13 Early Signs of Pregnancy

Early Signs of Pregnancy
Are you pregnant? Often, our bodies give us the signs of pregnancy before that plus sign ever shows up on a pregnancy test. However, many signs of pregnancy could also be symptoms of a medical problem or even just premenstrual syndrome, so it’s important to take that test as soon as a positive result is possible. Possible signs of pregnancy are:

1. Missed Period

A late or missed period is often the first early pregnancy symptom you’ll notice. Some women may bleed lightly during pregnancy. If this occurs in the first few weeks, it could be implantation bleeding which is usually very light. Heavy bleeding after a period is late or after a pregnancy test has shown you are pregnant could indicate a miscarriage and you should speak with your doctor.

Other factors may also create an irregular menstrual cycle or a missed period. These include:

• Excessive changes in weight and/or diet
  • Hormonal imbalances
  • Stress
  • Going off birth control pills
  • Breastfeeding
  • Travel, esp. involving changes in altitude
  • Illness
  • Antibiotics

2. Headaches

The sudden rise of hormones in your body can cause headaches in early pregnancy answering the question ‘Are headaches a sign of pregnancy.’ But since headaches are so prevalent in women and have so many other causes, this is not usually a good indicator of pregnancy unless accompanied by other symptoms. Headaches may be caused by:

• Dehydration
  • Caffeine withdrawal
  • PMS
  • Eye strain
  • Stress
  • Cold or flu
  • Seasonal allergies
  • Sinus infection

Am I Pregnant?

What was the date of your last menstrual cycle?

3. Swollen / Sore Breasts

A woman’s breasts may become sore, swollen or tender as early as one or two weeks after conception. However, this is also a sign of PMS so, if you experience sore breasts, you may want to wait until the first day of your missed period to take a home pregnancy test. You may also experience swollen or sore breasts if you have a hormone imbalance or recently started birth control pills or other hormone-based birth control.

4. Implantation Bleeding

Implantation bleeding, in women who experience it, can be a confusing symptom of pregnancy. When the embryo implants into the uterine wall, some blood may be released. However, only about 20 to 30 percent of women experience this bleeding, which is really more like a pink or very light red discharge of blood. Any bleeding that is not your period should be discussed with your doctor.

5. Tiredness / Feeling Sleepy

Extreme fatigue or even feeling more tired than usual could indicate pregnancy and may begin as early as the first week after conception. However, there are multiple other factors that could make a woman tired, so if tiredness is not accompanied by other symptoms of pregnancy, consider other factors first.

• Are you getting enough sleep?
  • Are you under stress?
  • Could you have a cold or the flu?

Stress, exhaustion, depression, illnesses, a change in exercise habits or even a change in diet can leave you feeling fatigued.

6. Nausea / Morning Sickness

This well-known pregnancy symptom will often show up between two and eight weeks after conception, and typically subsides at the start of the second trimester. Some women do not experience morning sickness at all, while some feel a degree of nausea throughout pregnancy. Rule out other causes first, including food poisoning, irritable bowel syndrome, stomach disorders, stress and a stomach flu.

7. Back Pain

Lower back pain may be a symptom that occurs in early pregnancy, but it may begin at any time during your pregnancy and last until delivery, or come and go based on your level of physical activity and other factors.

Like most pregnancy symptoms, backaches may be caused by a number of other factors, including impending menstruation, stress, back problems, physical injuries such as pulled muscles.

8. Frequent Urination

Around six to eight weeks after conception, as the uterus grows and shifts, taking up more room in your abdomen and exerting force on your bladder, you may experience frequent urination. Frequent urination in the absence of other pregnancy symptoms, however, could indicate a problem such as:

• Urinary tract infection
  • Bladder infection
  • Diabetes

Using diuretics or increasing your liquid intake may also cause more frequent urination.

9. Darkening of Areolas

If you are pregnant, the skin around your nipples may get darker. This may also be caused by a hormone imbalance not related to pregnancy. Areolas may not return to their original color after childbirth.

10. Food Cravings

As any pregnant woman – or her husband who hit the convenience store at midnight for ice cream, with or without pickles – can attest, pregnancy food cravings are not a myth. They can last throughout your entire pregnancy, but usually don’t appear until the second trimester or late in the first trimester.
Dieting, PMS, lack of a certain nutrients, stress or depression can also cause food cravings. Click here to read about some strange food cravings experienced by the BOL bloggers.

11. Enhanced Sense of Smell

For moms-to-be pregnant for the first time, an enhanced sense of smell is often one of the oddest symptoms of pregnancy. This evolutionary trait may have developed to help pregnant women detect – and avoid – spoiled foods before they ate them. It can be embarrassing if you have to leave a room because of someone’s intense body odor or want to gag around people with the scent of third-hand smoke clinging to their bodies.

