Mucus Plug

As the third trimester weeks crawl by – and they do crawl by don’t they! – many pregnant women look for any sign that labor is impending.  One of these signs is the loss of the mucus plug.  Yes, losing your mucus plug is a sign that labor is likely coming soon!

What Is A Mucus Plug?

The mucus plug is exactly what it sounds like. It is a concentration of mucus that is deposited in the opening of the cervix to block germs and bacteria from entering the uterus.

During pregnancy, the mucus is clear and would look much like a normal vaginal discharge. However, as the cervix begins to efface and blood is released, there may be some blood deposited onto the mucus plug.  As your cervix dilates you will begin to lose the plug, either in bits of stringy, blood tinted mucus over a period of time, or all at once. This can happen up to two weeks before labor actually begins.

The loss of the mucus plug should not be confused with a woman’s bloody show which occurs during labor as a woman begins bleeding prior to delivery. The bloody show will be obviously different than the mucus plug as it is mostly blood and very little or no mucus.

Should I Call My Doctor?

Generally there is no need to call your doctor or midwife when you lose your mucus plug, assuming it is clear or has a little blood showing. Of course, if you feel any concern or have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact them.  It’s what they are there for! You can also mention it to your provider at your next visit. You should definitely contact your provider if the mucus becomes extremely bloody or you continue to experience discharge. It could be a sign that labor has started, or it could also possibly be a sign of a complication like placenta previa or of a placental abruption.

Looks like you’ll be meeting your baby soon … congratulations!

See what else is going on with your baby and your body in our Pregnancy Week by Week Calendar!

108 Comments on "Mucus Plug"

when i say jellyfish like.. i mean its not falling apart not watery.. but like the body of a jellyfish….

“im currently 30 weeks pregnant and i’m worried i lost my mucus plug already. I found a long thick jellyfish like susbstance while usign the bathroom and it being so early I am concerned.. I do have a dr’s appt but is it somewhat normal in a sense as it does happen… for this to occur early????
im due 10/12/2010″”

im due 10/12/2010

Ashley

I am 38 weeks and 2 days. I have started losing my mucus plug but it does not have blood in it yet. Does that mean anything?

Shannon

I am 37 weeks and 3 days, i think i lost some of my mucous plus about 2 weeks ago it was slimy and clear with a little blood at the end of it.but it wasnt that much.this is my 3rd child,i am almost dilated to a 1.but baby has not dropped yet 🙁 have a doc. apt on tuesday.Hopefully he tells me he’s finally dropped and that ive dilated some more! i cant wait to see my little son!

Diane

I am 29 weeks pregnant and I already lost my mucous plug 2 days ago. I lost it with my first baby and three weeks later he has to be induced because the amniotic fluid was low, so my water didn’t break at once but was leaking for those 3 weeks and I didn’t even notice. You can’t confuse the plug with a discharge because the plug is much much thicker and yellowish, and it doesn’t have to be bloody.

jennifer

i have been taking preg test for 3 weeks now they have come bk negtive i am 3 months late on my period , i am loosing a gooey disscharge with quite alot of blood init am i having a misscarge ?

Heather
I am 31 wks today and this morning when I woke up, I went to the bathroom as my usual morning routine only when I wiped, I found a bit of light, baby green mucous on the toilet paper. I have read a few articles online and they all say that the color is normal and that not everyone’s plug will look the same but I am concerned that this is the beginning of me losing mine at only 31 wks. I called the dr and have an appt tmw morning to see if that’s what it is. If I… Read more »
Kacey

I’m 37 weeks and 2 days prego.. I been growing really impatient with my first little one in my tummy.. I’m really hoping for some signs of me going into labor soon.. but anyways mostly every time when I use the bathroom.. there is a white discharge.. its pretty small, but enough to see it. One time it came out pretty thick.. it was weird.. but I didn’t panic.. so I’m hoping that this is my mucus coming out slowly so I will know that he is almost ready.

