13 Early Signs of Pregnancy

Early Signs of Pregnancy
Are you pregnant? Often, our bodies give us the signs of pregnancy before that plus sign ever shows up on a pregnancy test. However, many signs of pregnancy could also be symptoms of a medical problem or even just premenstrual syndrome, so it’s important to take that test as soon as a positive result is possible. Possible signs of pregnancy are:

1. Missed Period

A late or missed period is often the first early pregnancy symptom you’ll notice. Some women may bleed lightly during pregnancy. If this occurs in the first few weeks, it could be implantation bleeding which is usually very light. Heavy bleeding after a period is late or after a pregnancy test has shown you are pregnant could indicate a miscarriage and you should speak with your doctor.

Other factors may also create an irregular menstrual cycle or a missed period. These include:

• Excessive changes in weight and/or diet
  • Hormonal imbalances
  • Stress
  • Going off birth control pills
  • Breastfeeding
  • Travel, esp. involving changes in altitude
  • Illness
  • Antibiotics

2. Headaches

The sudden rise of hormones in your body can cause headaches in early pregnancy answering the question ‘Are headaches a sign of pregnancy.’ But since headaches are so prevalent in women and have so many other causes, this is not usually a good indicator of pregnancy unless accompanied by other symptoms. Headaches may be caused by:

• Dehydration
  • Caffeine withdrawal
  • PMS
  • Eye strain
  • Stress
  • Cold or flu
  • Seasonal allergies
  • Sinus infection

Am I Pregnant?

What was the date of your last menstrual cycle?

3. Swollen / Sore Breasts

A woman’s breasts may become sore, swollen or tender as early as one or two weeks after conception. However, this is also a sign of PMS so, if you experience sore breasts, you may want to wait until the first day of your missed period to take a home pregnancy test. You may also experience swollen or sore breasts if you have a hormone imbalance or recently started birth control pills or other hormone-based birth control.

4. Implantation Bleeding

Implantation bleeding, in women who experience it, can be a confusing symptom of pregnancy. When the embryo implants into the uterine wall, some blood may be released. However, only about 20 to 30 percent of women experience this bleeding, which is really more like a pink or very light red discharge of blood. Any bleeding that is not your period should be discussed with your doctor.

5. Tiredness / Feeling Sleepy

Extreme fatigue or even feeling more tired than usual could indicate pregnancy and may begin as early as the first week after conception. However, there are multiple other factors that could make a woman tired, so if tiredness is not accompanied by other symptoms of pregnancy, consider other factors first.

• Are you getting enough sleep?
  • Are you under stress?
  • Could you have a cold or the flu?

Stress, exhaustion, depression, illnesses, a change in exercise habits or even a change in diet can leave you feeling fatigued.

6. Nausea / Morning Sickness

This well-known pregnancy symptom will often show up between two and eight weeks after conception, and typically subsides at the start of the second trimester. Some women do not experience morning sickness at all, while some feel a degree of nausea throughout pregnancy. Rule out other causes first, including food poisoning, irritable bowel syndrome, stomach disorders, stress and a stomach flu.

7. Back Pain

Lower back pain may be a symptom that occurs in early pregnancy, but it may begin at any time during your pregnancy and last until delivery, or come and go based on your level of physical activity and other factors.

Like most pregnancy symptoms, backaches may be caused by a number of other factors, including impending menstruation, stress, back problems, physical injuries such as pulled muscles.

8. Frequent Urination

Around six to eight weeks after conception, as the uterus grows and shifts, taking up more room in your abdomen and exerting force on your bladder, you may experience frequent urination. Frequent urination in the absence of other pregnancy symptoms, however, could indicate a problem such as:

• Urinary tract infection
  • Bladder infection
  • Diabetes

Using diuretics or increasing your liquid intake may also cause more frequent urination.

9. Darkening of Areolas

If you are pregnant, the skin around your nipples may get darker. This may also be caused by a hormone imbalance not related to pregnancy. Areolas may not return to their original color after childbirth.

10. Food Cravings

As any pregnant woman – or her husband who hit the convenience store at midnight for ice cream, with or without pickles – can attest, pregnancy food cravings are not a myth. They can last throughout your entire pregnancy, but usually don’t appear until the second trimester or late in the first trimester.
Dieting, PMS, lack of a certain nutrients, stress or depression can also cause food cravings. Click here to read about some strange food cravings experienced by the BOL bloggers.