12. Mood Swings

It’s not just a myth. All those hormonal changes going on in your body can wreak havoc with your mood, too. Of course, mood swings can also be caused by stress or plain old garden variety PMS. Some women actually experience improved moods – or a more stable mood if they previously suffered from PMS-related mood swings – during pregnancy. Others discover that one or two specific individuals “push their buttons” but that people, as a whole, are easier to tolerate.

13. Increased Hunger

Doctors recommend that women not gain much weight in the first trimester, but you may feel hungrier than usual. To keep weight in check, maintain a healthy diet and eat lots of foods high in fiber, which are filling and will also help alleviate constipation. Drink a glass of water before every meal, too. Pregnant women shouldn’t need to increase their caloric intake to accommodate the growing fetus until the start of the second trimester, when they should eat approximately 300 extra calories per day. You can also maintain a high level of physical activity in the first trimester, which will help prevent excessive weight gain.

Later Pregnancy Symptoms

Some symptoms – such as a backache or headaches – may begin in the first trimester and persist throughout pregnancy. Others appear later.

1. Feeling extremely warm / hot flashes
  2. Varicose veins
  3. Quickening (fetal movement)
  4. Shortness of breath
  5. Stretch marks
  6. Changes in all areas of your body, including hair, skin and nails
  7. Blurred vision
  8. Insomnia

Essentially, “anything goes” when it comes to pregnancy symptoms. If you are concerned about any reactions you’re having or changes to your body, speak with your midwife or obstetrician.

Could You Be Pregnant?

If you are Trying To Conceive and are experiencing early signs of pregnancy, this could be good news! If you think you may be pregnant, today’s Home Pregnancy Tests can show positive results as early as a week before your period is due. If you’re not ready to buy a pregnancy test just yet, enter your last menstrual cycle date into our Due Date Calculator to determine when you ovulated last. That will give you a little insight too!

438 Comments on "13 Early Signs of Pregnancy"

Jayne

I have 7 days left until my period starts. I ovulated on the 28th of September. We had intercourse on that night. Since then , my breast have been swollen and tender , I have never had this before, could I be pregnant??

Shayne'

I have been going threw the most in these past 2 weeks first my Breast got horribly sore then the cramps came along a week past and I have threw up twice at night time … I get headaches and slightly dizzy I don’t sleep as I used to I took an at home pregnancy test and it was negative but tonight I began to spot. Oh I haven’t menstruated since May -15

lexi

Hi all ok so I had a period in July on the 4th then in August it came on the 12th, September I didn’t have one I.e missed period now Oct 4th I came on yesterday but the cramps are worse than when i have a normal period help I need answers please!

kia

I had unprotected sex with my boyfriend 5 days before my period was due. 3 days after I started to feel nauseous, and sick to my stomach. The day before my period was due I experienced brownish spotting and some bad cramps and back pain. The day after my period was due I had light bleeding and cramps that stopped that night. Is there a chance that I may be pregnant?

Kenya

OK period is now 4 days late, for past week and a half I been unbelievably sick every morning (unexplained) stretchy feeling I’m my abdomen and pubic area. Now today put of nowhere I go to pee, and look down and see a light spotting of pinkish looking blood. I wipe and there was a little. I just went to use it again, and nothing. I had been experiencing pregnancy symptoms, but now I’m worried

Vickie

I am 2 weeks late. I was suppose to start on 9-12-15. When i was suppose to start i was discharging a lot of clear stuff. On saturday 9-26 i wiped n brown stuff came out. Sunday nothing. Monday morning when i went to pee i wiped and saw dark brown/red and clear mix. Later on the day it was light pink. Just wondering if any one has had this before if so what was the outcome.

Sabrina

Hi I had my period July 16 2015 and august I spotted and it went off a week later I spotted again and it went off September I still have not had a period I took a test but it said not pregnant so what could it be please help me!!!!