Tricia
I am currently 33 weeks and 5 days and medically scheduled for a C-section in four weeks.This morning I woke up to get ready for work. After peeing, I wiped and the tissue had a reddish, pinkish taint on it. So I wiped like three more times and the same thing. Then there was like a slimy mucus looking trail of pink in the toilet bowl. I called my doctor who asked me if I had had sex and I haven’t had any since November last year….after that he told me to go to the hospital so that they could… Read more »
Maria
With my first, I lost my mucus plus Saturday morning, started having tiny contractions all day and by sunday I had my baby. Pretty much everyone I know had their baby with in two days of loosing their mucus plug. I am 37weeks with my second baby and I think I lost a part of my mucus plug today….except this time there was no blood at all, it was just long and really white and slimy. I hope it is my mucus plug, this pregnancy has been a tough one. ill keep checking out for more of this stuff…good thing… Read more »

Hi Chantelle,

You might try looking at this article to give you some ideas about how to deal with the pain and discomfort most woman experience during pregnancy. Maybe a maternity belt could help?

You might also read this article which explains Braxton Hicks and how to distinguish the differences between real contractions.

Chantelle
Hello, I am 26 yrs old, going through my first pregnancy, My EDD is the 13 April 2010 but I have noticed that In the past week or so I have been experiencing vaginal discharge, altho I have had discharge throughout the whole pregnancy , this week has been alot thinker, mor elike snot or semen like, sometimes clear with a little bit of white, sometimes completely clear, This morning I had about a teaspoon of discharge, everyday varies. I am finding that in the past week I have started cleaning alot more, with yesturday being the worst off, I… Read more »
Kristy Trost
hello I’m 39 weeks and 2 days, and this morning I have noticed really thick snotty like discharge this morning around 5 am then like 10-15 mins ago after 12:30 pm with more. The 1st discharge was the most, then this was a lil bit more than half the other one. I’m trying to figure out if I should call the OB triage. Because the last time I called them was because I fell and I felt my water broke and they told me to come in then sent me home, and I don’t want to keep going in and… Read more »
jackie

Im 38 weeks and 5 days. For the past week I have been having slimy discharge. Being a mom already I knew what this meant. It’s just a little warning sign that labor is on it’s way. So think of it as a way to prepare yourself. Because ready or not, here it comes! You’ve just got to wait it out until the water breaks or contractions start.

Ashley
I’m 40 weeks on Friday and I’ve had thick discharge for most of the pregnancy. It’s normal to have a lot more than you usually would if you werent pregnant. I just lost my mucous plug this morning. It kept coming out in strings and looked like when I blow my nose and a little blood comes out with it. The best way I can describe it for people who want to know for sure, mine looked like strings and globs of clear jello. I’m hoping this means I’m dialating a little more and this baby is coming out soon!… Read more »
Jennifer

Hey! I am only 18 weeks and for the past two days I have been have a thick snotty discharge. I don’t think that is normal is it?

Hi I am 19 yrs. old and I am about 29 weeks pregnant with my first child and this morning after I got outta tha shower and dried off, I stepped in something wet and i though it might be my mucus plug, but it was more watery than a mucus substance with some blood! IS THIS MY PLUG OR NO?!

Jennifer

I am 39wk 3days pregnant with my 2nd baby girl. 1st girl i was induced at 41 wks. I went to the doc yesterday and i was 3cm dialated and 0 effaced. since the morning i have been losing thick slimy mucus with dark brown blood in it. Is this my mucus plug or am I spotting since my cervix was examined? Do you think i will go soon or will i make it to Jan 28,2010 when I a scheduled to be induced?

Ame

today is my due date and last night i lost my plug at around 11:30. it came out all at once as a thick clear glob of mucus. i knew i was losing it because i was having a brown tinged mucusy discharge starting about 24 hours prior. I was however ify about it since it did come and go often. After losing my plug i am experiencing some blood discharge in the form of a light pink. kinda like the early sign of beginning my period. hope that helps someone

Shaq

Megan,

you might have lost your mucus plug, or you could just be experiencing heavy discharge which is completely normal. As long as there is no blook that shows up you should be fairly safe. Still bring this up at your next OB app. So she can make sure that everything is ok. GOOD LUCK!!

