Gender Predicting Old Wives Tales

There are a lot of old wives tales regarding pregnancy. Everything from taking baths, to the accuracy of ultrasounds will have a tale to go along with it. However there are certain old wives tales that are specific to the gender of your baby.

Shape of Moms’ Belly
Some say if the woman’s belly is big and round it means that she is carrying a girl. Likewise, if her belly is smaller and sticking straight out than she is carrying a boy. The way a woman carries her baby has nothing to do with the sex, but has everything to do with the body shape and type that the woman naturally has, when not pregnant.

Direction of the Ring
Many people believe in the good old ring test as a way to tell what the sex of their baby is going to be. In this test you hang your wedding ring from a string over your belly. If the ring swings back and forth your baby is a boy. If it swings around in a circle then it is a girl. This is not very good indication of whether or not you are having a boy or a girl. Fact is, if you hang your ring over any object or person it is going to swing.

Fast Heart Rate Tale
Some people believe that if your baby has a fast heart rate, near 170 beats per minute, then that means you are having a girl, and that if your baby’s heart rate is closer to 150 beats per minute then you are having a boy. This also is false. You baby’s heart rate will get faster and stronger during the first trimester as he/she grows. Then the heart rate fluctuates in speed during sleep and active times for your baby, just like an adults. So depending on when you listen to your baby’s heart rate, it might be faster or slower than it was the day before, or even earlier that same day.

The Shape of Moms Face
Some people believe that the shape of your face determines the sex of your baby. If your face is round then you are having a girl, long and narrow means a boy. This is just a myth however because where a woman stores fat and water during pregnancy has nothing to do with the sex of their baby. Along with that some believe that if your nose starts to grow or widen then you are having a girl because daughters “steal” mom’s beauty. While this sounds like something out of a fairy tale, it is simply an old wives tale.

The Key Test
Then there is the key test. Some say that if you can tell your baby’s sex by picking up a single key. If you pick the key up by big, round (top) part then you are having a boy. If you pick it up by the narrow part on the bottom then you are having a girl. Then, as if it isn’t detailed enough, if you pick the key up by the middle you are having TWINS!

The Mayan Tale
If you are Mayan then you may follow their beliefs and use numbers to determine the sex of your baby. The Mayans take the mothers age at conception and the year of conception and add them together. If the result is a even number then mom is having a girl. If the result is an odd number then a boy is on the way! The Chinese have a similar way of determining the sex of a baby.

Drain-O Test
So many people believe this old wives tale which is completely false. They are told to put a tablespoon of Drain-O in a cup and pee into it. If the mixture turns green you are having a girl. If it turns blue you are having a boy. Supposedly there is something in the moms’ urine that mixes with the Drain-O causing it to change color and determine the baby’s sex.

Acne Myth
Acne during pregnancy is caused by hormones, not the sex of your baby. However, many believe that if you have an increased amount of acne during pregnancy then it means you are having a baby girl.

Cravings
This one sounds good and can be an “explanation” for many of moms’ cravings, but is it true? Some people say that if you crave salty food while pregnant it means you are having a boy and if you crave sweet food while you are pregnant it means you are having a girl. Does this mean that baby girls are sweet and baby boys are salty?

Do You Smell Like Garlic?
The question should be, “Do you WANT to smell like garlic?” There are people that swear that the garlic old wives tale is true. They say that if you eat a clove of garlic, and the smell comes out through your pores then you are having a boy. If no garlic is detected then you are having a girl. Who really wants to find out THAT bad though?!

Ultrasounds Are Always Right
This one is definitely false. We have heard many stories where a woman has received an ultrasound, and sometimes more than one ultrasound where the doctor claims that she is having either a boy or a girl. The mother buys everything she needs for her little son or daughter, and when the day of delivery comes she is surprised with a baby of the opposite sex. Most of the time the ultrasound technician gets it right, but that is not always the case.

These are just a few of the popular pregnancy old wives tales that deal with the sex of your baby. To see other pregnancy related old wives tales click here.

77 Comments on "Gender Predicting Old Wives Tales"

I had acne during both my pregnancies and I had girls, but i also carried very low and I have been told that if you carry low your having a boy, not in my case. I adore my girls and am trying to fall pregnant at the moment and I dont care what the sex is going to be, but yes it is interesting to hear all these myths, they make me laugh 🙂

Mandy

@Amber Marie-
Multiples are determined by the mother. Gender is determined by the father so it doesn’t matter if he has multiples in his family, just yours & even then, they could skip generations 😉

Reyana

Amber Marie- Twins would have to run in the females in your family, it has something to do with the females genes.

Amber Marie

my sister and i are pregnant together, im 18 weeks and she is 10 weeks… I finally talked her into doin the Drain-O test with me… Well needless to say hers turned greenish-yellow(like mt. Dew) and mine was like a reddish rust lookin color?? She seems to think im going to have twins. Which does runs in my boyfriends family. Can anyone help???

alina
i do not really believe all the wives tales, but it is fun to play around with. what else do we have to do till baby comes? but im dying to know what stephanie handy had. was it a boy? i have never had the ring trick done so it might be intersting to try. i had never heard of the drain-o test. sounds fun, but i hesitate to pee on chemicals….lol. i have heard about the urine test you can get at the drug store and think it would be interesting to see what it says. this is my… Read more »
Lisa Wade

My twin sister did the ring trick and it says I am having a boy. I got my friend who is prego & the Dr. told her she is having a boy do the ring trick and it says she was having a boy. I hope I am having a boy!!!

