HCG Levels in Pregnancy

Whether it is their first pregnancy, or they have been pregnant before, many women have heard the term “hCG” while they are either trying to conceive, or shortly after they conceive, but they don’t necessarily know what it means.

In the medical world, hCG is short for Human chorionic gonadotropin which is a hormone that a woman makes when she is pregnant. It can be detected in a urine sample or a blood sample as early as 10 days before your period should start. However, it can take until several days after you miss your period for these levels to be high enough that they can be detected.

The hCG hormone helps sustain a woman’s pregnancy until the second trimester when the placenta starts functioning fully and takes over. It also helps create the testes, secretes estrogen, and helps develop the placenta.

For women who have faced infertility issues, or who have had problems with miscarriages, doctors will routinely draw blood to check the hCG levels 2-3 times a week in early pregnancy. This is because hCG is supposed to at least double in a 48 hour period until it reaches a certain level, when it starts to decline. If the levels are doubling, it is often a sign that the pregnancy is viable and progressing as normal. If there is only a small rise in the number, no rise in the number, or a drop, it can be the first sign to a doctor or midwife that this pregnancy may not last through the first trimester.

There is no “norm” in the range for hCG levels in a pregnancy. They generally fall into this range.

Week since last menstrual period began Amount of hCG in mIU/ml
3 5 – 50 (less than 5 means you are not pregnant)
5 19 – 7,340
7-8 7,650 – 229,000

If hCG levels are taken and they not only double, but triple, quadruple or more, this is often a sign that there is more than one baby in the uterus. When a woman is pregnant with multiples, her hormones will rise much faster than they do when it is just a single pregnancy.

If you have questions about your hCG levels, be sure to ask your doctor or midwife. They are the only ones who can correctly test, judge, and give you answers regarding the health of your pregnancy.

96 Comments on "HCG Levels in Pregnancy"

christina
so im just going to put my whole situation from begainning to end on here to help eveyone understand exactally what is going on with my pregnancy to better help you help me if possible… the first day of my last period was march 23rd it lasted till the 29th. i started spotting and then slightly bleeding on the 7th of april so on the 9th when it did not stop i went to the hospital after taking 2 home pregnancy test and getting a positive the doctor did a blood test and urine test they both said positive so… Read more »
Erica

Im 21 and late for my period my hgc they say it is 21 today but 2 and a half days ago they say it was lower than this so what does this mean.?! Please help.!

Emily
Hi I had a ectopic in June of last year, I recently found out I’m pregnant not sure how far as I have regular periods, I went to the hospital with bleeding, so they tested my hormone levels it was a low 18 then 30 then 27 then24 and now 32, still low I’m still bleeding but no clotting and no pain, had two internal scans and they can’t see the baby, which just may mean I’m to early to see the baby, but I’m getting very worried now and don’t really no what any of this means can anyone… Read more »
Latiesha

I had a termination at 13 weeks due to medical reasons and
This was only a month ago.
Me and my partner have had unprotected sex numerous times
And I took a clearblue digital test and it’s showed up pregnant 1-2
Meaning I conceived one to two weeks ago there for I’m approx 4 weeks pregnant
Is there any chance that this is just my hormone levels?
Please please get back to me in much need of knowing what’s happening
I have a doc appt tomorrow I just need some answers now :/

Emma

Hi..

I had an abortion 2 month ago. No period since and 5 tests show positive. Went to doctor, he told me I am pregnant. Had blood drops and felt tingling. I scheduled urgent ultrasound and shows nothing and HCG at48. Am I pregnant? Or I still have hormones from previous pregnancy?

nerys

went to hosptail last night am 11 week preageant they found sports blood in my urine told me go back friday for scan am worried in cast i lost the baby

ELSY SERRANO

I DID A PREGNANCY TEST IT WAS 16.3 WHAT DOES IT MEAN AND AT THE BOTTOM OF THE RESULS THERE WAS A NUMBER 5 IM COMFUSE THEY TOLD ME TO DO THE BLOOD TEST IN 2 MORE DAYS DOES IT MEAN IM PREGNAN OR NOT HELP ME PLEASE ?

dan

cazz.. My partner and i had the same thing, hcg levels went up but didnt double, we hoped for the best but unfortunately lost the baby.

cazzamaytee

Hey, its caroline I am 5wekks pregnant and been bleeding a lot over these couple of days I went for a blood test and 2days later went for another they said it went up but did not double.I went back this morning for a internal scan and they said they could see a shac but they told me go bk in 10days as any1 at all been through thiss I am really worried ?! Let me know

Courtney
I had a ectopic pregnancy in march . I found out on sept 13 I was pregnant again. My last period was aug 18. I went for blood work and more blood work. The doctor told me the levels where fine. I changed doctors before they did a ultrasound. When I finally had a ultrasound I was 9 weeks. The tech looked and looked, she found a sac no baby. They sent me for more blood work that was on a Friday. I had to go for more blood work that next Monday.. They called and told me my numbers… Read more »
Victoria
I almost miscarried 2 days ago and they did the ultrasound@ the hosp, and everything is right where it should be, But they can’t find a heartbeat and it could be because it is too early.and the dr.@the hosp. said I would probally miscarry all of they way within the next few days, but I haven’t and yest. I went to my new dr. she is an actual obygn and she did some testing of her own on me and she is keeping watch on my HCG levels to make sure they are going up like they should while I… Read more »
Toni

Hi I had a blood test 4 weeks ago then come up negative but had another on yetetday that says my hCG is 36736 is this a higher readingthen normal since I can’t be any further than 3-4 weeks.