Megan

Hi I’m also 28 weeks pregnant and I have noticed a thick snotty clear and whitish stuff on the tp for the past few days… I’m worried isn’t it a bit early for me to be losing my mucus plug?

kristine

Hi I’m 28 weeks pregnant ,,I went 2 the bathroom this morning and some clear slimmy stuff came out of me …I hope 2 god this aint the mucus plug …now waiting for the doctor 2 call me back

maria

for past two weeks have had some minor discharge come and goes every other day. I am now 38 weeks and had a discharge around two table spoons. so i anticipate i will go in labor wthin 1-2 days.

Bettina

I am 38 weeks pregnant with my first baby. I am set up for a c-section in 1 week because my baby is breeched.
My belly dropped about 2 weeks ago, and I have been having BH every day. But tonight I have had very strong BH, about 10 in an hour, but they are not regular. Went to bathroom and think I lost my mucus plug, big chunk clear white discharge. Should I worry that labor might have started or do you think I will be fine for another week? Thx

kelly

with my 1st pregnancy, i lost my mucus plug around 5 or 6 pm on a friday, and delivered my daughter at 9 am saturday. i think everyone i different, but from what ive heard, when you lose it, its a telltale sign that labor is close!

desiree

My name is Desiree. I am 36 weeks pregnant with my first and this morning my mucous plug came out. However not only did it not have blood but I havent been having pains at all. what does this mean? Should I be going in labor soon or at any minute? Im trying to look up information but nothing is helping me? Can anyone tell me whats going on!! When should I be going into labor? Thanx =]

Christine

I am 36 1/2 weeks and have been having discharge for approx 1 week now. Last night I was getting Braxton Hicks every 25 mins for about 7 hours, very intense and did not stop even with activity, water or shower. I have been feeling rectal pressure as well for about 1 week. And everytime I eat I get bad indigestion 🙁
I have dropped about 2 weeks ago as well.

I am not sure if these signs mean anything but hopefully will find out at OB appt tomorrow morning.

Sylvia

I am 39 weeks due on Fri 11/20; I just went to the bathroom and noticed a brown mucuous on my underwear, it was about the size of a qtr and very gooey. Sorry if TMI. I am really hoping this is a sign my lil’ one is about to get here.

Thuli

Im 36 wks and last saturday morning in the restroom when i wiped a brownish dicsharge came out my due date is on the 9th of Dec so im wondering if that was my mucus plug coming out and will i make it to my due date? i just cant wait to meet my little princess.

Kristi

I’m 36 wks and this is not my first baby but the worst pregnancy I have had I went to the dr at 35 he checked me and told me I was dilated 1cm but when he checked me I started to bleed and brownish discharge came out later I called the nurse and she told me my plug was being released but hopefully I make it to my due date which is Dec 4

Lacey

i having been losing my mucus plug for about a week and a half. i just cant wait to have my little girl!

my hands are swelling bad enough that htey hurt and can barely lift a gallon of milk in the morning. this is not my first baby but can anyone suggest to me how to get rid of the pain. i’ve tried heat but does’nt work

jessica

I am curently 35wks pregnent with twins.I have been having heavy discharge for a few days now.I used the bathroom tonight and when I wiped it was this thick snot looking stuff that was on my tissue.Is thism y mucas plug?I am due for a c-section next week.So could I go into labor before then?

Kelly

With my second I lost my mucus plug and then not even 5 min later my water broke. I am preg with my third now and am at 36 weeks and have been getting a lot of yellowish white discharge for the last week. I am dialated to 1.5 and 80% effaced, but have been like that for 2 weeks now. So every preg is different and maybe you will and maybe you wont. I didn’t with my first.

Samantha

I’m 38 weeks today and just came back from the doctor and I’m a bit upset because I have not even started dialating, the baby has not dropped and I still have my mucus plug. I feel like he’s going to be late and never come out. I wanted to know if anyone has lost their mucus plug and went into labor within a day or two.