Tiffany
Hi, so my boyfriend and I had unprotected sex on August 13th and I was suppose to start my period on August 30th but it never happened so on September 11th I did 3 home tests and they all came back negative, and then on September 12th I thought I started my period because I was bleeding but it only lasted until the 14th, which is very abnormal for me (I have a very regular period, and I’ve never been on birth control) then the next 2 days I was randomly spotting. I have tender breasts and fatigue, and sometimes… Read more »

Hi. so im a little confused right now,my last menstrual was 9/3/15 my cycle is usually 24 days apart.now on the 23 I experienced a light pink and brownish discharge, then today 25th two days before my exact period im seeing light pink discharge again no cramping, someone plz help me.

hi am mickey.am 18yrs old I had a moscarriage on 14th of september 2015 nd I had unprotected sex on 19th of september nd we had sex for 6days so now I feel dizzy..headeache..tiredness and my breast are sore so am I pregnant again??cuz whn we had sex i was spotting a little bit

Lupe

I had a quick question. So I missed my period by 5 days and I have been having pain in my back and my breasts are quiet larger than usual. I touch them to see if they hurt but they don’t. I have also had cramps. Should I be concerned.?? Thanks you

josie
Hi, I had unprotected sex but took the morning after pill the day after. After that I was bleeding irregularly twice in the space of 2 weeks, then I missed my august period but then had a weak spotting clotting period for 3 days; whilst having incredibly bad pains in my pelvis. I took a pregnancy test a week before I had that spotting but it said negative, I did another 2 a week after and still both negative, I need help I’ve been in so much pain the past 2 weeks in my lower pelvis, I don’t know weather… Read more »
Braidy
I am so curious whats going on with me. I have been having unprotected sex with my boyfriend before and after my period. I want to know if it plays a factor but I do only have one ovary. So I had my period 5 days early (which is normal for the season change) but about 3-4 days after my period I had pink discharge on my toilet paper after peeing but that only lasted one day. Since then my stomach has felt full(ish) or like cramping but not as intense as period cramping. I’ve felt like I’m In a… Read more »
sandy

Hi wondering if you can help, my period for Sept is yet to come. I am trying to have my 2nd but no joy. I am getting alot more headaches and my breasts had a tingly sensation in each today. Feel bloated and today I just did a HPT, 1st one came back positive and did another 2 as I couldn’t believe my eyes and these were negative. I had sex on my ovulation day. Is this a indication that I could be pregnant??? Plz help!!!

Jordan

Hi in August I got my cycle on the 3rd and the 26 it was 3 days early had intercourse on the 21st of August it’s now Sept and I’m late all my pregnancy test say negative… Urinating more abdomen and breast swore… Also I masturbated last Saturday blood was on the toy but it went was away…

Deberah

i have sensitive breasts and twitching in the virgina area turning to cramp kind of feeling recently and back pains recently i have done a pregnancy test today (friday) but not due on my period until the coming sunday.. the test was negative i have to add.. i am tired alot but which mother with 3 children aren’t lol.. any ideas or anyone with similar symptoms ? thank you in advance

Mikayla

Hi…. my buttox hurts and i’m having abdominal pains. this has been hurting for 5 days now. hurts whenever i get up and try to sit up. like this morning I had a hard time getting up and moving during the night. I even have to walk on my tippy toes when my buttox hurts. could this be an early sign that i’m pregnant? I’m like freaking out and I’m getting emotional and all and this is the worst pain that I have felt.

Deerika

I have been throwing up every 2 weeks, I have a cold that has not went away, I have hot flashes, I lost my appetite, I have headaches, back pain, sore breast, no energy, and mood swings like crazy, my period was irregular it was late, I’ve gained weight in my stomach and breast but I lost weight everywhere else, my stomach always feel like something is moving but the crazy thing is I have a sickle cell trait..! Can someone help me?

I had my period 3 weeks ago and about a week and half ago i got this browny/redy blood, it hasnt gone away and it is no the nearly 2 weeks, i’ve been getting headaches reguraly. the colour of the brown has gotten lighter and occasionally gets a a light to dark red tinge, what could it be? and im due for my period in a weeks time

heather

Hi, i had a normal period the first week of July like I always do. The last week of July I spotted for 3 days. I didn’t have one in august. And I still have not had one the first week of September. I took a home pregnancy test this morning and it came back negative. What do I need to do?

Summer

I was off of my pill for over a month and I am a week late. I have pain in my stomach, I get sick to my stomach, and I have a Increased apatite. I hasnt taking a test yet but could I possibly be pregnant

Shawntae

Hello…ladies I’m trying to figure out what’s going on with me I been having unprotected sex for the longest trying to conceive having nausea lower back pains light headed dizziness… Haven’t seen my period in like 2 months but I think its irregular but idk really wants going on because I can take a home pregnancy and it turns out to be negative so I don’t know what to do next…any answer on what I should do next

shawnta

Hi, my name is Shawnta. I had sex with my husband all this month and I have been having blurred vision, dizzy spells, I’m very tired, hot flashes, back pain, smelling things, feeling like i want to throw up. I usually love to eat rice but now i cant eat it because i feel really sick afterwards. The funny thing about this thing is my period came a week late, im not having any pain and is regular. I don’t know what to think.