11. Enhanced Sense of Smell

For moms-to-be pregnant for the first time, an enhanced sense of smell is often one of the oddest symptoms of pregnancy. This evolutionary trait may have developed to help pregnant women detect – and avoid – spoiled foods before they ate them. It can be embarrassing if you have to leave a room because of someone’s intense body odor or want to gag around people with the scent of third-hand smoke clinging to their bodies.

12. Mood Swings

It’s not just a myth. All those hormonal changes going on in your body can wreak havoc with your mood, too. Of course, mood swings can also be caused by stress or plain old garden variety PMS. Some women actually experience improved moods – or a more stable mood if they previously suffered from PMS-related mood swings – during pregnancy. Others discover that one or two specific individuals “push their buttons” but that people, as a whole, are easier to tolerate.

13. Increased Hunger

Doctors recommend that women not gain much weight in the first trimester, but you may feel hungrier than usual. To keep weight in check, maintain a healthy diet and eat lots of foods high in fiber, which are filling and will also help alleviate constipation. Drink a glass of water before every meal, too. Pregnant women shouldn’t need to increase their caloric intake to accommodate the growing fetus until the start of the second trimester, when they should eat approximately 300 extra calories per day. You can also maintain a high level of physical activity in the first trimester, which will help prevent excessive weight gain.

Later Pregnancy Symptoms

Some symptoms – such as a backache or headaches – may begin in the first trimester and persist throughout pregnancy. Others appear later.

1. Feeling extremely warm / hot flashes
  2. Varicose veins
  3. Quickening (fetal movement)
  4. Shortness of breath
  5. Stretch marks
  6. Changes in all areas of your body, including hair, skin and nails
  7. Blurred vision
  8. Insomnia

Essentially, “anything goes” when it comes to pregnancy symptoms. If you are concerned about any reactions you’re having or changes to your body, speak with your midwife or obstetrician.

Could You Be Pregnant?

If you are Trying To Conceive and are experiencing early signs of pregnancy, this could be good news! If you think you may be pregnant, today’s Home Pregnancy Tests can show positive results as early as a week before your period is due. If you’re not ready to buy a pregnancy test just yet, enter your last menstrual cycle date into our Due Date Calculator to determine when you ovulated last. That will give you a little insight too!

438 Comments on "13 Early Signs of Pregnancy"

missy
Hi my name is Missy I am not having regular periods for the last to months I use to bleep hard 7 days straight now it’s just to days then spotting here and there I want to go to the doctors but I’m terrified I lost my daughter (stillborn) 38 weeks last July if I am pregnant can that be a reason why I’m bleeding I’m under alot of stress I have sore boons back hurts tired headaches and sharp pain down my right leg… just to let everyone know when I was pregnant with my daughter I was on… Read more »
Andrea
I’ve always had a decent period. They all have been the same kind of flow ever since I have gotten my period as a teen. But this period is extremely light. I’ve never had a period like this before. Its so light that hours of the day almost 8 or more hours I do not bleed. I am sexually active with my boyfriend. For example we had sex cause we thought it was a light spotting and I’ve had my period last a few days before. After sex he said that I was bleeding again. I am so confused on… Read more »
Antanell

Hi! I saw my period may 26th my period usually last about 5 days the most but it went untell 7 days then over. Then about 2-3 days after I woke up to pee and there was blood in the toilet when i look at my pants it was messed up is this a sign of pregnancy or misscarage

Emily

Hey I think I might be pregnant… But I’m not sure I’m happy either way but I went to the bathroom and blood came out not very much but enough for me to be like uhm wtf? I am on birth control but I know its still possible I’m going to take a test asap but any advice ? I’d love to hear it thanks

carlina

Hi my last period was may 22nd I’ve been having unprotected sex every day ever since my period was over. My breast have been sore for the past 3 days nd I’m not cramping or anything but when I pee nd wipe my self I see a light color of blood for 2 days now could I be pregnant or is my period about to come down even tho it’s not time for it?