Bobbie
Quantative hcg levels are drawn to establish how the pregnancy is progressing. Since the levels can vary so much from individual to individual there is no real way to determine who will or will not carry to term. Typically levels are drawn over the course of six days first to get a baseline level with the following two providing assistance with determination of due date and or the presence of multiples. A rise in levels with a decrease may indicate a potential miscarriage but is not difinitive. A rise in levels then a decrease and then another rise may be… Read more »
kate

i just found out that im 8 weeks pregnant , my hcg levels were at 10,000 , when I went to the hospital two weeks ago it was only at 22 and the doctor told me that i was on the way to losing the baby? what happend im confused and dont know weather to get exicited or what any one have answers ?

i recently found i am prego.i had a few chemical preg. my IUD fall out in Dec 09 and had several meds to control bleeding on 02\21 hcg at 35 on 02\23 at 81 02\25 at 300 02\28 at 904 my doc told me every thing was looking good. this baby was going to make it on 034 i had a scan and was not able to see anything 🙁 had more blood work done dropped to 635. was told i was going to miscarrey. then and another scan on the 037 still nothing and had more blood work done.… Read more »
yvonne
i had a m/c nov 2010 , i found out i was pregnant again on 22 feb , i started to bleed n had my blood work done my hcg was 457 i went 2 days later n it had dropped to 351 ive had them repeated again and its 308 , they have told me its a non viable pregnancy which means it will fail , this is twice in 4 months and its heartbreaking , to anyone who’s hcg levels are dropping , this is not a good sign and you should prepare yourself for the worst ,… Read more »
sarah

just found out im pregnant 5 6 weeks back at hosptal next thursday see if they can get babys heartbeat any1know how many weeks have to be to see it has this this my first baby

jessica

hey
tina
i found out i was pregnant on the 25th of dec an got my blood work done on 28 an they were 880 then on the 30 they were 2200 so they set me up with a sono an they told me i misscaired but i went to er an the baby was fine an head a heart beat i would always get a second apinion

leona

the doctor told me and showed me the charts from the lab report and anything under 9 don’t really mean anything. in the first few weeks it is hard to tell. the lab report well show 9-130 u are 3 to 4 weeks. mt number were going up very slow so i redone the hcg level on the 20th and they are now gone down to less then 1 were they are suppose to be. i got the ok to start trying again

Tina
I am 7 weeks pregnant according to my last menstral cycle, I had an ultrasound last week and the doctor could not see a heartbeat. I also had my blood drawn and my hcg levels were 24,000, then I had another ultrasound 5 days later and still no heartbeat, the doctor said I was measuring 5.5- 6 weeks, I also had my blood drawn again the my hcg levels were over 56,000……the doctor thinks that I am going to have a miscarriage because she said that you should be able to see a heartbeat after 10,000 hcg levels. She also… Read more »
angela

Leona,
Just wondering what you found out? I had 3 positive test on sunday the 19, started bleeding bright red blood on tuesday so i went to the er. the er doc said my cervix was closed the ultrasound showed i should be 4 weeks along but showed no sac or yock. My hcg was 8 so the dr said he thought i wasnt pregnant. i am still bledding but still fell pregnant. i thought anything over 5 ment you could be pregnant. please let me know what you have found out since your last post. thanks

leona

i had a us yesterdaybut did not get the results yet and i saw two black spots can anyone tell me if this is normal. my hcg is at 7 but i had a negative urine pregnancy test

leona

Hi everyone i had another hcg done on friday and went to the hospital today and my numbers went from 6 to 7 which is very low. can anyone help me out here and give me some advoice, i am now put on bedrest

leona

i have taken 4 hpt this week and they all came back postive. i had blood done last friday the 26 of nov but my hcg is only 6 and i am having like a normal period. i have had two other chidren but can’t really remmeber since it was 13 13 years ago. i was wondering if anyone else has had the same thing and everything turned out good. i did have a m/c in aug of this year and i am scared that it could be happening again. hoping that someone could help me out with this

Amanda

I recently had a miscarrage in feb. of 2010…and i took a pregnancy test nov. 5th (this month) and it said positive. so i took two more and they all said positive. im so afraid that i will have a miscarrage again. i work 12 hour shifts at a factory. i dont do much hard work but lift some heavy boxes. im so worried every moment. is there anything i can do to prevent a miscarrage? i know rest and proping my feet up help. but i want to be sure that this baby is safe.

mirna

hi just wanted to know what this means, i had blood drawn out on friday my hcg was 178 and then back again on monday it was 785 is that normal? ive had 4 miscarriages and i have no children… im really worried.

