. Like the hiccups your baby might have had in utero, these hiccups are generally not painful for your baby.

Hiccups after birth occur when the diaphragm muscle contracts causing your baby to take quick short breaths. Normally these hiccups go away after only a few minutes. If they are really bothering you, try burping your baby more often during feedings. To get them to stop you can try to feed your baby whether you are nursing or bottlefeeding. The constant sucking and swallowing can help that muscle relax and help the hiccups stop.

120 Comments on "My Baby Has Hiccups!"

Christy
I am 38 weeks with my second child. My son is 10, so it has been awhile since I have been pregnant. I do not remember feeling hiccups when pregnant with him. This baby seems to have the hiccups 2 or 3 times a day, usually at night when I try to go to sleep! I do not find it so much annoying as uncomfortable. It took me a few days to realize the constant movements I was feeling was the baby hiccuping. Now that I realize what it is, I find it cute and actually enjoy it, even tho… Read more »
Jenna

I find it amusing how intense this conversation has become. Sounds like some people are getting worked up over small things. Annoying? yes. Blessing? even more so. 35 weeks pregnant and my little girl is hiccuping away at this very moment…

Lucinda

I am 35 weeks pregnant and my baby gets the hiccups everyday, when i feel him hiccup i get a huge smile on my face. I agree with you Jessica, i dont find them to be annoying, i actually enjoy feeling him and knowing that he is alive and okay in there.

Jessica

I’m 37 weeks now and I can remember feeling my baby hiccup at about 32 weeks at first I had no idea what was going on and began to freak out and even started crying I thought maybe I had to much caffeine that day but I asked my doctor and she assured me it normal. As far as it being “annoying” …it can be uncomfortable to have your stomach twitching every few seconds on and on but I rather enjoy the feeling because it reminds me that there’s a little person in my belly

Sarah
I’m 38 weeks and it certainly can be annoying! I feel sorry for the poor little guy spazzing in there with his hiccups, but when you’re trying to sleep, relax, or just maintain sanity, it can be annoying to have that persistent twitch in there that shakes your entire abdomen. Don’t you find it a bit annoying when you have the hiccups? I don’t think anyone here is saying they don’t want to be pregnant or that it’s not a blessing, but come on! Lighten up people! There are a lot of annoying things about being pregnant, especially in the… Read more »
Mahmoud

thanks for the article… really helpful. my wife and myself have been told to use a very small squeeze of fresh lemon…. and seems to work every single time… i wonder whether lemon can hurt the baby

Cheryl

Samantha, Grow Up! Just be thankful you are pregnant, do you know how many women would love to trade places with you? The time to have control over your body was BEFORE you became pregnant. I hope your unborn child does not feel your negatice vibes. By the way, I do know all about being pregnant, I was three times, and was thankful for all three pregnancies,

MY DAUGHTER IS 36 WEEKS PREGNANT & SHE FEELS HICCUPS EVERY DAY SEVERAL TIMES A DAY, THIS IS HER FIRST CHILD & SHE THINKS IT’S JUST AMAZING TO FEEL ALL THE DIFFERENT MOVEMENTS, YES EVEN THE HICCUPS, THERE NOT PAINFUL FOR HER IN ANY WAY SHE SAID IT JUST FEELS REALLY COOL, SHE SAYS ITS NEVER ANNOYING.

Sue
hello everyone, two weeks ago i gave birth to my first child (a beautiful boy!). since the end of the 2nd trimester until the night before he was born, my little guy had the hiccups… daily… minimum of twice daily. it definitely wasn’t annoying. i was concerned and wanted to know what i could do to help him. well, as you know, there isn’t anything we could do to make the hiccups go away. since i was always singing & talking to him, i would rub my belly and sing/talk to him. after birth, yes, he gets the hiccups every… Read more »
Gen

Tan, I don’t think I could have said it better myself.

Tan

I am 37 weeks pregnant and have been feeling hiccups for a few weeks now. I feel it in the lower part of my uterus, which means my baby is head down – so I am very happy about that. It is also quite reassuring to know that my baby’s lungs are maturing. But I will also say without apology that it is very ANNOYING and sometimes incredibly painful. My baby hiccups 2-3 times per day for about 30 minutes; and trust me having a baby hiccup in your crotch for that long is not comfortable in the least.

Lauren

I think annoying is an entirely appropriate term sometimes, when my baby will have giant hiccups for five minutes straight inside of me. It’s not like I don’t love her, and I understand she can’t help it, but I think we should be allowed a little leeway to feel annoyed when our tummies are jumping and moving to their own beat. 🙂

Adrijana
My baby has the hiccups every day at least twice a day. It’s usually at the same time. I wouldn’t say it’s annoying. It made me worried for a little bit and then I found out it was normal. So now I sit back and rub my belly. I am 34 weeks and 4 days pregnant. I just don’t want her to be uncomfortable. Richard, you are a great guy for checking things out for your baby. Yes, there are painful times in pregnancy, my hips hurt all the time, and my back is achy but it’s all so worth… Read more »

I’m at 34 weeks and the baby has been hiccuping for the past 3 weeks or so. It is a bit worrying as they are very fast, and go on for quite a while. Also, it sometimes stops me from falling asleep at night if she gets the hiccups just as I get into bed!

Charlene
I’m 33 wks and I’ve been feeling these hiccups too, at first I thought it was my heartbeat just thumping really hard since I was feeling it up by my ribs and got really worried but today it dawned on me, could he have hiccups? What you’re feeling Shauna is prob. just hiccups. And as for Richard, you can empathize, it’s sympathizing that you can’t do. Also, pregnancy isn’t “staggeringly painful” for everyone, every woman’s bodies handle pain at different levels therefore birth may be excruciating for some where as others will hardly feel a thing, without drugs. Just because… Read more »
Shauna

…I’m 37 weeks pregnant with my second child the first one just turning eight. I don’t ever remember my baby having hiccups with my first pregnancy. I’m not absolutely sure if this is hiccups that i’m feeling, could someone please tell me what they think. I feel a thump in my belly that is very constant. It doesn’t hurt or anything I actually think it’s really cute.

Well, yes, I am a man, therefore I can’t empathize (sorry). I just found it a little surprising that this kind of thing would be ‘annoying’ (as I said, I came here to find out how to help my baby). I cannot possibly imagine how uncomfortable (or staggeringly painful) pregnancy and child birth can be, it just seems to me that having a child is a choice and should be a happy occasion, therefore even when my baby is screaming I wish he would stop, but that’s more because I’m concerned about his welfare. That being said, I’m certainly not… Read more »
Samantha

It sounds to me like Richard is a man and doesnt understand Mindy when she says ITS ANNOYING… I am 33 weeks pregnant and I too have a hiccupping baby. I find it very annoying at times and when I am in a better mood, like when his not beating my guts up, I find it cute. Yes, we all love our babies dearly but when they are inside of you doing things you have no control over its mindboggling. I feel like I have no control over my own body… I don’t like that!!!

Surely ‘concerning’ is a better choice of word than ‘bothering’ or ‘annoying’. My newborn baby hiccups but I’m more concerned about whether he is OK rather than feeling even remotely irritated. Babies can’t help it, but we can help them. That being said, I am also relieved to find that it is perfectly natural (I came to this site after trying to find advice about what I could do for him once he started hiccuping).

Mindy Bates

I was so relieved to know that hiccups in utero were normal. I am in my third trimester and my son to be has hiccups three times a day. Although I am relieved they are somewhat annoying.