Jess

Oky so I’m 5 days late today but 2 weeks before I should have gotten my period I had gotten a pain in the stomach. Than the falowing week I got cramps n pains in my stomach n bloated almost all the time an sore tender breast. An till know tht I’m 5 days late I’m still have those symptos only more sleepy an lazy.what could this mean ????

diamond

Hello ladies I believe I may be pregnant not sure took a test a week after unprotected it was negative but this past week I’ve been peeing more breast are tender can’t sleep at night white discharge a heartburn the last few nights waking me out my sleep also a funny taste in my mouth and a little emotional I’m going to take another test today this would be my 5th chid each one was different so I will take the test and update hope this is helpful to someone

amanda

I’m having all the symptoms of pregnancy but how can I went I have my tube tied??
Just so confusing

Leah
So here is my story, my last period was end of June, I skipped July period. I’ve been tired, sore boobs, headaches, notice my veins in my boobs, cheat and arms more exposed and noticeable. I went to doc bc I just wasn’t feeling right and was worried about an UTI, so they gave me an antibiotic and I’ve taken two pills. Last night I went outside and literally like peed myself, then today I was shopping and felt like another fluid released so went to bathroom and it was blood and I have been bleeding all day today but… Read more »
chante

For the past 2 weeks my breasts have been really sensitive, I’ve got massive headaches that started yesterday and backaches.my period is still due to come so I’m not sure if I should take a test now or wait until the end of the month.

Shar

My last period was July 18 and I had spotting July 28. I was due for my period August but it didn’t come. And today I’m spotting. My boyfriend and I have both been extremely exhausted. I noticed I’m snappy and having hot flashes. I don’t know what to do? Should I test or ride it out as my period?

Mo

im pregnant 7wks and I pee too much especially night,not vomiting too much and my husband is having a problem of nausea, I have backaches,sharp point headache, fatigue

Darcy

Hey, i had my period early this mounth on August 02, but i only lasted four days. When i usually last 5-6 days. And I’m 17. I don’t know if I’m just freaking out. So can someone please explain to me. Just tp put my mind at ease.

lorely
Hi. I have recently had a baby he is now 5 months old…my last period started 16th July 2 weeks after that I had so easy spotting it started off brown and then turned to a pinky colour I’m now feeling exhausted urinating more sore breasts and a bit nausea especially when I eat also feel bloates. I am not due on for another 5 days but I feel as tho I could be pregnant…you think I would know myself but I don’t know if it’s just pms. We haven’t been using any contraception as previously it has interfered with… Read more »
Makayla

Im 17 years old ive been off the deprovera shot for 7 months me and my fiance have been trying to have a kid and ive been sick to my stomach for 3 days and been overly tired could I possibly be pregnant

nera
Hi I’m nera my period. Is 5days late I suppose to got it on the 22of July but. Didn’t in its now the 27th of July. I been getting light head every time I get up to stand up. I been also having. Like pressure pain in my lower back in one sharp one the comes in go in the center of my back in two weeks. Before my period supposed to came on I was getting. Really bad cramping in uncomfortable stomach pains.in sides in my moods swings r scaring me I got so mad I throw lettuce at… Read more »
mackenzie
Hi I need help..I have been feeling alot more irritated with everyone and felt extremely fatigue and my eating habits have changed alot I barely eat now and I always feel nauseated and also I been cramping so much and having alot side and lower back pains. I have not spotted at all only white discharges and my breasts hasn’t hurt at all just been alot itchy these past days. I had sex on June 20th was suppose to get my period July 7th and today is July 23rd and I am now 15dpo I have got a negative on… Read more »
Lisa

Hi missed my period 5 days late I haven’t really added everything up but last week or so been so tired I am getting enough sleep breasts are sore also going the toilet all through the night just have to sit and wait it out and see what Mother Nature is up to

Lissa
Hello, I have been trying to conceive for the last few months now. I was on the pill in Oct stopped taking them started for one month in April stopped taking them again I haven’t been on birth control since. I got my period on July 6th,2015 it only lasted 2 and a half days when it lasts 4 to 5. Not only that it was only heavy for one day then it was very light nothing on the pad.. I have been with cramps off and on slight headaches. Nausea when I eat current food or smell.I am on… Read more »
Cece

Hi, so on Tuesday I got my period. But it was lighter then normal. Was having cramps, but my cramps only last the first 2 days. I’m on my last day, my period lasts 6 days, and there’s been like nothing there but there is, and I still have cramps. I’ve been peeing more, back aches, lightheadedness, dizziness, hot, headaches, tired as all can be, hungry but loss of appetite, heart burn, sore breasts, thirsty, nauseous, and I feel like I might be constipated. Could someone please help me?

