What is Implantation Bleeding?

Many women hear the term implantation bleeding used a lot in regards to the early stages of pregnancy, but unless they receive clarification on what this phenomenon actually is then it can be a scary experience.

What Exactly Is Implantation Bleeding?

During the early stages of pregnancy the ovum, or fertilized egg, attaches itself to the uterine wall. This always occurs within the First Trimester and can sometimes cause a little amount of blood to be released. This is the cause of implantation bleeding. The egg actually attaches itself to the mother’s circulatory system via the wall of the uterus, and this is where the blood comes from.

What Does Implantation Bleeding Feel Like?

Some women might feel Cramping Along With Implantation. In some instances women have already missed a period and are aware of the pregnancy. Not every woman detects implantation bleeding. Remember that pregnancies can be considered perfectly normal whether there is any bleeding in the early stages or not.

What Does Implantation Bleeding Look Like?

Many women wonder how to tell the difference between implantation bleeding and bleeding that could be a sign of something more serious. If you experience light spotting – such as only enough to wear a panty-liner – then it is most likely implantation bleeding.  Additionally, if the spotting is dark and not bright red, and the spotting ends quickly, this points to implantation bleeding as well. Keep in mind that this can be completely normal in the first trimester but you should always check with your doctor whenever bleeding occurs during a pregnancy.

What Else Could It Be?

There are other explanations if the bleeding is not due to implantation. Bleeding beyond light spotting may be a result of your menstrual cycle, and the lighter flow than normal could be caused by any number of things including stress. Changing your Birth Control can also cause a change in your bleeding flow and spotting can also be a sign of infection or abrasions from recent intercourse. When in doubt, contact your doctor.

Could I Be Pregnant?

If you are Trying To Conceive, this could be good news since Implantation Bleeding is one of the Signs of Early Pregnancy.  If you think you may be pregnant, today’s Home Pregnancy Tests can show positive results as early as a week before your period is due.  If you’re not ready to buy a pregnancy test just yet, enter your last menstrual cycle date into our Due Date Calculator to determine when you ovulated last.  That will give you a little insight too!

Did you experience implantation bleeding? Please share your story with us.

544 Comments on "What is Implantation Bleeding?"

Nicole

Is it possible not to have any implantation bleeding at all? Im about 5 weeks prego now, with not a speck of blood…is this normal? Every website I read about implantation bleeding doesnt mention anything about it being normal in pregnancy or not

Lulu

So, can you get implantation bleeding in the same week as you would your period or does it have to be early?

Worried

Hi everyone,
I had my HPT 3x an it’s all +, I’m supposed to have my period last 9/12 but didn’t instead a little spotting on and off, I’m worried since I read about how long implantation bleeding last it about 4 to 6 days mine is more until today when I pee I still noticed it. I never call dr appointment yet. Is it really true that implantation bleeding last only 4 to 6 days?

praying for pregnancy

For Tiffany.. You touched my heart, I’m in a similar situation as you are.. I’m impressed.. lol Keep the faith, I will also pray for you. I am also having a lite bleeding, not heavy enough to wear a pad, and keeping the hopes high that it is implantation bleding.. 🙂

tryingforever

I have been trying to get prgnant for 17 months. This month I started Puregon injecttions with an HCG shot.. The HCG shot was 12 days ago and today I have light brown discharge but major cramps…wonderng if it could be implantation or if I am just looking into an early period way to much. Its just seems early and I usually go from no blood to full on period within an hour…..any thoughts

clueless

Hi I’m 18 and I had sex on Aug. 29 and my period was due around august 15th or so. I took a pregnancy test and it came back negative. So I had sex with my boyfriend again on september 19 and he ejaculated inside me and ever since then I’ve been having pains in my side and my back. But today I saw a little red when I was using the restroom and I’ve been having cramps like my menstrual cycle is about to begin . I need help you guys please write back

Aysiah
Hi every one i 18 years old and heres wats happenin i had sex on jul 29 and had my period next the day i dont remember havin a period in august but in september i had sex again in the 9 and the 16 all unprotected not thinkin about the risks and 4 the past 3 weeks i been experiencing early pregnancy systoms like nausea change of appetite headaches etc….and then yesterday i experienced implantation bleeding and now it has stopped i was wonderin can someone help me or if they experienced it at all im getttin a test… Read more »
nikki

Hi everyone…..first off let me start off by saying good luck with ttc and pregnancy…….

