Cramping in Early Pregnancy

Cramping in Early Pregnancy

Many women get concerned by cramping that they experience in early pregnancy. Some might worry that this is a sign that their pregnancy is not viable and that a miscarriage is on its way. Fortunately, more times than not, that isn’t the case.

Cramping in Early Pregnancy is Common.  And usually normal.

Implantation Cramping

In the first few weeks of pregnancy, implantation cramping, oftentimes accompanied by implantation bleeding, occurs when the fertilized egg attaches itself to the uterus.  Some women might feel implantation cramping as soon as seven days after they ovulate, while others might not feel cramping at all.

Cramping may continue throughout pregnancy as the uterus prepares to carry a baby for nine months.  Your uterus is a big organ and as it grows in early pregnancy cramping is not uncommon. If the cramping is constant or too intense for you to handle however it may not be “normal” and you should call your doctor for reassurance.

Round Ligament Pain

Cramping after the initial stages of pregnancy is called round ligament pain.  These cramps may be dull and achy, or a sharp pain that you notice when changing position. This cramping occurs because the muscles under your uterus expand and grow in order to support the weight of your uterus and baby as it grows. This is probably the most complained about cramping in pregnancy, and one most pregnant women will experience.

Should I Be Worried?

Cramping in early pregnancy is usually nothing for a woman to get worried about. Actually you may be comforted by knowing that if minor pregnancy cramping does occur, then your body is probably preparing as it should to sustain the pregnancy.  But as always, if you are concerned or ever feel that the cramping is not normal, be sure to call your doctor for advice.

Could I Be Pregnant?

If you are Trying To Conceive, this could be good news!  Compare your symptoms to other Early Signs of Pregnancy. If you think you may be pregnant, today’s Home Pregnancy Tests can show positive results as early as a week before your period is due.  If you’re not ready to buy a pregnancy test just yet, enter your last menstrual cycle date into our Due Date Calculator to determine when you ovulated last.  That will give you a little insight too!

Did you experience pregnancy cramping? Please share your story with us.

720 Comments on "Cramping in Early Pregnancy"

nat
it’s my 3rd pregnancy. And all 3 of them were different throught the whole 9 months.But 1 thing was common: THE CRAMPING!!! i barely had those with my 1st, mildy with the 2nd, and big time with the 3rd one. I know for a fact my baby was conceived on nov 2nd 2012, 4 to 5 days later, my breasts were being sore, i had a lot fo white milky odorless vaginal discharge and cramping came early. I feel the cramping on each side, under my belly button…it feels like an elastic stretching inside of you (different cramps then menstrual… Read more »
Mariyah

Okay so I found out I am 1-2 weeks pregnant and I am cramping on my sides and my belly button and down. Is that normal?

Latoya

2day i found out I was pregnant at my obgyn and I been Having cramps on and off sumtimes mild and sumtimes big cramps but my doctor said it was normal unless its bleeding or constant cramping involve so as long as its not bad then you will be fine you should not worry but try not to stress for your baby

Kylie
Kate the 122 must be your hcg (hormone) level & for this doctor’s have a chart which is used as a guideline for how far along you would be…the further along in your pregnancy you get the higher the level of hcg. When I miscarried with my first baby at 10 weeks my levels were a lot lower then what they should have been & as I lost the baby they took a complete dive 🙁 I now have a beautiful healthy 15 month old little girl & we only ttc at the start of this month for another one.… Read more »
Phumi

Hi, i missed my period, it was due on 03 july and my last sexual encounter was on 26 june. when i took the pregnancy test it came out negative. On monday i started to discharge a white sticky substance with no ordor or was it itchy. One other thing my breasts r tender, but i’m cramping like my period is due. I’ve had a miscarriage before and two ceasarian births. Could any of this be contributing to the cramps.

i am now 7-8 weeks pregnant is cramping is normal?but sometimes i cannot walk bec. of my lower abdominal cramps please help me 🙁

Chloe

Hey me and my bf have had unprotected sex and he you know came inside me about 3 or 4 times. I’ve took 2 test an they both said negative but I been sleepy lately and I’m having weird cravings. This is my 3rd time being pregnant if I am and now I’m cramping like I’m about to come on my period as we speak. I don’t know what else to do. There’s no bleeding either just cramps like its my first day of my cycle. Should I get a different brand of the test or what?

tasha

Hi me and my boyfriend is ttc, and my LMP was april 30th. We had intercourse on May 7th & 14th. On the 14th I had a milky white discharge no odor, itching, or burning. Now I’m having cramping everyday off and on, I’m wondering could I be pregnant.

kelley

Not too early at all. I’m not due until the 11th, took two tests yesterday and they were both positive. Of course, if its negative, wait a few days. This is #3 for me and I’ve always trusted to EPT, 6 days sooner. Good luck!