Jaleesa

I’ve Been Trying To Conceive And I’ve Had Cramps For The Last 3 Days . I Also Got My Period Twice In May Which Isn’t Normal , No Period Yet For June , I’m Really Hoping I’m Pregnant!

lovie

I started my periods on the 24 may and lasted till 25th may.I’ve been having a terrible headache and feeling tired.sometimes I feel like there is something heavy in my vegina. I am just wondering if am not pregnant.

Veronica

According to my last period I am 2weeks and 6days pregnant I found out I was pregnant 5 days ago but I’m already got nausea, high sense of smell,I’ve been hungry almost every 2 hours,and I pee a lot now, and my belly has been itching ,I was also spotting and that’s what made me see if I was pregnant.is it normal to have symptoms like this so early?

Jheng

Hi! My boyfriend and I had unprotected sex on 26th of February and about to have my period on 3rd of March but gt it delayed for 5 days and only have 1 day period and very light on April period came late again by 13th and again for 1 day and now it’s already May 26h still haven’t my period, I have test twice and result wer both negative 🙁 am I pregnant or not? I’m afraid to consult a doctor pls help

saima
Hi I had last period on April 23 and may 21 I had brown spots. The next day it was,little dark reddish or dark brownish but it was less bleeding then normal,but I wore pads. Then throughout the day it was light pinkish. Then at night it was like how at the end it gets v light sometime it would be v llight pink n sometime it would brown spots and today on 23 its,v light just how when period ends v light pink that was the color. In these 3 days from spot to light pink to dark red… Read more »
jame

hi I’ve b3n TTC for 4 years I had my periods for 5 days then I had sex after I m now having sore breast and pain on an off on lower right side of abdomen and it pains little and stops den agIn and then on left is it possible tob pregnant is it too early to test???

Angelica
My periods are wacky. Not last year but the year before that I was on three diff bc in just one year, so I had no period for a year and a half. . Then I got back on bc to see if it would regulate my period, and it did. Two weeks ago (05/9/15) I started my period. It lasted 5 days. I had sex and tried to conceive. Then had sex 5 days later (05/18/15). Yesterday I started having a brown/pink discharge, and some light cramping. I also has it today. See I don’t know when I ovulate.… Read more »
Alexandria

Hi, I think I might be pregnant. Me an my fiancé are trying to concieve I’m not really sure what day last month my period started but about a week an a half ago I had some brown discharge it only happened in the morning an it happened for a bout 2 days i only seen it when i wiped an on the 3rd day I had some light bleeding that also showed up when I wiped now my breast have been sore my areolas are getting darker!

[…] Early signs of pregnancy – pregnancy symptoms | early […]

lizzy
Frm last year November I starete bleeding but I just finsh my cycle two weeks after I had sex with boyfriend two weeks I started bleeding again I had a terrible pain days later the bleeding was gone and I started getting short breast and headaches I thought maybe I was sick and nausea started and. I went and bought pregnancy test it come out negative february I went to the clinic I went to the clinic one checked me and he said I was four month. Pregnant but when I went to the mou this one nurse made me… Read more »
JAY

my period started on the exact date but my worry now is that on that day I only noticed light blood in the morning and in the evening only, then on my second day it was light blood the whole day, on my third day I started vomiting and having stomach ache still producing light blood but not every moment

Gemma

I am not due on until the 13th but the last few weeks my boobs have been sore I took a 2 pregnancy test witch say negative today I have really bad stabbing pain in my belly and even more sore boobs and nipples seem to have got bigger or long swollen :/ could I be pregnant or just expecting a heavy period?

chelsea

I was late on my period an was nausea but finally got it was kinda irregular now im at the end of it an still have nausea an daily headaches for the past few days HPT says negative

Rachel
My last period was from March 26, 2015 and ended on April 1, 2015. My boyfriend and I had sex on April 13, 2015. Is it possible I’m pregnant? I have the similar signs for menstruation like usual, but more symptoms that had lead me to believe I may be experiencing early signs of pregnancy mainly as I’ve never experienced these feelings before with my periods (ex: mood swings, being very emotional, sudden cravings, pains when I’m even the slightest bit hungry, shortness of breath, random/more frequent appetite, headeaches/back pain, random fatigue and tiredness, frequent urination etc.) until today where… Read more »
Alexis
Okay so two days ago I was for certain I was pregnant because I had shown signs. Example, my nipples were completely swollen andi had taken 2-4 hour naps in a day. I had been getting mood swings as well, I was listening to a song that was played at my dads funeral when I was a kid and I had broken up in tears. The very next day I start my period and instead of feeling relieved I was completely worried that I did something wrong. My partner was happy that I was bleeding and I couldn’t let them… Read more »
buhle xana

I am Buhle,I am 17 years old.My boyfriend asked for a baby but I denied that because I am still young and I cannot afford to have a baby.I slept with him on the 8th of December and I suspected something after that because I feel dizzy and mood swings are there.I went to periods but I am still confused.Am I pregnant?