Laura

Well I’m 38 wks and 4 days and haven’t dialated at all I’m worried that I’m going to go past my due date which I’m dreading doc said he’ll have to induce if I go past 2 days. Reason being is that I’m doing a vbac any advise out there is greatly appreciated thanks Laura

i’m 34 weeks pregnant and today when i went to the restroom…i noticed that i had a snotty,creamy white color discharge and i was unsure if it was my mucus plug because i know they say that u don’t always loss it at once but that u can loss it and increments…is this my mucus plug?

Simmy

I am 35 weeks pregnant with my 5th child but my first boy. I have nothing going on at all. I am so tired. I have alot of pressure but my mucus plug has not come out yet. It never does. I just thought since I was having a boy things would be different. I hope I don’t make it to the 19th of Sept. So far Away!

Tiffany

If your that concerned about how much discharge your having or the color or anything…call your dr asap! That’s what there, their for!!! 🙂 Have faith that god is taking care of you and your baby. Just relax call your doctor and pray about the situation. (read the book 6 big big angels-by mary jo pennington)

karen

hi.. im 31 weeks pregnant and just 2 days ago i noticed a small brown discharge on my pantyliner. it has no odor but i’m really scared.i’ve been researching the web that has anything to do w/ brownish discharge. i dont feel any pain or contractions at all.. is this normal? pls help.. i’m so worried that something might happen to my baby…

Brandy

I am 36 wks and think that I am starting to lose my mucus plug. It looks clear and slimey. I have one child who is six, so therefor I do not remember the small things. I have dialated a good two almost three cm. My doctor said he could be here in a week or two!!

I don’t know if its right or not, but I’ve had a yellowish snotty discharge since my 29th wk. Now at 36 wks, I’ve noticed it more and more. So I hear, you can just have a snotty discharge and doesnt mean it is related to your mucus plug at all, just a build up of vaginal fluid. Like everyone else is saying though, there is always a possiblity that it could be your mucus plug…but you can’t always be certain.

Due: August 21st 2009
Its a boy! Trenton O’Neil

Nicole
With my first baby I lost my plug on a friday (it was whitish with a tiny swirl of blood) and then delivered him Sunday at 41 wks. I am 39 weeks along today, and at my appt last week I had NOTHING going on. So irritating. But this week I’ve had an increase in vaginal discharge (clear and egg whitish) and this morning a clump of clear snotty type yuck was on the paper. I know it was my plug. No blood this time, but every time is different. I just hope this means I’m going to go into… Read more »

[…] was thin, it might be getting thicker and may be tinted with blood. This discharge is known as your mucus plug and your body expelling the plug signifies that labor is a few weeks […]

angela

hello. i am 30 wks and this is my 3rd baby. with every baby the discharge gets worse and the pain gets even worse. everyone of my pregnancies have been different in ways though. the dicharge is normal, some people or worse than others. don’t worry about those things, as long as your dr says you’re good, then you are fine. it’s all worth it in the end. you will experience the most beautiful thing in the world.

bernadette

hi im going to be 23 weeks tommorrow and throught my whole pregnbacy and even before i think i had somekind of discharge is this normal? im with my first child and dont know alot of things

hirisk

Hi all, I’m 34 years old and I am 29 weeks pregnant. My boyfriend noticed the thick slimy discharge. Can this be my mucus plug? Can this be a problem, my first child was born at 28 weeks due to hypertension. I am high risk with blood pressure and gestational diabetes can this be a sign that my baby is coming early again.

i am 26 weeks with my second child. my first i was a week over due and had no discharge but with this one i have had alot of discharge and here in there will have that snot looking discharge. is that normal for being only 26 weeks.

Lisseth

Hi i am 37 weeks and 4 days
I yesterday i went to the er b/c i had alot of contractions like 15 mins aprt and thn 5 and on……The doc told me i am 1cm dialated…..After 8 hrs I threw like Brownish discharge …..what does this mean?? Am i dialating more or what? I just know that i ont make it till may 3 b/c my ob said b/c i am 4’11 and i am jjust belly …will see ..i just want him out

sarah

hi, i have had some mucus stuff come out of me and i’m only 33weeks is that even safe? i’m scared but it is clear and i heard it can be weeks till you have your baby even if that happens. i’m just worried for the baby!