Ashley

My husband and I are trying to get pregnant. I’ve been feeling sleepy as having cramping like my period is going to start.my period is supposed to come today and so far nothing.we last has intercourse about 3weeks ago!! Is it too early to test?

Kendra

I’m exactly 6weeks today and have been experiencing so slight cramping. I’ve miscarried before and I am terrified of repeating history. No matter how much I read up on the subject, and keep getting told it’s normal, I’m not very reassured. I’m hoping my doctor has good news

Vanu

Hi
I havé abdominal pain in m’y right side. Nô bleeding , no headache or nô other symptoms. I am 5 weeks and 4 days.,i am worrying that ectopical prégnant? If you havé similar sitution please help me? Is it normal abdominal pain right side?

Heather

If it helps anyone out i found out i was pregnant at 8 weeks. the way i found out was because i was crampng so bad it made me sick. When i went to the doctor they told me i was 8 weeks along and the baby already had a strong heartbeat. I am now 10 weeks and go back to the doctor April 30th. The cramping still worries me sometimes but if you just relax and take a few deep breaths, you’ll be fine:) Hope this helps someone!

Cherise

I’m approximately 5 weeks and I’ve been cramping like I’m gonna be getting my period soon. If I relax I’m ok but as soon as I’m on the go it starts seems like. Seen my doctor and she’s got me doing some blood work. In a way im kinda worried cuz I dont remember this with my 1st two. So I dunno. But after reading all this I’m confused.

nicki

This sight helpsme out a lot through my early pregnancy.

porsha

I lost my baby… worst day of my life. I’m so sorry for any ones loss. For me cramping was not good even without bleeding because i believe i would have been 8 weeks and 4 days today but my baby died at 5 weeks 4 days when i was cramping. Everyone is different… i thought it was normal but for this baby it wasn’t and i really wish i could get my baby back….

porsha
Rushed to the er Monday morning with a clot and some cramping and i was sure i had miscarried…so far they told me i haven’t…right now the blood is like a period. They measured me at 5 weeks and 4 days so now i should be 5 weeks and 6. My hcg was 1172…that’s very good and the baby and sack were seen in the ultra sound also good. I’m too early in pregnancy to check for viability. They sent me to work yesterday with a threatened miscarriage and the cramping and bleeding got much worse. I stand for long… Read more »

to porsha I wouldn’t worry, I had the brown bleeding on and off forthe firt 6 mnths of my first pregnancy, third I had it for the first mnth but all was well I was told its just old blood passing no harm to baby

porsha

So now I’m really scared. I have not been cramping for a while thank God but today i started to bleed brown blood lightly. My boons aren’t as sore as they have been but they do that time to time. I’m still peering tons and still get a positive. Test. I called the on call doctor who said unless it gets worse and accompanied by cramps not to worry and continue to wait for my appointment Tuesday. I honestly just feel like its bad news but I’m praying and praying.

kate

hi i discovered im pregnant last wk havent a clue how far along i am but friday dr did blood test and my homone level was at 122 he sed its early less then 4 wks but sat i started cramping and its still there today and saturday i started bleeding its not heavy its light blood size of 2 50c pices. my boobs arnt sore no more. but i keep getting told its normal in early just conceive stage to be getting cramps/bleeding… but dr is putting it dwn to misscarriaging.. what does 122 mean..

michelle g

hi…i just found on on tues am preg am roughly 4 5 weeks…but yesterday i had cramps and 2day frum i have woke i have cramps reali feels like my period is coming…altho this will be my second baby i stil cnt help bt worry..in my 1st pregnancy i also experienced serious cramps and had to be sent for 2 early scans as the doc thought i was miscarraigin but thank god i didnt but rite now im hopin its just the same as the last time but i dnt no wether to ring the doc or not.

me too i am 7 weeks and been aving mild on and off cramps and constant headaches

porsha
I may be anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks, found out last thursday. I usually cramp about 3 days before my period. I have been cramping for about 2 or 3 weeks now. Just last night it felt as if my period would come on. So scared and my first appointment isnt until feb 14.i love this baby so much I couldnt bear to lose it. :-[ the cramping lasted for about 5 minutes and happened twice in a two hour window. I was sure I was going to see blood. A warm bath knocks it out everytime and I… Read more »
Hayley
I will be 7 weeks pregnant on tuesday & I conceived on Christmas day 🙂 & have been experiencing cramping alot this week as well as the nausea! However for me it’s not just morning sickness it’s all day! I haven’t let myself throw up but between the period like cramps (which my cramps have always been severe) & the nausea I think this will be my one & only child. This is my first pregnancy so I don’t have anything to base these feelings on! I’m so worried because I have BV right now & can’t take medicine to… Read more »
amberlynn

i am 5 weeks and had a miscarraige 5 years ago i have small lil discomfort around my lower utereus but no bleeding and definately not bad but the concern and worry of having another one is there and i cannot get over it any one with sound advice????? i could use it

