What is Implantation Bleeding?

Many women hear the term implantation bleeding used a lot in regards to the early stages of pregnancy, but unless they receive clarification on what this phenomenon actually is then it can be a scary experience.

What Exactly Is Implantation Bleeding?

During the early stages of pregnancy the ovum, or fertilized egg, attaches itself to the uterine wall. This always occurs within the First Trimester and can sometimes cause a little amount of blood to be released. This is the cause of implantation bleeding. The egg actually attaches itself to the mother’s circulatory system via the wall of the uterus, and this is where the blood comes from.

What Does Implantation Bleeding Feel Like?

Some women might feel Cramping Along With Implantation. In some instances women have already missed a period and are aware of the pregnancy. Not every woman detects implantation bleeding. Remember that pregnancies can be considered perfectly normal whether there is any bleeding in the early stages or not.

What Does Implantation Bleeding Look Like?

Many women wonder how to tell the difference between implantation bleeding and bleeding that could be a sign of something more serious. If you experience light spotting – such as only enough to wear a panty-liner – then it is most likely implantation bleeding.  Additionally, if the spotting is dark and not bright red, and the spotting ends quickly, this points to implantation bleeding as well. Keep in mind that this can be completely normal in the first trimester but you should always check with your doctor whenever bleeding occurs during a pregnancy.

What Else Could It Be?

There are other explanations if the bleeding is not due to implantation. Bleeding beyond light spotting may be a result of your menstrual cycle, and the lighter flow than normal could be caused by any number of things including stress. Changing your Birth Control can also cause a change in your bleeding flow and spotting can also be a sign of infection or abrasions from recent intercourse. When in doubt, contact your doctor.

Could I Be Pregnant?

If you are Trying To Conceive, this could be good news since Implantation Bleeding is one of the Signs of Early Pregnancy.  If you think you may be pregnant, today’s Home Pregnancy Tests can show positive results as early as a week before your period is due.  If you’re not ready to buy a pregnancy test just yet, enter your last menstrual cycle date into our Due Date Calculator to determine when you ovulated last.  That will give you a little insight too!

Did you experience implantation bleeding? Please share your story with us.

544 Comments on "What is Implantation Bleeding?"

Jessica
okay. so, me and my boyfriend had unprotected sex. he pulled out, but i was still concerned. i was worrying for about a week before my period was supposed to start. like i couldnt eat/sleep. i got it a few days early. the first day i was just bleeding a little bit, not enough for a pad. the next two days were a little lighter than my normal periods but definitely needed pads. then today, i had blood when i wiped but there were little spots in it. the blood is red, not brown. could the stress of worrying be… Read more »
Tiffany
i just had a baby, she is 2 months old. I started birth control at my 6 week appointment. I started having light pink when i whipe today. I have never experienced this. my period always starts dark brown then to red and then to dark brown again. Even my 1st pp period which i got at 6 weeks but the dr told me to start the pills asap. Im still on my active pills for 4 more days so this very well could be my period. I didnt relieze it takes 3 months for birth control to really kick… Read more »
meme

hi everyone a little help…. i started my period sept 1. -sep.6. i had sex with my bf on the 9th.. i began spotting on the 20th. my spotting has lasted more than 2 days its a little darker in color now but not enough to wear a pad. im having headaches, mood swings, nausea, swollen breast no pain, no cramps. could i be pregnant?

Allybell

Hi
I have sort of the same problem im so confused. i had sex with my boyfriend on the 9th and 10th sept which was my fertile days. then i suddenly get a light period 8 days before my period is due 23sept. im tired, nauseas, lower back pain, constipated, go to the bathroom more often and my breasts are above and beyond sore as well as all i want to eat is sweets. my period is never early nor late, it lasts a week and is heavy, im 19 and really need help. could i be pregnant?

Miss.Smiles

0okayy Im kinda concerned & wondering if I need to be going to see a doctor. I had my last cycle on sept.4 and it lasted until sept.10 normal like always…I went to see my fiance’ on sept.15-16, we had unprotected sex and today is sept.21 and I came home from church went to the bathroom to noticed I had a reddish pinkish discharge, what I believed to be blood….what is going onnnnnnnnnnnn??? somebody help please

PursEssence
Okay…. I had sex early Saturday morning… 9/17….. We had sex unprotected and he ejaculated inside me. He did not try to pull out at all. I thought I was suppose to come on my period On the 23/24 but I came on my period the morning of 9/18…. It was horrible. I had extremely painful cramps… I always have cramps but these were worst. My period usually is heavy and lasts 5 days… This period was not as heavy and yesterday which was the 3rd day it was light. Today I have a brownish discharge. Should I be worried?… Read more »
Shay

hey Lix

hey I’m 19 and I experienced the exact same thing, I wish was giving you good news, but in my case I lost the baby. I really hope it’s different in your case if you need someone to talk to let me know!!