Bree

hi my name is Dani I’ve been very nauseous the last few days though I’ve been trying to get pregant.I’m just not sure if it to soon for all this.. I have sore breasts abdominal pain my hormones are fly everwhere and Im getting hot flashes and head aches. I know these are signs but how soon is to soon for all these.

marina

Hello I was just wondering if any one can help me out. My period was supposed to come on June 24 but was a week late but on the third day of my period me and my boyfriend had sex. The next day my period was gone. Yesterday I started bleeding brown so I thought I started again (5 days after we had sex) but 2 hours later it was gone. Is it possible that I could be pregnant? Please help!

Deedee
I have a dilemma. I have spotted for 2 days prior to my period ok fine but its only been a wipe one day. In the morning. Then nothing. Day 2 the same. I had sex on the 6th of july and i had a period on june 20. Lasted for 4days. Now im eating pickles and chocolate. Can someone help me. Yes. I have other children but no 2 0pregnancy are alike. I havent had a baby in 9yrs. Im 41. All i know to do right now is wait to see if my period come which is on… Read more »
Deedee

Dear lizzy
I can help u with that. I already have 9 children and the last one was a dozey. I was tild by wveryone in the hood that i was prego..i said no. I took a pt and it came back neg. So i started eating ice cream and jalopenas. The pains in my stomach kicked up…so im still hanging on neg. Bet. Im still getting bigger. I took test at the dr.for 4 months straight all said neg. Until i went to the 5th month thats when it came back positive. So yes it can happen just like that.

Kate

Hi I’m having all the symptoms of being pregnant and it’s not just one it’s basically all of them, I can’t possible be pregnant as I am on birth control pills and I know I haven’t forgotten to take any but there’s that doubt in my mind. I’ve been on the same pill for 6 years, Last week I had some light spotting and that’s never happened before, it was only for that day. I was in the middle of my pill cycle so no where near ready to have my period. I’m just really worried

Karla
Hi My Name Is Karla, And I Have Taken A Pregnancy Test And It Turned Out Negative.But My Cousins Wife Whos Pregnant Said I Could Be Becuz Of Some Symptoms I Been Having. The First Time I Took A Pregnancy Test Was May 13,15. Sense Then I Been Having Irregualr Periods Til Know. And Yes,Me And My Boyfriend Been Having Sex Unprotect Sex. My Last Period Was June 20,15. Sense Then I Havent Had A Period And I Been Having Some Symptoms. I Just Dont Know If Its True Sense It Havent Been A Month,Specially Cuz I Havent Had A… Read more »
Cynthia

Can I still get pregnant while my tubes are tied the reason I ask is because my period
last 5 days but it usually last for 10 days my bottom of my stomach has been hurting

rhec

I’m 17. I was two weeks late for my period then I had sex and two days later I started.. A week after my period ended I spotted twice in two days, very light pink. Its been about a week since then and my whole belly is tightening. I have pains in my belly and I’m tired a lot. I have nausea but barley throw up.. I have an increased appetite.. And I have horrible mood swings and headaches. I haven’t taken a test yet, but.. Can I be pregnant ?

Naomi Kungu

Hi was supposed to get my periods on 15th of this month but didn’t.
Had sore boobs for two days then they went back to normal.
I have really become emotional and I feel tired like always.
Took two urine tests but both came out negative . what’s up with my body?
P’s my husband and I are ttc.

Deidra

I was suppose to get my period the 9th of June but it’s been two weeks and still nothing I have spotted brownish and there’s times I feel sick but I won’t throw up. I’ve been really tired and hungry. I took a test one week after my mised period and it came out negative should I try again? I’ve had mood swings along with my husband as well he has been getting the same symptoms.please help I need to know

neenee

Hey I’m not sure but I had a baby when I was 14 and I didn’t experience any thing it was a smooth pregnancy.But I have had two more miscarriage witch was painful but for the last week. I have been feeling really sick to my stomach nausea and headaches sleeping a lot haven’t been eating a lot body really feel weak could I be pregnant?

Destiney

Hey my name is destiney and I have taken a pregnancy test and it turned out negative my boyfriends brother in law who’s feince is pregnant says I could be cuz of how much weight I have gain my nausea back pains and weird cravings. I just don’t know if it is true its been about a month since I have took the pregnancy test and me and my boyfriend have had sex a few more times and I haven’t taken the test yet. Could I be pregnant?