Me and my fiancee have been ttc for about 3 yrs now…..I had a period on august 19 and it lasted till the 25th…..2 days b4 my birthday…..I was due for my period on sept 16th…..on the 18th I noticed brownish spotting but it stopped 2 hrs later…..then 2 days later…..yesterday it returned same color…..no need for pad or pantiliner….really light…….I was just wondering……could this be implantation bleeding????…..I’ve also been having symptoms like headaches, nausea, tired, and breastsoreness…..is it too early to test????

Kayla

I am about 4, 5 weeks into my pregnancy. I have not been in to see a doctor yet. Today I began bleeding, not too much. Enough to wear only a panty liner, and I believe it has stopped now, it’s been about 3 hrs. I am praying that this is what it is. I’m making an app. first thing Monday morning. I’m still worried though!

Iva from Slovenia
Hello ladies!I’m 26 years old.I’ve always had problems with both my ovaries and my uterus, so doctors told me I had a slim chance of having a baby without IVF. Me and my fiance have been trying to get pregnant for the last four years. I finally gave it up for a short time, saying we will try again later. We were still having sex during this time, but without thinking about a baby. I was due to have my period on September the tenth and was experiencing cramping for five days, but the period did not come. I decided… Read more »
Elisa

I had a pos preg. test on Sun 9/14 9 days past O. On Tues 9/16 I had a few small spotts of brown blood or discharge on underwear since the it has become barely there. I see small streaks and small particles of it when wiping still same color. I get sooo nervous because I have had two prior miscarriages over the last year.

Jules

Hi I had pink discharge on Friday and then again on Sunday and my period is not due until the 21st Sept. We have been ttc for the past eight years and were prescribed clomid about four years ago which did not work. We have just decided to not let it rule our lives and if it happens it happens.

After looking round the net we have noticed a lot of implantation bleeding and now wondering whether we have finally done it !!!

Sara
My DH and I decided to try for one more (we have 3 – I’ll be 40 at the end of the month.) I have been preg. 4 times (1 mc) and EACH time I had pinkish to light brown spotting between about 8-12 days post conception (before a missed period). It has always been very light and never bright red. The only time I had bright red was with the misscarriage – and that was preceeded by brown discharge. Brown means it’s “older” blood that took longer to get out. With the MC I didn’t find out (or start… Read more »
nicole

I have a 28 day menstrual cycle and I am not due for another 5 days. Yesterday i wiped with tissue to find a pinkish discharge. I have 1 child, but did not have implantation bleeding. Not sure if I’m pregnant, but ran across this website. I guess I’ll know in the next week or so. Thanks for the insite, because I had never heard of the term implantation bleeding.

Lexi

ok ive been worried i might be pregnant for a few days. ive been unusually tired, my hearts been beating faster, and i have headaches. im thinking that it just might be me stressed. Then yesterday i think i experienced implatation bleeding. Conception would have been on sunday so is that too early?

Tiffany All.
Hi Ladies… Okay so it’s about 2:47 am on my clock and I can’t sleep.. my mind is racing with all of these questions and concerns. My fiance and I are not really “trying” to get preg. but I am not no on BC and we have had unprotected sex, we are kinda looking at it as “if it happens it’s ment to be” (and we would fully embrace it.). I should mention the he is in the Army and stationed in Germany and I am here in Missouri until our wedding in March.. Anyways he just left from leave… Read more »

Hi , me and my husbandare trying , i’ve recently had my iud removed and my last mp was on 8/15 now it’s 9/10 and im iexperiencing mild cramping and very light spotting could i be pragnant

michelle

me and my boyfriend have trying get pregnant for two months now. i was preg back in april 08 but had a miscarriage. now yesterday sept 10 i sw pinkinsh blood only when i went to the bathroom and im eleven days late on my period. today when i woke up its heavier but but tapering off. i had the same thing happen last time except it only lasted a day could this be implantation bleeding? the frist time i was prego i had to take six tests b4 i got a + !!!