Lix
On September 10th i was 2 days late on my period, so i took 4 pregnancy tests and they all came out positive, so i made an appointment to get an ultrasound the following Wednesday which was sep 14, they did a preg test (urine) and it was positive, so they did a trans-vaginal ultrasound and there was nothing there, they told me that it could be too early to see anything. The next day Thursday sep 15 in the morning i had brown spotting and was told it was implantation bleeding, but later in the after noon i got… Read more »
Margaret

I have brownish spooting which lasted for aboyt 6 days.
It actually started a day after my period was supposed to come.
please help

samantha

I had unpretected sex on august 24th and I do believe that person came inside me I was due for my perod on september 3rd didn’t get it thought I would get it a couple das after . .comut I didn’t on Wednesday september 7th their was a little pink and a little bit on Thursday september 8th. Then it stopped could I be pregnant??

Hi,
My fiancee’s period is around 10 days late, she’s getting period pains with no period, and has just gone to the toilet to find a blood clot in her urine. Is this a common sign of pregnancy or something we should see a doctor about?

mel

Hi everyone
I had my period as normal then after 7 days there was this pienkish bleeding but not heavy,for 2hours or so! Im so worried that it could be something serious!!
I did a pregnancy test the day after but was to early obviously…
I did have unprotected sex and my fiancee cumed in me but i dont know when i ovulate coz have 20 to 22 day cycles
Please any advice

Davislady
I am 25 years old. I was on the depo for 4 years and got off October of 2010. I started having period in June. My periodid for June was long, it last about 10 days. In July it got better lasting the normal 5. But in Auguest it was late and I didn’t start until the 27. It is lighter then usual and Im am still on it today. I only wear pantyliners because it’s heavy enough for anything else and I still do not mess up the liners. I’m a little freaked out can anyone tell me what’s… Read more »
shariyfah abdul-qawi

I’m late five days now..I had cramps that felt like my period was bout to come for a week..I then started having bleeding but very light when I went to the bathroom..this all happen before I missed my period..now I’m late I am confused..I have been sleeping in eating a lot..I have mood swing alot…should I wait a few more days to do a pregnancy test, or should I test now?

Samantha

I have had brown spotting for the last 5 days. So many websites say so many different things. All I know is this is my 3rd pregnancy. I have a healthy baby girl who is 4 and a healthy baby boy who is 5 months. This has never happened to me before. Please someone shed some light on this for me

Jennirt

Hello, I am having a crisis. I was suppose to start on my cycle on the 29th of this month. I started on the 25th and had a normal flow till the 27th, then it just stopped. On the 29th I have a creamy pink discharge when I wiped. I am or was on a 33 day cycle. Very sexually active with husband…. Neg. pregnancy test…. anyone Please help!!!!

mandeeeee

Hey I had my period about a week ago and me and my boyfriend had sex yesterday and when I wiped I noticed pink discharge, and then today after we did it again I wiped and bright red was on the toilet paper. Can someone tell me what to do?

cheryl

Today I would have been 3 weeks late from missed period this morning I had a show when I wiped help !

Heather

I had a D&C on Aug 4th after having a miscarriage which would have been my first child. I bled for a week after the d&c and now 2 weeks later I spotted one day for probably less than an hour(which was really light pink). I was wondering if anyone thought it may be implantation bleeding from a possible new pregnancy or maybe my cycle trying to come back? I got to my doctor in about another week to get my hcg level tested again, just wanted to know what anyone else might think.

debbie

hello i have a question i am 45 years old i get my period regularly every 27 to 30 days its been over 45 days since my last period i have very tender brest and i had very very light blod only when i wiped yesterday but it went away it only happen 2 times can i be prego or not help its been awhile since i had a baby my daughter is 18

Svg25
Someone, please answer my question!! Or advice!!!! I was on my period AUG,5–AUG, 12. Which is normal bc my period lasts for about a week. :/ but on AUG 23 around 9pm I started bleeding again. It was like red when I stained myself then as the hours went to light red and now it’s super light pink with a little brown?! I had SEX with my boyfriend on AUG, 14, 15, 17, 18, 20, &22!!? So, basically I had a little 2day period a week after my last real period!! You know? Dk what it could be. Implantation? Please… Read more »
violet

Im a lil scared ryt now, I had little brown discharge
for 2 days last Saturday August 20.. Then stopped.
Then I had a light period-look-a-like started
last Monday august 22, then until now…
I’m experiencing light cramping on & off.
until now I am still bleeding but it was light
then usually it falls flush every night.
Im so confused if this is sign of pregnancy or what.
I have no symptoms aside from this bleeding.
I have no sore breasts, vomitting, morning sickness and all.
im so scared to take PT.

dee dee

Hi,

I went off cerazzette about 3 months ago. I waited for 6 weeks and finally got my normal 4 days period. So after that I have been trying to conceive with my husband. We had sex yesterday and today I was cramping and having what it seems to be like a light period. My last period was 2 and a half week ago so Im kind of 2 weeks early for my period. Anybody can help me with this?

