Awesome Newborn Photography Tips
The newborn phase passes quickly. Before you know it they aren’t so small and crinkly, and they are starting to fill out and are totally changed from when they were first born. The window of opportunity to document this phase is small. The key is to shoot often. In this digital age you shouldn’t be afraid to fill up that whole memory card. You are bound to have a few great shots of your new baby. The bad shots can be easily deleted.
Here are some tips to help you take awesome photographs of your newborn baby:
- Make it a habit: take pictures all the time. It will be wonderful to look back on the first bath, the first visit from that special relative, the first time everything and anything. Establishing this habit early on will also ensure that you are adequately documenting your child’s life through photography.
- Taking pictures all the time means that you are snapping during those not-so-perfect, cranky times. Babies, like the rest of us, have changing moods. Why not capture it all?
- Use props like a special rattle or stuffed animal. Also, make sure to use the people in your baby’s life as props. Capture and commemorate those special moments between baby and her siblings, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins.
- Light, Camera, Action:
- When taking pictures of newborns especially you should seek soft, diffused light. Take pictures of your baby by the window as opposed to in direct sunlight. Overcast days are really some of the best lighting conditions.
- Eliminate red eye by enabling the red eye reduction function on your camera. Also try to divert your babies eyes from looking directly into the camera as this will help eliminate red eye, too.
- Surely newborns are easy to pose, but you should strive to catch your baby moving. Set your camera to it’s sports mode so you can catch all the movements of you precious newborn.
Don’t be stingy, either. Print those pictures up and share them with your loved ones. Make sure to fill up baby photo albums, hang prints on your walls, or scrapbook. This phase in life is short and you will feel so fulfilled knowing that you documented it appropriately!
Do you know your baby's birth stone? Birth Flower? How about when you'll be handing over the car keys? Check out our popular Fun Birthday Facts Calculator to discover fun trivia about your baby's birth or due date!