sunshine
About two weeks after my last period there was a small amount of blood that appeared on the sheets while my boyfriend and i were making love… not a lot just a small amount. I passed a small blood clot the next morning while I was urinating (sorry for being so graphic) Throughout the rest of the day I had a small amount of pinkish/brownish discharge whenever I wiped after using the restroom. I never had have ovulation bleeding before (I read somewhere that this happens to some women about 2 wks after their period ends?). My period is supposed… Read more »
My husband and I decided to try to have another baby when I was told that I might have endometriosis. I think my cycle is a 30 day cycle but I am not positive. We had sex on cycle 12, 14, 16 &18 and on Monday I took a pg test but it came back negative. I started cramping on 9/4/08 and have had cramps every day since. Saturday night I started with a sharp pain in my left side and it lasted until Monday morning off and on. Monday night I got the worst headache and started spotting a… Read more »
Sabrina

I am normally a 33 cycle day and today is 37, no sign of my period till just a few minutes ago, might be implantation bleeding because I have had cramping much like period cramping since Friday night with no sign of my period which that’s a long time to be cramping (4 days) and nothing start so we’ll see. Pregnancy test still comes up negative.

i had a lite period on august 6th to the 10th. on day 9 i started my first course of clomid. happily i found out a month later that i am prego. but i always questioned that light period, and now i am totally freaking out . what if i took the clomid when i was already preg. ? what affects would that have? i didnt even know there was such a thing as implantation bleeding. i gotta get an US. i am so scared now.

girlie girl
hi everyone…okay so my boyfriend and I have been having unprotected sex for a about a month now…and i wasnt taking any birthcontrol until our vacation to florida..i took it for about 5 days just to push my period off…well i have a full period on the 22nd of aug…that lasted 5 days…and after our trip we continued to have unprotected sex….we arent trying to get pregnant but if it happens it would be great, we are both stable and plan on being together for a while…well last week i took the plan b pill after sex….and now on sept… Read more »
Heather
My husband and I finally decided it was a good time to have another child. I had an IUD in and about 2 days after my period ended I had it removed. Right away we started having intercourse, about once a day at bedtime. It’s been about 10 days since the first day of my last period. The last couple of days I have had very pale pink spotting sporadically. I am wondering if it’d from intercourse or from the removal of the IUD. I normally have 21 to 24 day cycles. Could it be at all possible it’s implantation… Read more »
Hi ladies, I was surfing the net looking for advise on early pregnancy and found all your replies. I fell pregnant in March 2008 this year. The day my period was due I noticed a small amount of brownish discharge and thought my period must have started. I did a test and it was so faint. I eventually did 4 more and they were all faint but I must have only been 4 weeks pregnant. I finally did a Clearblue pregnancy test which is one of the best tests on the market and it went straight to positive. I was… Read more »
marcilla smith
this is for kyliew, hi iv expeirenced implantation bleeding it is possible that you could be pregnant you just experience the bleeding yesterday maybe it is too soon to tell but if it were a miscarriage you would no because if you have children it fills like labor pains horrable i exeperiance implant on 8-27-08 and just tested positive yesterday its possible id wait 10 days after the bleeding stopped then test my symtoms are back pain ,light somtimes moderate cramps and diarrehea im still suffering from the runs but it normal for most i experienced it with my first… Read more »
Ashleigh
I am also quite young, and involved in a sexually active relationship. I have taken 3 pregnancy tests, and they were all negative. I am currently just over 2 weeks late for my period, and my tummy feels fuller than normal. The other night i went to the bathroom and noticed some mucus like pinkish brown spotting of which i thought was the start of my period, but obviously wasnt. It wasnt even enough to use a pany liner with. Im not sure if the tests are lying to me or not. Could this mean that i am experiencing implantation… Read more »
kyliew

last period was 6th of august i have a 33 day cycle. had pregnancy symptoms, yesterday had quite a large amount of blood but bright pinky pale spotted mostly today and now no blood. doc thinks i may hav miscarried had lots of cramping and never had any cramping with my periods. now that its stoped could it be implantation bleed or am i being jus hopeful?