Thanks

sarah

i took plan b after having unprotected sex..i had my period on the 6th til about the 11th..My boyfriend and i then had sex again on the 21st but he didnt cum and now i noticed bright red blood mixed in with my discharge.. is that implantation bleeding or jsut a messsed up cycle from plan b?

britany
Hi. I had my period on june 25, 2 weeks after that i had brown spotting for like 4 days, took a test on the july 13th it was negative, now its july 30, and i still havent started my period, it has never been late before, it is always, on the same day, every month.. does anyone know what this could be, ? or if i should take another test, cause i wasnt sure, if i should take it before or after the missed period, because the spotting made me nervous, so i took one, . .. should i… Read more »
Danyellex

Hi guys.
I’m new to this But I finished my period on the 9th but started on tif 2nd, its now the 29th and I’ve been bleeding slighty today with no cramps me an my bf had sex since the day after I came off my period.
COUld I be pregnant…. help please x x x x

Candance
Hi everyone, I got to know someones thoughts….. I started my period June 30- July 5… Was intimate with the hubby july5, 6,8 then July 11- 13 I ovulated on the 14th…. I had cramps on my left side on July 21-22… Then I start stopping July 24- now the spotting is very light don’t need a tampon, not even for a liner either…. I have backaches an feel very bloated my boobs are getting a little firmer, I am also having moods swings like crazy…. I also eat small meals cuz I feel full instantly…. Any advise ladies. O… Read more »
Rebecca

Worried to be teen mom HELP,

Hun you might want to go take a test by now if you are having those symptoms. Try to get the Easy respose the earlier you know the better. No one here is judging but only to search for information.

Rebecca
Hola Señoritas, Same things has happened to me as everyone else. I had experienced light bleeding and cramping 2 days ago, some cramping ocasionally. I thought it was my period but im not due till next week around my birthday. So im wondering if its impantation bleeding and if I could be pregnant?!?! My BF and i have been trying for 7 months and due to get married on Aug 5 next month. I have had an HSG done back in March and had no luck of pregnancy, im not on BC, and we have unprotected sex. I am really… Read more »
Worried to be a teen mom HELP

^^^ ps we alao had sex on d 15 n 16

Worried to be teen mom HELP
Kay can someone please help me and explain whats going on im only 16 n nerf help please dont judge k.. Im scared and worried right now Me and my em boyfriend(since july 17 ) had sex on july 2nd and at that time i was ending my period .on the 15-17 i felt like throwing up . Even after i eat something small i feel so full. I dont eat very much now because i hate having that feeling. Saturday i was looking at my boobs and notice dat my nipples gotten a little big and it hurts when… Read more »
BrunnetteMommy24
I started what I am thinking was my period on the morning of July 16, and normally it starts off light, and as the day goes on it gets heavier, well from the morning of the 16, to the night of the 19, it was the exact same flow from start to finish, and it was pinkish brown(which is UNUSUAL for me) Then around 4pm on the 20th of July I started to bleed again, same flow as before, but only for a half hour. Then it completely stopped. Then the night of the 20 around 11pm it started back… Read more »

actally my date has to come on jun 17 2011, but it was late and iam noticing a very light vaginal discharge of brown colour from jun 20 it i still continuing i had taken a hpt on jun21 morning it came negative iam very confused and i will have a spotting before my period for 1 day . what it may be? iam i pregnant? how does hpt react during a light period?

althea

Hi, my boyfriend and I had unprotected sex 1 week ago. I just finished my cycle 4days past that and yesterday and today I had morning red spots.. Am i pregnant? I am a little worried..

Miriam

Hi ladies I’m 20 yrs old I think I’m expericing implantation bleeding my last normal period was on the may 25 on June 15 I spotted brown which I thought it was my period the. It stopped I waited a couple of more days then on the 10 of July took a pregnacy test which was negative then spotted again on the 11-12 of July then on the 17 it happen again and then on the 19 it happen again but is very light should I take another pregnacy test or could it be something more serious

beautiful mess
I am 16 and sexualy active I lost a baby in 2009 and well I’ve experienced a very light bleeding pinky redy with discharge it lasted 1 day approx It scared me a little I had cramps also and my stomach around were ur waist belt is just were ur trousers sit well that muscle is getting hard if u push in I haven’t felt sick or anything like that and my boobs feel fine , what could this be ? Is it my body getting ready for a period or what is it ? I am so scared I’m… Read more »
lauren

i have had the implant for nearly 3 months now and i have not stoped bleeding since the day i got it , i went to my doctors and they gave me cerazettebut i am still bleeding i feel very tired and drained all the time and have noticed that i tend to snap at people all the time . has anyone else had this experience or is it just me ???