My hCG levels were at 2,000 last Friday and by Monday, they were at 11,000. Is there a chance I could have twins?

CARRIE

About a year ago i had my left ovary removed. i have four year old daughter. Im having ALL the symptoms as when i had my daughter if not much worse…. Having only one ovary now im wondering if my Hormone levels are too low to read positive. and how long i should wait to retest with a urine test and or blood test. what should i do?

Melissa
I found out about 2 weeks ago that I am pregnant. Based on the time frame I should be about 6 weeks. This past Friday I went to the emergency room because I was having cramping and bleeding. The doctor ordered blood work and an ultrasound. The blood work came back and it did say that I was pregnant, but that my HcG level was only 220. Today I went to my doctor,…he did yet another ultrasound, and he was not able to find anything in my uterus. He ordered more blood work. But now I have to wait. What… Read more »
kate

i have just found out i am 5wks pregnant, this will be my 3rd child and i had my hcg levels checked on wednesday 9th decmber and they were 994 and i have had them checked today and they are over 3000, i am just wondering how likely is it that i am having twins as twins do run on both my side and my husbands side?

Ms May

i have a question my hcg levels came back <2 to 70 im just wondering if theres a chance i could be pregnant or is it negative..

Sarah
I just want to say don’t rely on the hcg numbers too closely. We had an ultrasound last Friday because I had been spotting for a week straight, but no heavy bleeding or cramping. The ultrasound did not show a heartbeat but only measured for about 5 weeks. They did a blood test and I returned after 48 hrs for another. They called yesterday and said the numbers increased, but not enough that they felt were viable pregnancy and we were going to schedule a D&C. Today we went in for another ultrasound to make sure before scheduling the D&C… Read more »
mel

wll i hope everything is ok for you. ive since bled for 2 days and been told im miscarrying. my hcg levels are slowly dropping awaiting more on monday(now sat) im kind of expecting then to have stopped dropping cos i dont think ive bled enough… bled more with others. im so desperate for another child too. im only 23 but have lost 5 babies. i have one beautifull little girl who is my world. good luck

Denise
I have recently had some same issues. i am only about four weeks pregnant maybe even 3 hard to say right now, i have PCOS and ionly one ovary had a miscarriage and eptopic with twins in january. I got pregnant again and my numbers seemed to be doing fine. Doctor said everything is looking ok than last night (tuesday) i bleed dark blood for only a short few minutes, than it stopped. now i am having discharge and i am so confused. i read that it might be decidual bleeding in early pregnancy, where the uterus is quite attached… Read more »
mel

i have recently found out that i am pregnant again. my hcg levels have dropped slightly in 48hours. doc has said its probably a failed pregnancy. this is very dis heartning as i have alredy had 2 ectopics and 2 m/c’s! back to hospital on monday to find out whats happening!! no bleeding or cramps just brown stuff. confused.

Allison

Raquel,
I’m not a doctor but you seem right on track with the increase just slightly higher than doubling, however, t inceases this high sometimes indicate multiples acording to another site I came across earlier. Sorry I don’t remeber what site. Just look up HCG level increase maybe you will come across it. My levels are not doing as well as well as yours. Congrats.

I have had 3 miscarriages in 4 years. I just found out a week ago I am pregnant agian. On thursday night around 6pm my levels were 610. On Sunday morning I had my blood drawn and now my levels are 2429. Any ideas whats going on? I thought they are supposed to double.

[…] is based on the lowest amount of the pregnancy hormone hCG ( X ) the test can detect. The lower the amount to register, the earlier the test will be able to […]

Stephanie

I have been bleeding for over 2 weeks (normal menstral period like), my hcg levels on the 14th were 1568, 20th was 5679, 22nd 7580, I am apprx5-8 weeks along (they keep changing it), the doc doesn’t seem to be concerned much about the bleeding but should i and what does it mean? I have one child, and have had one miscarriage 3 yrs ago.

I went to the doctor and they told me my progesterone was ok but that my HCG levels did not go up as much as they would have liked. I went back today and had more blood drawn. I have no history of miscarriage but what are the odds that I have one now?

crystal

i found out that i am prgnant on 2/17/09 on that day my hcg level was 65, i had it taken again on 2/19 it on that day was 71, than again on 2/21 and on that day it was 92. Does this mean that there is something wrong, or can it still be a normal pregnancy?

fred

what the difference of value of HCG in normalpregnency and ectopic pregnancy.
how we can read it ?
tks

Ashely

My period was due on the 15th of december. My husband was home between the dates of November 30th and December 18 I took two tests on the 18th and they both came back positive.. My question is considering we have fateral twins already what are our chances of having multiples again. Becasue according to my conception date I am only two weeks. Last time I took a test this early we where having our twins.

kessiah

I have been bleeding for two days and on 12-6-08 my level was 220 and today on 12-8-08 my levels where 379 is this normal?

[…] are two things that make acne in pregnancy more prevalent. One is the increase of the hormone progesterone, and the other is the mother’s level of hydration. Not only does progesterone […]

im 6 weeks today have had bleeding for 7 days no pain my level on 9/5/08 was 1,062and on9/2/08 they were 843 is this normal