13 Early Signs of Pregnancy

Early Signs of Pregnancy
Are you pregnant? Often, our bodies give us the signs of pregnancy before that plus sign ever shows up on a pregnancy test. However, many signs of pregnancy could also be symptoms of a medical problem or even just premenstrual syndrome, so it’s important to take that test as soon as a positive result is possible. Possible signs of pregnancy are:

1. Missed Period

A late or missed period is often the first early pregnancy symptom you’ll notice. Some women may bleed lightly during pregnancy. If this occurs in the first few weeks, it could be implantation bleeding which is usually very light. Heavy bleeding after a period is late or after a pregnancy test has shown you are pregnant could indicate a miscarriage and you should speak with your doctor.

Other factors may also create an irregular menstrual cycle or a missed period. These include:

• Excessive changes in weight and/or diet
  • Hormonal imbalances
  • Stress
  • Going off birth control pills
  • Breastfeeding
  • Travel, esp. involving changes in altitude
  • Illness
  • Antibiotics

2. Headaches

The sudden rise of hormones in your body can cause headaches in early pregnancy answering the question ‘Are headaches a sign of pregnancy.’ But since headaches are so prevalent in women and have so many other causes, this is not usually a good indicator of pregnancy unless accompanied by other symptoms. Headaches may be caused by:

• Dehydration
  • Caffeine withdrawal
  • PMS
  • Eye strain
  • Stress
  • Cold or flu
  • Seasonal allergies
  • Sinus infection

Am I Pregnant?

What was the date of your last menstrual cycle?

3. Swollen / Sore Breasts

A woman’s breasts may become sore, swollen or tender as early as one or two weeks after conception. However, this is also a sign of PMS so, if you experience sore breasts, you may want to wait until the first day of your missed period to take a home pregnancy test. You may also experience swollen or sore breasts if you have a hormone imbalance or recently started birth control pills or other hormone-based birth control.

4. Implantation Bleeding

Implantation bleeding, in women who experience it, can be a confusing symptom of pregnancy. When the embryo implants into the uterine wall, some blood may be released. However, only about 20 to 30 percent of women experience this bleeding, which is really more like a pink or very light red discharge of blood. Any bleeding that is not your period should be discussed with your doctor.

5. Tiredness / Feeling Sleepy

Extreme fatigue or even feeling more tired than usual could indicate pregnancy and may begin as early as the first week after conception. However, there are multiple other factors that could make a woman tired, so if tiredness is not accompanied by other symptoms of pregnancy, consider other factors first.

• Are you getting enough sleep?
  • Are you under stress?
  • Could you have a cold or the flu?

Stress, exhaustion, depression, illnesses, a change in exercise habits or even a change in diet can leave you feeling fatigued.

6. Nausea / Morning Sickness

This well-known pregnancy symptom will often show up between two and eight weeks after conception, and typically subsides at the start of the second trimester. Some women do not experience morning sickness at all, while some feel a degree of nausea throughout pregnancy. Rule out other causes first, including food poisoning, irritable bowel syndrome, stomach disorders, stress and a stomach flu.

7. Back Pain

Lower back pain may be a symptom that occurs in early pregnancy, but it may begin at any time during your pregnancy and last until delivery, or come and go based on your level of physical activity and other factors.

Like most pregnancy symptoms, backaches may be caused by a number of other factors, including impending menstruation, stress, back problems, physical injuries such as pulled muscles.

8. Frequent Urination

Around six to eight weeks after conception, as the uterus grows and shifts, taking up more room in your abdomen and exerting force on your bladder, you may experience frequent urination. Frequent urination in the absence of other pregnancy symptoms, however, could indicate a problem such as:

• Urinary tract infection
  • Bladder infection
  • Diabetes

Using diuretics or increasing your liquid intake may also cause more frequent urination.

9. Darkening of Areolas

If you are pregnant, the skin around your nipples may get darker. This may also be caused by a hormone imbalance not related to pregnancy. Areolas may not return to their original color after childbirth.

10. Food Cravings

As any pregnant woman – or her husband who hit the convenience store at midnight for ice cream, with or without pickles – can attest, pregnancy food cravings are not a myth. They can last throughout your entire pregnancy, but usually don’t appear until the second trimester or late in the first trimester.
Dieting, PMS, lack of a certain nutrients, stress or depression can also cause food cravings. Click here to read about some strange food cravings experienced by the BOL bloggers.