Dejaa

Im only 17 , im on the depo prevera birth control shot ive had unprotected sex like 3 weeks ago & lately ive been feelings alot of fatigue, eating habits are different, i have really bad nausea but i wont throw up & back pain .. Am I pregnant? 🙁

Mummy

I’m a mother of two after my second child I had a tubal done, but over the last few months I have noticed some pretty odd stuff going on with my body wise. Staying tired,getting sick sometimes, the feeling that my bladder dont empty completly, getting full easy. What would cause some of these symptoms And a sore spot in only one spot in my stomach that often seem’s to hurt a lot sometime’s. Could I be pregnant or would this be something more seirous to worry about ?

kristen

For the passed couple of weeks I’ve been waking up nauseous, tired and I have had my period but it was light not normal. My period usually lasts up to six days this last one was four days. I’ve thought about taking a pregnancy test but I’m afraid to. I’ve been pregnant before but I miscarried. I never felt nauseous mainly tired. Can someone please respond to this?

penny

lately i have been sleepy i can not keep my eyes open, i have this headache that comes and goes i am tired all the time and its not like i work extra hard or anything im always seated and was on my periods just a couple of days but they where on and off i would get a heavy flow then i get drops then the last day i heard a 1 min flow and i constantly want to eat

HEy everyone l have been feeling too much heat in my stomach especially a throbbing heat on my back could l be pregnant

cassie

hi i think i could possible be pregnant with my second child my last period was november 21st and on the 1st of dec the condom broke on my husband i am late on my period and have sore breasts i took two pregnancy test and both came out negative can i still be pregnant

danielle

And in a lot of pain in my belly underneath and on my left hand side it’s annorying me 🙁

danielle

Hey I am new 2 this I am spitting up blood first time not a lot tho only done it once up to yet is it bad? Keep having lots of asder can u help me please I am nearly 13weeks.

Hi am experiencing period cramping,but manageable sometimes dizziness,slight headache back cramping ,as well as blotting and nausea. Could that be a sign of pregnancy. Ans please

prevashodivoje

ehh i kind of had a period, but its lighter than it normally is. Also my breast have been lightly tender and ive been tired but i think that has been from staying up too 3 and 4 in the morning.

Krystal

Hi i haven’t been myself for the past weeks ive been nauseous, ive been so tired i dont feeling talking to anybody an if i do i get annoyed and angry for every little thing and then the the next minute im laugh i pee every hour like clock work an i just ate a good amount of food an its like i didn’t eat anything! And my hormones are bad? Do these signs mean im pregnant or is it something else? Please Help

Mrs B
Hi ladies, I’m 46 and TTC #1 – Appx 4/15 had implantation bleeding. The first two weeks was waking up w/ headaches every morning at the base of my skull – not terrible but nagging. Headaches went away, followed by belly bloat, lots of gas and peeing about every 1/2 hr. Taking naps and sleeping long hrs which i never do, w/ occasional insomnia – Vivid dreams, drooling in my sleep (my mouth is usually bone dry) moderate cramping now and some breast tenderness. Heightened smell (good, bad or indifferent, when I could rarely smell anything before) – Irritible, mood… Read more »
tiffany

Hey I think am preganat but not sor am having breast sorenes am feeling hot and with smelly discharges my periods is not due until 2weeks plz help

i have airregular periods.i missed periods on january and it came on february 4th.now i am felling i am pregnant,my abdomen is biger than the normal.i think in first month the abdomen wil not be enlarged.but having pain and discomfort while sitting(below the breast).and weght gain 1-2kg.am i pregnant or not

liz
Hi! Im 22 years old and i have some of thses symptoms but cant afford a doc right now. I been feeling dizzy if i read for like couple mins, hot flashes and night sweats, wen i want to eat it makes me feel sick i think i lost some wait. I feel a tad more tired than normal and me period feels different than normal its fist heavy then light then heavey, i didnt have cramps till like four hours later.. I had a watery dissgarge i think it was clear no smell… And that never happend to me… Read more »
Amanda

