Cramping in Early Pregnancy

Cramping in Early Pregnancy

Many women get concerned by cramping that they experience in early pregnancy. Some might worry that this is a sign that their pregnancy is not viable and that a miscarriage is on its way. Fortunately, more times than not, that isn’t the case.

Cramping in Early Pregnancy is Common.  And usually normal.

Implantation Cramping

In the first few weeks of pregnancy, implantation cramping, oftentimes accompanied by implantation bleeding, occurs when the fertilized egg attaches itself to the uterus.  Some women might feel implantation cramping as soon as seven days after they ovulate, while others might not feel cramping at all.

Cramping may continue throughout pregnancy as the uterus prepares to carry a baby for nine months.  Your uterus is a big organ and as it grows in early pregnancy cramping is not uncommon. If the cramping is constant or too intense for you to handle however it may not be “normal” and you should call your doctor for reassurance.

Round Ligament Pain

Cramping after the initial stages of pregnancy is called round ligament pain.  These cramps may be dull and achy, or a sharp pain that you notice when changing position. This cramping occurs because the muscles under your uterus expand and grow in order to support the weight of your uterus and baby as it grows. This is probably the most complained about cramping in pregnancy, and one most pregnant women will experience.

Should I Be Worried?

Cramping in early pregnancy is usually nothing for a woman to get worried about. Actually you may be comforted by knowing that if minor pregnancy cramping does occur, then your body is probably preparing as it should to sustain the pregnancy.  But as always, if you are concerned or ever feel that the cramping is not normal, be sure to call your doctor for advice.

Could I Be Pregnant?

If you are Trying To Conceive, this could be good news!  Compare your symptoms to other Early Signs of Pregnancy. If you think you may be pregnant, today’s Home Pregnancy Tests can show positive results as early as a week before your period is due.  If you’re not ready to buy a pregnancy test just yet, enter your last menstrual cycle date into our Due Date Calculator to determine when you ovulated last.  That will give you a little insight too!

Did you experience pregnancy cramping? Please share your story with us.

720 Comments on "Cramping in Early Pregnancy"

Stacey

I am almost 5 weeks pregnant and I, too have had moderate to severe cramps. They seem to get worse at night. I have called my doctor and she said that it is more than likely normal. My HCG levels are doubling like they should, so I am trying not to worry. I am drinking a large glass of water right now!

Sarah

I am 5 weeks 4 days pregnant and I’m having cramping on my right side. It is worse when I stand up and move around. I’m nervous because this is our 3rd pregnancy after two miscarriages. I’m wondering why it would only be on the right side?

Nicole
I am 7 weeks pregnant and had severe cramping and bleeding. The cramping was triggered by my fibroids so if you have fibroids and are pregnant cramping is likley to happen. It will be intense then start to die down. In the beginning when I was 4 weeks I thougt I was having a miscarraige the pain was unbearable since then it has died down significantly. I was advised to take tylenol from my doctor and it helped me alot. I still have the bleeding I was told it was implantation bleeding but I didn’t think it would last this… Read more »
Sarah

Im going into my fifth week and i too have had some cramping. just little blips throughout the day… but nothing major. this morning however, i woke up and they are constant just in one place. they arent so much pain fuol as they are annoying because like i said its right under my belly button a little to the right just comes and goes every few seconds. i hope it isnt to much to worry about, this is my first and my hubby and i have been trying for almost a year.

Lori

I have had 2 kids and with both I experienced very severe cramping (worse than period cramps) right up until the second trimester started. Both of my kids were born full term with no problems, so this kind of cramping must be harmless.

Jacquelyn

I just found out today that I am 3 weeks pregnant, and I have been experiencing HORRIBLE cramping, during the day alot, but especially at night when i lay down, in fact I stayed up crying last night cause the pain hurt so bad. I went to the doctor today and they said things are still too early to tell, but there was no signs of anything bad. This is my second child and I have never experienced this kind of cramping, not even during mentstrual cycles.

Mrs.Campbell

This is my first pregnancy and i have been cramping not often but i do, and i work and i have to stand on my feet most of the time,and when i start to cramp i sit down as soon as possible and then it stops is this normal and should i be concerned about it?

Anna
I’m 5 weeks and 2 days pregnant. I’ve had cramping for 5 days, with a little spotting. The spotting has gotten better in the past 2 days. My midwife’s nurse said the spotting could be from implantation. I have a 9 month old daughter and didn’t experience the cramping with her in my first pregnancy. I did have some spotting in my fourth week and ninth week with her. My current cramping is very consistant. I still feel “pregnant”, very hungry and slightly nauseous. I’m wondering if my cramping could be my uterus expanding, like the article states. The water… Read more »
Ken

My fiancee is just shy of 8 weeks and is having severe crampings and swelling already, and water doesn’t seem to help the situation. If she can’t get to her OB, has anyone else experienced this and can they make any recommendations?

Hello I just found out I’m pregnant this past weekend, I’m probably 4 weeks and these last two days I’ve also had cramps. They’re very light cramps and they also come and go. I’ve also experienced minor lower back aches, but luckily the pain is not strong. I still go about my day. I will also drink a bit more water, maybe it’ll help.

Natalie

I’m 5 weeks in my pregnancy and had to go through IVF. I have been cramping since implantation and my IVF doctor said that cramping is a good sign that thing are going well .He said that it should start to become less and less, and it has over the last two weeks

Roxana

I’m 9 weeks pregnant and i do have cramping…after reading this artical it helped me understand why the cramping started…i had a misscarriage the first time and i dont want another….i’m going to drink more water maybe that will help…thanks!!

Jessica

Im very newly pregnant.. And Iv had cramps for about a week now.. They are non stop but very light.. They arent hurting too bad.. Just kind of annoying.. As one person said that maybe water will help.. So thanks for the suggestion :]

Jessica

I have just found out that im pregnant and no further along than 4 weeks. I have been cramping slightly throughout the day and more intensely in the evening. It’s not unbareable just discomforting. I have two children before this pregnancy and don’t remember the cramping starting so early on, but every pregnancy truly is different.

monica

I actually was told yesterday that my pregnancy test is positive but have been experiencing cramping for about a week already. At first the cramps were light as if my period were going to start but now they are uncomfortable. I am very concerned as we have been trying to conceive for 3 years & just last year had a biochemical pregnancy as well. Progesterone is at 17 as of yesterday & I go back for more blood work tomorrow. Anyone have any words for me?

zanobia

i had cramping too but im scared ill have another misscarriage cuz i was hit in the stomach twice

liz
My husband and I are trying to conceive, I noticed about 2 days after intercourse that I have begun having a dull, constant ache (but just barely noticeable) in my stomach. The only time it eases up is when I rest. Is this a normal sign of conception? It’s still too early to tell, but for the past week now it hasn’t gone away. I’m hopeful, but still uncertain of what to look for. It almost feels like pre-menstrual symptoms, but constant and WAY earlier (about 2 weeks earlier) than when I normally begin to have those symptoms before a… Read more »
Dana

this is my 2nd pregnancie and my cramping is decently bad but wont last for more then a few seconds should i be craping this much???
HELP????

Erika

my cramping is inconsisent,
and doesnt last for long,
but im still not sure if this is normal.
help???

Becky

I experienced cramping early on in both of my pregnancies, and my OB suggested drinking more water, which did help quite a bit.

1 13 14 15