11. Enhanced Sense of Smell

For moms-to-be pregnant for the first time, an enhanced sense of smell is often one of the oddest symptoms of pregnancy. This evolutionary trait may have developed to help pregnant women detect – and avoid – spoiled foods before they ate them. It can be embarrassing if you have to leave a room because of someone’s intense body odor or want to gag around people with the scent of third-hand smoke clinging to their bodies.

12. Mood Swings

It’s not just a myth. All those hormonal changes going on in your body can wreak havoc with your mood, too. Of course, mood swings can also be caused by stress or plain old garden variety PMS. Some women actually experience improved moods – or a more stable mood if they previously suffered from PMS-related mood swings – during pregnancy. Others discover that one or two specific individuals “push their buttons” but that people, as a whole, are easier to tolerate.

13. Increased Hunger

Doctors recommend that women not gain much weight in the first trimester, but you may feel hungrier than usual. To keep weight in check, maintain a healthy diet and eat lots of foods high in fiber, which are filling and will also help alleviate constipation. Drink a glass of water before every meal, too. Pregnant women shouldn’t need to increase their caloric intake to accommodate the growing fetus until the start of the second trimester, when they should eat approximately 300 extra calories per day. You can also maintain a high level of physical activity in the first trimester, which will help prevent excessive weight gain.

Later Pregnancy Symptoms

Some symptoms – such as a backache or headaches – may begin in the first trimester and persist throughout pregnancy. Others appear later.

1. Feeling extremely warm / hot flashes
  2. Varicose veins
  3. Quickening (fetal movement)
  4. Shortness of breath
  5. Stretch marks
  6. Changes in all areas of your body, including hair, skin and nails
  7. Blurred vision
  8. Insomnia

Essentially, “anything goes” when it comes to pregnancy symptoms. If you are concerned about any reactions you’re having or changes to your body, speak with your midwife or obstetrician.

Could You Be Pregnant?

If you are Trying To Conceive and are experiencing early signs of pregnancy, this could be good news! If you think you may be pregnant, today’s Home Pregnancy Tests can show positive results as early as a week before your period is due. If you’re not ready to buy a pregnancy test just yet, enter your last menstrual cycle date into our Due Date Calculator to determine when you ovulated last. That will give you a little insight too!

438 Comments on "13 Early Signs of Pregnancy"

i had a preterm delivery at 25weeks of pregnancy and the baby died.i have seen my first menstruation after delivery on 8 Dec,2008 and expect to see the next on 3 Jan 2009 because i used to have a regular circle of 26 days. i am dizzy and unnecessary hungry and mild dislike of some smells. i had a home pregnancy test and the result was negative though it is a little early.Could it be because am hoping to get pregnant again soonest to do away with the trauma of the last episode and to have a child of my… Read more »
jen

i have been having almost all the symptoms since the 26 of DEC.My last period was on the 10.
I do not know if m pregnant.
i feel like iam but i dont know if iam having this felling because i want it so bad.

Sarah

Well, i know this may sound a little crazy but i had sex on December 23 and im behind on my period by about 5 days am i thinking too much about it or is there a possiblity?

ebony

my cycle was due on the 7th of november and i am now 23 days late. i have taken 4 hpt and they all show negative results. i have sweaty hand, fast heart rate but no appetie.whats goin on? my plan is to wait until the 7th of january to see if my cycle shows up if not then im goin to the doctor.

Amanda

Last sex was 13 days ago. Last 2 days I almost gag right before I eat and the nausea stays with me for hours. My breast aren’t sore, but my nipples are. Had a light discharge for a couple of days. I have had 2 random crying spells. If Im not pregnant I need to figure out what is wrong w/me!! Meanwhile by fiance is eating full meals back to back and he’s not a big eater. *sigh* My period is due on Christmas. Im just anxious to find out.

Andy

heyy. um i had unprotected sex like three weeks ago and i’ve been dead tired this past week. and i keeping thinking maybe i’m pregnant. do you think i am??