Carol
I have been having the symptoms of pregnancy, mostly going to the loo every 5 mins and my stomach has got bigger, some of my trousers are feeling tighter and they dig in, my last period was 3 weeks ago but was lighter than usual, im not due my period for another week but last night i had cramps in my stomach and noticed a pinkish blood, today i still have some cramp and the blood is now redder, its not heavy but im really worried, took a test at the drs yesterday and have to wait until monday for… Read more »
Jessica
My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for a few weeks now. We were fortunate enough to get pregnant with our son very quickly and we’re hoping the same will happen for number 2. I experienced some brownish discharge for a couple days. My periods don’t ever start out light so I knew that wasn’t it. I didn’t have to wear a pad or anything. Then it stopped. 2 days ago, I randomly started throwing up every night and now I’m having mild cramping. I’m not due to get my period for about a week or so.… Read more »
courtney

I have had very light spotting the past couple of days and usually my period is really bad. I don’t have to use a pad or anything, it is that light. I think it could be implantation but I am not sure… I kinda hope it is but I am getting married in a month and a half and I don’t want to be going through morning sickness at my wedding. 😛

Ros

My last period was the 16th of august and me and my bf had unprotected sex the 21 and the 26 my period is always on time and yesterday i started spotting but it was only when i wiped then it stopped but i woke up this morning and i was bleeding but the blood was bright red (it was light) and cramping so idk wats goin on im not supposed to get my period for another 2weeks help wat shud i do

Annoyed

Monkeymami –

She came here for advice – how dare you manipulate her and this forum with your beliefs. Not everyone thinks it’s a sin to have sex outside of marriage, and not everyone thinks it has to be between a man and woman. Save it for some other site, this one is for information.

qldnder

Mika, time to see a doctor and if you are pregnant some support (family if possible or friends). if they are not possible there are some great family support groups. Ask your doctor for advice.

Monkeymami, thanks for your advice. I bet critism and religious propoganda is exactly what mika needed

PanzersWifey

My doc told me that the brown is normal it is more like a discharge. I been having a brown discharge and 1 day I wiped & saw a little bit of pink, I have not seen pink or red since.

Mika, I would defnitely wait until you have missed ur period. or u can always go to ur doc & get tested to see.

Monkeymami

Mika, If you are not ready to be a mom, why are you having sex? Sex is meant for married couples who are ready to try for or accept the risk of having a baby. Sex should not happen outside of a marriage between a man and a woman. No one can say what it is unless you see your doctor.

Mika

I am only 19 and not ready to be a mother. 2 days ago, i had light brown discharges and today, i have dark dark brown discharges. My period is due next week. is this implantation bleeding?

Tracy

I to have been ttc my cycle was due on the 19 of aug but did not start, then on the 24 I had mild cramping with a dark brown bleeding that only lasted off & on for 2 days. I am wondering of this is implantation bleeding?

Veronica

Having to read the article really ease my mind a bit. I am pregnant during my week 10 now and just last night i had a bleeding. It stopped this morning and I hope it was just implantation bleeding.

Bhav

i do sometimes experience spotting before my periods start, but then my preiods do start after a day of spotting. This time i have been experiencing pinkinsh brown spotting for 3days and still didnt get my periods. My pregnancy tests are coming negative, it has been 14 dpo… dont know what is it?????

Gebre
I just read about implantation bleeding about a week or so ago. I honestly don’t believe that Im pregnant but there’s only one way to find out. My period is not due for another week and my period is like clock work! Today, as I used the restroom, I was spotting pinkish-red blood….literal spots. I kept wiping myself until there was no more blood. Usually when my period starts, its light to dark (heavy) all in the same day. I have been stressed due to a separation but the days recently have been much of a breeze compared to the… Read more »
Trish
I am 11 days late for my period and i have taken 3 pregnancy tests and they all come back negative, but last night i went to the bathroom and discovered there was a little bit of blood.. I honestly panic’d. I havent been able to conceive since i lost my first baby over 3 years ago. I was really excited to think that i would have a second chance to be a mom again after all this time of trying… when i woke up this morning I had some mid cramping (which is not like my period i get… Read more »
Myers

6 days ago I thought I started my period, it was much lighter than it’s ever been, and I didn’t even have to use a pad like usual. Then the next day it was gone. That’s never happened before either. Then today I thought I started again, and I have been experiencing light cramps, but now it’s the end of the day and it’s gone again. I haven’t taken a pregnancy test yet..

I never did have implantation bleeding, but I would imagine it might be scary if you already know you’re pregnant and then suddenly you’re bleeding.

1 9 10 11