Stephanie Handy

I tried the ring test and it went back and forth, but my gut instinct is tellin me it’s a boy. But I’ll find out in three weeks!

inmr

In 28th week i did sosnography test & docotor – 60 years old radiogist said the gender is baby girl. I have already 2 girls and this time all pregency symptons quite opposite not like previous till date. we predict based on symptons baby boy. Please let us know is sonography result is 100% accurate @ 27 -28 weeks thanks.

Linda

Ariel had way too much attiude, calm down, the girl was just telling people about how things are different where ever you go. I love to hear everyones stories…where ever you’re from 🙂

ashley

i think the hole acne part is not true. i break out more with this pregancy then i did with my last and i had a lil gurl. my face was clear as day with her. i think it’s all acroding to ur body..

Well, I took a few ol’wives tale test that ask you question’s such as how your carrying, does the hair on your leg’s grow faster during pregnancy, the color of your unrine and the test said that
I was having a girl with my first child. All the test where right. I had a girl. Now I am carrying number two in all the test say
i’m having a boy. I hope all the test are right.

Lora

there is a scientific study published that proves the heart rate prediction is right 50% of the time. i did the chinese predictor chart for my last child and it was wrong, as were many of the other myths.

amanda marie

i did the ring test and had a person dangle it over my belly and it went in circles. the same result with whomever held the ring . tried the test on my non pregnant mother and sister and the ring stood still. weird.

Krista

Ariel had way too much attitude in her Sept. 29, 2008, at 1:17 pm post when she referred to Ahnntootz’s June 10, 2008, at 2:52 pm post about the belief in the Philippines. Geesh! No. 1, other countries are allowed to have opinions different from America. No. 2, I think it’s interesting that the Philippines belief is opposite and I thank Ahnntootz for sharing. That is all she was trying to do…share an interesting fact…and it is very immature of Areil to get all uppity about it. Shame on you Areil! Okay….

Krista
I had to have ultrasounds almost every week of my high risk pregnancy and was told I was having a boy up until the last week when a new tech said I was having a girl. It was a girl! My daughter spent most of the pregnancy up high (Up in my ribs high) and to the back…I didn’t even look pregnant until I was 8 months along. Everyone I know who had girls carried the same way, too. I’ve always used the Chinese Baby Chart for predicting gender for family and friends and it has NEVER been wrong! Now… Read more »
Mel Lord
I just wanted to see what every one was saying. Im carrying my first, my gut feeling is telling me im carrying a boy, both my mum and my sisters went off their gut feelings with all of their pregnancys and were right. Every one is telling me im having a girl cause of all the tales. The biggest one is the heart rate as the ultrasound tech told my mother in law (as she wont miss an ultra sound 🙁 ….) that i was having a girl. I dont believe in any of it….. But i just wish people… Read more »
DesireeH

I just did the Dran-O test and it didn’t turn green or blue. More like a cup of beer. With foam on top and dark yellow on bottom. So false!

Chrisia

Friendly speaking, I believe in Science and Technology.

However, it’s always a fun knowledge to get through those tales & myths.

Be calm and bring them along your pregnancy, it’s interesting!

Amanda

All three of our boys hearet rate was over the 170s and our newest munchkin is only in the 130s we just found out we are having a girl. So don’t trust the heart rate old wives tale, trust thr ultrasound! But it’s fun to play around with all the quizes. Every child is a joy and a blessing!

Lynnni

I tried the direction of the ring with both of my boys. Has yet to let me down. Try it it works!

Kai Marshall

I cant believe our Midwife told us that the speed of the heart could determine the sex of the baby.. thats why i came online to check it out.. i dont really mind either way as long as he/she is healthy..!! 😉

Brandi

I’ve done the needle test before I ever conceived, got pregnant–got acne very badly (I’d never had acne before I got pregnant), my sister’s husband and his father both told me I was going to have a boy.. They were right!!!! All the myths rang true!! However, the ultrasound technologists (3 of them) even got the weeks I was preggo wrong as well as the sex!

michelle

I think when people say you look like you are having a girl it’s like they are telling you that you look fat and your complexion looks bad. I broke out and gained the same amount of weight with my son and I am 7 months pregnant and people keep saying I look like I am carrying a girl. I just wish people would shut up and let me enjoy my pregnancy instead of focusing on how big my butt got or my complexion looking not so hot.

EddieS

The most accurate way is DNA testing! But you should only have such testing if there are other real concerns prompting your Dr. to suggest such tests at 13 CVS or 16 weeks AMNIO. The tests involve certain risks and are done when there are true medical issues like Perinatal checking for genetic issues, such as Down Syndrome.

ariel

all i have to say is ultrasound techs. are usually right but the only true way to tell the sex of your baby is to wait until it comes out……and honey that’s in the phillipines not in america here people believe if you look ugly during pregnancy your having a girl, because she steals the mother’s beauty and if you look good during pregnancy then your having a boy okay……

mommalins

Thank you for clearing up some of the commonly believed old wives tales! I can’t tell you how many times I heard people trying to guess the sex of my baby based on how I was carrying or how sick I was. And you know what? They were wrong almost every time! I just wait patiently for a good ultrasound tech to tell me what I’m having, and both times they were right.

ahnntootz

i just have comment and to share our views too on The Shape of Moms Face & Acne Myth — here in the Philippines, once the mother get too much of an acne then shell be having a baby boy, baby girl represent freshnesh and beauty to the mother. or if the mother went ugly during pregnancy shell be having a baby boy, and mother turns out to be looking young and happy shell gets a girl.