Anonymous

so its been 15 days since i last had intercourse making it the 8th. i ended my period the week of halloween and i haven’t had one since. i’ve thrown up twice but i dont have any other signs. i’m still scared and i dont know what to do. do you think i’m pregnant?

brittany

Had pregnant like symptoms head aches, tender breasts, darker ovulas, nausia, threw up today but I started my period today n its light and pinkish me & my husband have been trying to get preg 4 two months n no success, could I be pregnant?

i havent been feeling myself so i called the doctor and they said got to wait 10 days after the first missed period. feeling kind of full when i didnt eat that much,sleepy,a little tired when i havent did that much work.

diamond B
I had my perioud last month in october 2 times. Like 2, 3 weeks apart. I had a fall out with the boyfriend had sexy wit someone new. Idk why and now I am wit a good man for sure now. But I had sex with all 3 around the same time the space came before my next period. When I eat sometimes it just goes str8 2 my belly instead of my stomach and idk wha that means I feel very very much sick these past 2 weeks or so and were are in novemeber.. What’s going on. Am… Read more »
babyphat

my period is due the 20th of Nov…for about a week or so I have sum cramps and for the past 3 days I have brown/redish when I wipe. Im also very tired, hungry, gassy, stressed, major headaches,thristy and I`m constapatied, oh so fun.
I had a miscarriege at the end of september..so I hope this works out, if not we have another month to try it again!

lena

I had my period on October 19th. My cycle is regular. I had sex with my boyfriend three times on the 4th of this month. All three times he came inside me. I feel queasy and I have a lot of gas. I have some cramping and I’m constantly spitting. Could I be pregnant?..

teishia
I had my period on Oct. 20 (I have a regular 28-29 day cycle) I had sex with my boyfriend on day 10 of my cycle which was my first fertile day I didn’t have sex with him again until the day before I ovulated and on the day that I ovulated and couple days after that on the 7 of this months the symptoms started first I couldn’t sleep I was tossing and turning all night and my back was hurting a little then I started feeling really tired. Had a headache for two days and was feeling queasy… Read more »
Erika
I am having the same issues. I have had something like a “period” but 2 days before i had spotting, and it lasted for about 2-3 days and then the light period stopped and 2 days later i spotted, an then just yesterday i saw pink again. I have Very Swollen feet and my nipples look burnt Lol and they are tender/ swollen! my tummy is bloated and my i have been having head aches, but no morning sickmess. I do have naesua but i never vomit, i have did not have morning sickness in my last pregnancy. So im… Read more »
Sansha

Hey maria im n a similiar situation i had unprotected sex around and n ovulation bt got my period for 3 days. It was light flow red 2 days and brown 3 day, now im queasy tired have heartburn and low back pain. I took 2 hpt ws neg. Im confused can somebody help

Nadine

Hey my name is Nadine. I was wondering if I could be pregnant with my second child. I had my period last week but I only had it for half a day and I’ve been having it like that for the last month but my doctor says I’m not. What do u think could be wrong??

Lauren

I have tender and sore breasts,lower back ache,a bit of a cramping in my lower abdomen and feel tired all the time. Could i be pregnant??

[…] early sign of pregnancy that can sometimes last through the third trimester is nosebleeds. Nosebleeds are more common […]

naynay

im havin unpretected sex with my boyfriend.Im a mother,my daugther is 11months.I cant remember when was my last preiod, i feel like a ass bcuz i didnt want a next child.

Krisette

I had my period 12 days early last month and this month it’s 11 dyas late so far. what’s odd is that i have some symptoms but a lot of pregnancy symptoms can also be the same as menstrual. i have been discharging small amounts of a white liquid – nothing major…confusing even though this will be my fourth pregnancy!

maria
hello, i had my period last sept on the 22nd (its always on time if not the 22nd then the 23 i was get reguarl periods) but last month i got my period for only 3day when usally stay (well always 5days) it was light spotting which started out browness red then bright red and today is the oct 22 and it started again but this time its light bright red im spotting im not sure i prego but there still can be a change i can be? isnt there? i havent tested cuz im kinda SCARED i might be… Read more »
Vanessa

A month back i had a D&C due to a miscarriage, but being a month later i experienced frequent urination, tiredness, heartburn and nausea and the feeling hot flushes and my feet tend to swell. Just wondering if i am or not preggies but the symptoms are similar to the previous syms i had … so im keeping fingers crossed

Amanda

Hi..I am 2 weeks late. I have also taken 2 HPT and they both have come back negative, but i have a lot of pregnancy symptoms, such as dizziness, bloated, gas, headaches, i spotted a few days before my period was suppose to start, and have been having a really hard time falling asleep at night even though i an exhausted. Could I still be pregnant even though I got 2 negatives???