Hi, I’ve tried a few times in the past to get pregnant but its never worked. My period is a little messed up due to having a thyroid problem but its never been like this, it is light almost not there. There is some clotting but its very light and stringy. Lately I’ve been a lot hungrier then normal and i do feel bloated. Could I possibly be expecting?

rowena

Hi..ive had menses on 19 0ct…after my menses ive had sex on 27th oct…today 11nov, i felt my breast r sore and frequent urination occur as well…sometimes i felt light cramping like a period cramp…could i be pregnant…im so curious…

Jess

Everyone needs to simply get a pregnancy test, if you had sex and are not on any type of BC! These signs/symptoms may be caused by numerous things. If you cannot a afford a test go to planned parenthood or go to your school nurse who will help you. If you are young and are scared believe me when I tell you that your parents will help you and if they do not someone will.

scared
I’m 16 and I took anti biotics not knowing my birthcontrol would become in effective I had sex in late august and nothing its oct 8 2012 I cannot tell my mom or my bfs they’ll flip out I have had a slight fever. Headache back ache nausea every meal I have and my bf says I’ve become moody latley I also have sore breast but no darkening I have 0$ so I can’t buy a test but this Friday I have a cat scan will they be able to tell and if I am will the cat scan hurt… Read more »
lauren
I have been have period type pains in my upper belly and last night it was like a shooting pain down below it only lasted a second I’m really worried as me&my boyfriend split I think I’m pregnant due to the swollen belly and pains I feel sick in the mornings but not actually sick!, I can’t be far along but I can’t afford a preg test I’ve tried phoning doctors to make an appointment but I chicken out I’m really scared I don’t want to tell my mum just incase I aint can anyone tell me how I can… Read more »
spring
hello first time i never ask but i am scared and need help i am 22 years old been married for 5 with 2 beautiful girls and never had pregnant signs befor with my 2 girls i had my normal periods with them never even knew i was pregnat with my first but my second baby girl i had periods like normal got a pregnant belly with her but this is different for me i have been feeling bloated feeling sick my nipples throb spotting brown and pink my pee test has been saying yes then no yes then no… Read more »

i had my tubes tied and burnt and clip in 2003 and i won’t a other baby for my husband so is it possible for me to have a other baby i’m fixing to be 31 in september 1 and i won’t a other real bad it will make me happy so please give me a good ansewer what i want to hear.

michelle
Well I been on birthcontrol for a year now and I never expericed light bleeding unless it was time for my period. I jus had unprotected sex the first day of last month period which was august 7. I started having a cramps aug 18 and light bleeding. At first it was little spots of blood (bright red) and now its pink. It still comes on my panty liner but mainly wen I wipe. I having off and on breast pain and my period don’t come on until another 2 weeks. This has been going on for 3 days now.… Read more »

I’m 43 of age .my tubes are cut tied and burnt for apx 16years now.all my mensuration cycles have always been on time and normal flow.odd thing is ,it is now close to time for my period but something different ,I am spotting light brown blood with occasional darker brown discharge ,I feel like my body wants to start ,signs of bloating sore breast but no flow of blood.could I possibly be pregnant ?????crazy question I know I feel really different ,light headed at times increased appetite and I’m tired

Kannmani

i hv all sympots but i’m not feeling vomitting would i be preganant?

sam

I have had many symptoms of being pregnant and my periods are regular but it is late this month. some symptoms i have had are sore breasts, aching back, slight nausia, headaches constantly ( for the last 4 days) and ive been drinking water constently and i have been extremely tierd. I havent taken any tests but I plan to soon if my period doesnt start. am I pregnant?

Lauren
hi I had 2 and half days of bleeding (alot lighter than my usual period, usually i have to change about 10 times a day this was barely scraping 2) I’m hungry all the bloody time, my periods now 15 days late (i’m really regular with my periods) i’m moody as hell (crying then sulking, laughing then crying again) i need to pee all the time, i have killer indigestion (i NEVER get indigestion and never have) and i have light stomach cramps (usually i’m immobilised when i’m coming on), i took a pregnancy test a week and half ago… Read more »