Amanda

I am 7 weeks pregnant and I have been experiencing constant cramping, aching, and even a pain in my butt for 2 weeks. Ive had no bleeding but I’m worried bc its painful. Everything I’ve read said it can be normal but I never experienced this with my first child.

Michelle
Hi Shannon, it sounds like we’re going through the same thing, only I ovulated on Christmas day, rather than eve! I’ve been on a 23 day cycle for the past 2 periods, and I’m currently 2 days late. From the day I ovulated, I had this funny feeling this was The month (we’ve been trying 11 months now), however I don’t want to get my hopes up yet. I was positive last night that my period was coming, because I had bad leg cramps which seemed to radiate down fr my lower back. No period though, and still the same… Read more »
shannon
Hello to everyone & Happy New Year! I am posting for the first time on this as I am unsure of if I am imagining things or am I really having early signs of pregnancy. My boyfriend and I had intercourse on x-mas eve. Now I was feeling fine till Wednesday of last week when I started to feel mild cramping. Thursday it was more consistent and stronger while I was at work. Friday comes and I get out of work and my boobs are KILLING ME! Yesterday (saturday) I had mild cramping on and off and my boobs were… Read more »
steph

I went all of last year and had six miscarriages. Each time at the implantation stage around week five-six. Always accompanied by bleeding. So if you make it past week 7 your odds increase, and go to nearly 90% if you see/hear heart beat

Hi everyone, please i need a quick answer. I missed my period n did a home test which turn out negative, i went to c my doc, who did my ultrasound n found out that i am preganant. But the next day i to bleed n hav cramps, i went to c another doc, that my doc sent me to c. He examined me n prescribed some drugs like: salbutamol, vit-B-complex, FeFa, n calcium. Please i am scare, i’m I loosing my baby or what?

jessica
Hii every1(: im jessica & i hav been tryiing 2 get pregnant 4 about 3yrs now, i also hav irregular periods so i didnt thnk i cud get pregnant. Well i missd my period 4 almost 2 months since october. And i bougt a test but was scared 2 take it because i hav taken several & all had come bak negative. Neverthless yestrday december. 1 st i found out that i am expecting!! (: so girls plz dnt give up hope. You will conceive when the time is right. My husband & i are very excited & my family… Read more »
sara_k87

Hi Brandy, i am having the same thing but for me it started this week, my last cycle was on 5th october – then nothing – and on sunday i had some brown spotting – then nothing. i also have mild cramping- so i did a urine test and it came up negative but am having a blood test done today for more accuracy. i sure do hope so.

Hi ladies my name is Brandy my boyfriend and i have been trying to get pregnant for a year now but have had no luck… My last actual period i had was in Sept. When October came all that happened was me spotting for one day and then it ended… Now its Nov and i am having slight cramping but still no period, i am even having breast tenderness they are very sensative…I have been eating like crazy and going to the bathroom quiet often… Could i be pregnant? I have not taken a test because i am affraid its… Read more »

Hi ladies my name is Brandy my boyfriend and i have been trying to get pregnant for a year now but have had no luck… My last actual period i had was in Sept. When October came all that happened was me spotting for one day and then it ended… Now its Nov and i am having slight cramping but still no period… Could i be pregnant? I have not taken a test because i am affraid its going to say negative…

I want to say thanks because now I feel better… I am five week was cramping really bad a four so I thought my period was starting. Then after few days I did test and know that I was pregnant. I have been bloated and crampy but now I am feeling normal.

Vicki

Hello all,

I dont know where to begin…I am nervous. I dont think I can get pregnant, there have been times when I ACTUALLY thought I might be but false alarm. But this time, Im a little worried and/or nervous that it might be actually happening. My period is abnormal. It comes whenever. The last 6 months except the last two (Aug and Sept 2011) I havent had a period. I am noticing subtle/faint/vague cramping, not like my period cramps. And I notice that I am tired alot more. What do you all think??