Anne

i last had sex about a month ago. the same day i got off my period. i normally get my period every 3 weeks. i’m constantly eating now, i’m always tired, and i go to the bathroom like 3 times an hour. i can’t sleep at night and my breasts are sore. is it too early to know if i’m pregnant?

shervon

hi i am wondering my period ended a week ago i have been having unprotected sex with my husband everyday since the day my period ended, i have been feeling extremely tired cant stay awake, cramps, lower back aches i dont kow whats going on could these be early pregnancy signs.

shervon

hi i am wondering my period ended a week ago i have been having unprotected sex with my husband everyday since the day my period ended, i have been feeling extremely tired can stay awake, cramps, lower back aches i dont kow whats going on could these be early pregnancy signs.

Nique

Hi I am wondering if I could be pregnant….I had unprotected sex with my bf on the last day of my period and again 8 days after my period ended, each time he came in me. I have been feeling tired and lightheaded as well as a little spotting with a little cramping this week. Could this be signs that I am pregnant??

Hello, I just recently stopped my bcp about 2 weeks ago and I have already ovulated and now I am very nauseated and my breasts are swollen and I am going to the bathroom often. My period isn’t until a couple of weeks from now. Could I be pregnant?

Amanda
I had my period about 2 weeks before my wedding. It has been a week and a half now since I believe I conceived, and the past 3 days I have been extremely dizzy. First if I stood up or turned my head I would feel spinning in my head. Late in the second day, it worsened to the point where the dizziness made me feel like I might throw up. Today is my third day, my doctor gave me a prescription for Diclectin and it helps a lot but when the medication wears off I feel so dizzy just… Read more »
Liz

I have the exact same question as Enary, it’s actually eerily similar. The same thing happened to me, at the same time. 2 week period (I’m always regular. Always), very brown at first and not red until the end. Weird cravings and metal mouth, etc. I haven’t taken any tests though…. because I was positive that you bleed less or not at all when pregnant, not MORE and LONGER. Right?

Enary
Last month my period seem like it lasted almost 2 weeks bcuz at first it was brown then it became bright red then later red…. I came off the end of Aug now here it is the begining of Sept and I’m on again but this time it’s bright red and I have alot blood clots…. my nipples have been sore for about 2 weeks I’ve been eating butter crunch cookies everyday for a week and lately it’s seems like my stomach gets bigger after every bite or drink….. I took 2 preg test and both were neg…am I pregnant… Read more »
Pee

I think am pregnant, my breasts are swollen and I go to the bathroom quite often. Was expecting my period today, but its still not here. Am I pregnant?

jelly0418
i had my last menstruation last month day 4…and i had sex aug. 18 and as i calculate it was one of my fertile days….we had an unprotected sex….and im always 28~30 days cycle…and i should have my period this month 2 ~4 and im now delayed for 3~5 days…i had my home pregnancy test last day night and yesterday morning..it was neg. well,some similar and common symptoms that im feeling are…more frequent trips to the bathroom…swollen breast…a little bit more tired than before…i dont have morning sickness but when i eat it feels that im bloating…im not just sure… Read more »
shen

it’s been excatly 15 days after my last sex.. i didn’t experience some of those symptoms aside from back aches, head aches and stomach cramps.. i already had my menstration for about 1week.. it’s quite lighter but longer period coz usually i only had 3-5 days mens. period… do you think im pregnant??

lorachikita

I’m currently 12 dpo and I’ve been spotting brown for the past 3 days, I’ve been getting bad headaches which I’ve never had for 3 days in a row now, fatigue (I’ve even fallen asleep in a restaurant), my back hurts and I get cramps.

Gabby

ehh i kind of had a period, but its lighter than it normally is. Also my breast have been lightly tender and ive been tired but i think that has been from staying up too 3 and 4 in the morning.

Lena

I have been spotting the last few days and it is a dark brown color. I have some other symtoms of pregnancy what what conserns me is that I had my tube tied several years ago.

I get queesy when in a car, I turn away from foods I usually eat, spotting, headaches, fatigue,backaches, my feet are starting to swell and I am getting dizzy for no reason.

Lindsey

The last couple of days i have been feeling Nausea. And today i threw up this morning. And i have been getting headacahs. Today my back is hurting a little.

1 7 8 9