Kblake
Hi im 16 and i think im pregnant. i most likely am but it is too soon to take a test.. I started spotting VERY lightly yesterday and it hasnt stopped im pretty sure that its implantation bleeding and i read that after two days it might be a bad sign… my BF knows that it is a possibility that i am pregnant and he is excited. But i have been bleeding for almost two days know and i am SCARED OUT OF MY MIND i called an advice nurse and she told me to just watch it but if… Read more »
keebiet

heyy everyone.
my period was on from july 3-8 and i just had sex with my boyfriend 2 days ago (july 14) and he ejaculated inside me. today (july 16) i woke up bleeding a little bit and i havent been bleeding for the rest of the day. now, i just used the bathroom and when i wiped myself, there was a lot of clear discharge. and i have been having light cramps today. what does all this mean?!

jess

Hi guys,
..I am 20 yrs old and I’m really confused :/.. I had unprotected sex on the last day of my period (july 2) , but was barely bleeding (not enough for a panty liner) and my fiance ejaculated 2 times inside.. Just yesterday. July 12 I noticed a light pink discharge when I wiped and havnt noticed it again.. Is it possible that it can implantation bleeding or can I get pregnant from that time :/…

gemsickle
Hi all, hope you can help me! Me and my partner have been ttc for almost 2 years, it’s fair to say we are not at it like rabbits (tmi) but we are taking a “whatever will be, will be” attitude. I have one 5 year old from previous relationship, I am 25 my partner is 29. So…..I’m 13 days late for my period, my cycle varies from 28-33. I’ve had mild backache for 2 weeks, with occasional cramping. No tender boobs ( when I’m due on, they are very painful) but I’ve been emotional and tired. Today, I’ve had… Read more »
Amy
Yesterday was the day I was supposed to start my period,I had very light spotting so I thought I had started my cycle. Then there was not much there so I started doing my research. Is this normal? It says on most websites that implantational bleeding happens a week before your period. Well, that was not the case for me. Today I was one day late so I took a test and found out Im pregnant. I called my girlfriend that found out she was pregnant a couple weeks ago and she said the same thing happened to her.That she… Read more »
jessie

i got my periods by may 17th. till nw i didnt get my periods. i chked pregnancy test last week it showed negative. today i saw little brownish spot wen i wipe it. can you confirm its an implantation bleeding or menstrual bleeding ?

my period was supposed to start on june 10. in june 13 i had some spotting which tirned into light bleeding(not enough to fill a panty liner) by the 15. by the 17 it slowed and stopped. i have been having light cramping, headaches, back aches, and feel bloated. my next period is due july 11. i also took 4 HPT all neg. as of the 18-19.

Leah
My Fieance and I have been trying to get pregnant but were not having that much luck. Today I was cramping a bit at work so I just figured it was my period coming( Its due in 4 days) because I somethimes have light cramping like a week before my period starts. Well to my suprise I went to the bathroom an hour later to discover dark brown stains on my underwear. I had to work so i put a tampon in but this is really weird for me. I have a 32 day cycle, i NEVER cramp on the… Read more »
Jazmine

Hey everyone! I need some advice.. The last time I had intercourse was June 5th. My period was due around June 15th, I am 6 days late & for the past 5 days I have experienced sometimes brownish/pinkish spotting. I haven’t taken a test yet, I’m not sure if it’s too soon.. I just don’t know what’s going on!

PRIVATE

Well i had sex with my bf weve been together for years…. and we had sex 3 days ago. yesterday i had very light pinkish color discharge/bleeding with a little bit of cramps….. we didnt use a condom .this has never happened before. can you possibly help me with finding out the cause of this?

kai

hey everyone. i have had two misscarriges this year. i was ment to come on my period tues its now the following monday, and i have been gettin a little bit bleeding like a light period pinky browny colour wen i wipe. but i have done 3 pregaz tests and they all came back as posotive but they were faided lines. has anybody else experienced this? worried incase its another m/c

muni mohana

iam suffering from bleeding that is 1st to 3days bleeding is not coming very light is coming next 4th day it is starting likely normally upto 5days totally 8 days for this tell me suggestion

Auburn

i had unprotected sex on june 14 2011 and two days later i started to bleed it’s not heavy doesn’t feel like a period. And I had my period not too long ago like a almost two week ago. But i just don’t understand why am i bleeding? I’ve been bleeding for 4 days now. Could I be pregnant?