Hi girls . Congrats to all 🙂 we were trying since august to conceive , but got my period on the 25 of august for only3 days. I know it was early done 3 tests all came bk neg. I have being getting alot of cramps and back pain and today my breast are very sore. Id love to do another test. Fingers crossed 🙂

Melissa
Hello everyone have a few questions, Imy last period was on the 5th of aug and my fienc’e and i are trying to get pregnant we already have a 2yr old and i ovulated the 19th of sug we had sex every other day befor i ovulated and everyday after, It’s the 26th of aug and I’m starting to have light and mild cramps and have been getting up at night to pee, What are the chances that i could possibly be pragnant? I’m sup to start on the 2nd and have been off BC for a month now. Any… Read more »
Roish
Hi everyone I am about 4 weeks pregnant, tested positive Tuesday last (9th Aug), home test. I have been cramping really bad for over a week now with bad lower back pain, it’s been worse than normal period pain and I have been spotting for over a week too, it started last Friday morning. I thought it was implantation bleeding to begin with because it’s brown blood, but I never expected it to last this long. And it has been heavy enough to wear sanitary towel one of the days. Can anyone please advise me if this is normal, keep… Read more »
Sara

Hi girls,
I slept with my boyfriend roughly a week ago without using protection and, just starting yesterday, have been experiencing pain very similar to period cramps, however i’m not due on for another week and a half. Could I possibly be pregnant, or is a week to early to tell? Any help would be really appreciated 🙂

[…] ladies I stopped by to tell you about my first pregnancy problems. I cramped and bled for 18 Days straight when I became pregnant (literally the first 18 Days of pregnancy), […]

Diane
hello, my boyfriend was on his leave here between the 7th and the 22nd, and we had sexual intercourse a lot during that time. i had my period for 3 days on the 11th. since he left ive had problems for the past month of not wanting to eat certain things because they taste nasty to me, even though i loved them before, so i just passed if off as my depression taking hold of me again.but now ive been bloating a lot when i usually don’t. but I’ve taken 3 pregnancy tests, one on the 2nd week of him… Read more »
bri

Okay to HAILEY!
You can’t feel symptoms 2days after sex, what your feeling has to do with having sex for the first time.

iam 4weeks pregnancy just iget 3positive tests iam feeling cramping,back pain,joints pain and neuseas And ihave already experienced having like this its normal in early pregnancy so ladies be happy no matter at all thanks.

heather
Haley – If you are concerned or worrying to much about being pregnant it could bring symptoms that appear like you are pregnant. However, i would use protection from now on. I would however keep watch for that time of month and try to stop worrying. Meghan- if you are brest feeding it could make it so that you do not ovulate so i would not worry to much about it. However again there is always a possibility. All the ladies worrying about cramping in the beginning it is completly normal. It when the implanting is happening. Worrying while pregnant… Read more »
Meg

Hello I am Meghan. I just recently had my first baby. Me &&my boyfriend had sex four weeks after I had her. I have not started my period yet. Almost 2weeks late. Yet, I am experiancing cramping &&heavy discharge. I didn’t cramp during my first preganancy &&had heavy discharge, but I am never late. Could I be pregnant?

Haley
Ok, so i am a 15 year old girl who had sex for the first time 2 days ago. I have been sick all day today and yesterday. I have a sick feeling in my stomach like I’ve never felt before. I feel very nausea, I am really tired for no reason, I crave things that I have never eatin before, and my whole body aches especially my butt and back (mainly lower but all of my back hurts). I’ve been freaking out and trying to find ways to calculate if I can take any tests sooner than 2 weeks.… Read more »
MarieP

I am 5 weeks along and a few months ago I had a miscarriage. I had some slight cramps that time too but nothing really to indicate anything was wrong. I am really scared. I am having the same dull cramping. It’s pretty constant the past few days. I am waiting until next week to even call my Dr. I am trying water but it doesn’t seem to help. Does it matter that the pain in pretty constant? It’s not bad pain though

Christine
Okay ladies I stopped by to tell you about my first pregnancy problems. I cramped and bled for 18 days straight when I became pregnant (literally the first 18 days of pregnancy), had 4 tests done at a hospital and each came back negative, two weeks after the 4th test it popped positive. At four months, I started spotting and cramping again and it terrified me so I went to the er, they all thought I was having a miscarriage and no one said a word during the whole time, they put me in the OR and used the “evil”… Read more »
Eileen

I had sever cramps from in and around the date of my period, mainly on my right side with spotting which in turn got heavier and heavier and eventually around week 7 I had to be hospitalised when it was running like a tap. It turned out to be an ectopic in my right fallopian. I dont want to scare anyone but it is good to know if you have very bad cramps on one side to get a scan straight away cus it can be life threatening.