Mucus Plug

As the third trimester weeks crawl by – and they do crawl by don’t they! – many pregnant women look for any sign that labor is impending.  One of these signs is the loss of the mucus plug.  Yes, losing your mucus plug is a sign that labor is likely coming soon!

What Is A Mucus Plug?

The mucus plug is exactly what it sounds like. It is a concentration of mucus that is deposited in the opening of the cervix to block germs and bacteria from entering the uterus.

During pregnancy, the mucus is clear and would look much like a normal vaginal discharge. However, as the cervix begins to efface and blood is released, there may be some blood deposited onto the mucus plug.  As your cervix dilates you will begin to lose the plug, either in bits of stringy, blood tinted mucus over a period of time, or all at once. This can happen up to two weeks before labor actually begins.

The loss of the mucus plug should not be confused with a woman’s bloody show which occurs during labor as a woman begins bleeding prior to delivery. The bloody show will be obviously different than the mucus plug as it is mostly blood and very little or no mucus.

Should I Call My Doctor?

Generally there is no need to call your doctor or midwife when you lose your mucus plug, assuming it is clear or has a little blood showing. Of course, if you feel any concern or have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact them.  It’s what they are there for! You can also mention it to your provider at your next visit. You should definitely contact your provider if the mucus becomes extremely bloody or you continue to experience discharge. It could be a sign that labor has started, or it could also possibly be a sign of a complication like placenta previa or of a placental abruption.

Looks like you’ll be meeting your baby soon … congratulations!

See what else is going on with your baby and your body in our Pregnancy Week by Week Calendar!

108 Comments on "Mucus Plug"

Nicola

Hi all, in the same boat although I am 36 weeks with my first baby, started losing my mucus plug today (no blood) just really thick and slimey. I keep refering to the baby books and internet for advice, they say you usually lose your mucus plug aprox 2 weeks before birth good luck all

Emma

i’m 38 weeks with my 1st baby and i have always had a little bit of discharge throughout my whole preganacy and sometimes it is rather thick.. Is this normal ?? and how would i know the difference between that and my mucuos plug ?because i know not everyone gets blood in theirs

ronnie

I went to the bathroom today and when I wiped myself there was like snot on the tissue..im 37 weeks and I have dialated any but I have been having contractions…hopefully the next time I go to my doctor he tells me im dialated..even just a little..one night my contractions was so bad they sent me to the hospital only for me to be sent back home…I think my baby is gonna come a little early

Krystle
I lost my mucus plus this afternoon at work. Yuck. On top of that I told my co worker and she told everyone that I my water had broke. They called a code K and everything, which was wierd because code K means cardiac arrest at the hospital that I work at. Well if that was not embarrassing enough I also have severe swelling in my feet, ankles, and thighs. My foot looks like a latex glove that has been blown up. I went to the emergency room for the swelling today and they thought it was preclamsia but it… Read more »
mariea

I’ve been having the discharge,but I don’t think I lost my mucus plug yet at least I don’t think so. I’m already 37 weeks. I should be losing it soon right this isn’t my first baby but i with my other pregnancies I lost it at like 37 weeks, but when I walk like a half of mile opr even down the street I feel a lot of pressure is that a sign labor is coming?

Kimber

I am at 36 weeks and have been having contractions (braxton hicks) left and right. My dr said yesterday I had dialated 1 cm and she could stretch to almost 2cm. My cervex is 65
% thinned out and the baby is at +2 station. I lost my mucus plug this morning. 🙂 Am I going to go till my due date (3/15) or could this baby come a bit early? This is not my first baby, but the first time everything has happened this early. Thank you. 🙂

Suz

Jenny,

I’m not a doctor, but it does sound like that is your mucus plug coming out slowly rather than all at once. Personally, I lost mine this morning – completely clear and in one big glob. I did notice a few days earlier some thicker discharge (yes, it is snot like :)). So there may be more to come! Good luck 🙂

Jenny

I think I have lost my mucus plug but I’m not sure for 2 day’s now I have had a clear slimey snot like coming out on my tolitepaper when I wipe it started yeasterday morning then all day it went then at about 9-10am this morning it stoped there was no blood in it at all is this my mucus plug???