Cramping in Early Pregnancy

Cramping in Early Pregnancy

Many women get concerned by cramping that they experience in early pregnancy. Some might worry that this is a sign that their pregnancy is not viable and that a miscarriage is on its way. Fortunately, more times than not, that isn’t the case.

Cramping in Early Pregnancy is Common.  And usually normal.

Implantation Cramping

In the first few weeks of pregnancy, implantation cramping, oftentimes accompanied by implantation bleeding, occurs when the fertilized egg attaches itself to the uterus.  Some women might feel implantation cramping as soon as seven days after they ovulate, while others might not feel cramping at all.

Cramping may continue throughout pregnancy as the uterus prepares to carry a baby for nine months.  Your uterus is a big organ and as it grows in early pregnancy cramping is not uncommon. If the cramping is constant or too intense for you to handle however it may not be “normal” and you should call your doctor for reassurance.

Round Ligament Pain

Cramping after the initial stages of pregnancy is called round ligament pain.  These cramps may be dull and achy, or a sharp pain that you notice when changing position. This cramping occurs because the muscles under your uterus expand and grow in order to support the weight of your uterus and baby as it grows. This is probably the most complained about cramping in pregnancy, and one most pregnant women will experience.

Should I Be Worried?

Cramping in early pregnancy is usually nothing for a woman to get worried about. Actually you may be comforted by knowing that if minor pregnancy cramping does occur, then your body is probably preparing as it should to sustain the pregnancy.  But as always, if you are concerned or ever feel that the cramping is not normal, be sure to call your doctor for advice.

Could I Be Pregnant?

If you are Trying To Conceive, this could be good news!  Compare your symptoms to other Early Signs of Pregnancy. If you think you may be pregnant, today’s Home Pregnancy Tests can show positive results as early as a week before your period is due.  If you’re not ready to buy a pregnancy test just yet, enter your last menstrual cycle date into our Due Date Calculator to determine when you ovulated last.  That will give you a little insight too!

Did you experience pregnancy cramping? Please share your story with us.

720 Comments on "Cramping in Early Pregnancy"

monai

hi i am just today starting to have cramps but thy are n my left side is tht normal? i havent heard anyone say the pain is n there left side in the pelvic area!…….im not sure if i am pregnant but my breast have been verry sore swollen, tender, and i believe i have had implantation bleeding bcuz i spotted one time wen i went to the restroom and it went away …i dnt no when my perod is suposed to be due bcuz i just got off the depo on the 22nd of last month

maaz
LeAnne~ I had tested myself about 5 days before my missed period and the line was so faint I had to hold it at an angle under the light to barely see it. If it’s there then it doesn’t matter how faint it is. It’s highly unlikely to get a false positive. The nurse on the other hand, since she is not in your shoes, she is just telling you what the test result said. My doctor told me she wouldn’t do the blood test until I was 8 weeks pregnant because HCG levels are too low before that. I… Read more »
LeAnne
Hi! My last period started on June 24th, had intercourse with Husband on July 4th, and believe I conceived on the 6th. I have a history of one miscarriage and one ectopic, in 7 yrs of trying. I had Pcos, but had weight loss surgery a yr and a half ago…fertility Dr told me last yr everything looks great. I am an Energy Healer, and my husband woke up the 7th saying he knew I was pregnant. Our 4 yr old daughter (adopted) has been saying all month she is getting a brother…so, not expecting to be pregnant after all… Read more »
Lauren riddle

Water ladies..water..drink a ton and the camping will subside..totally normal!

Christen

I just found out I’m expecting two positive tests this past Friday. If calculations are right I am about six weeks. I have a cramping in my lower stomach/pelvic area. It almost feels like period cramps. Is this normal? Should I be Concerned yet?

Miss T
We hav been trying 4 7months 2 conceive and nothing. I last got my period on june 8. Around my expected ovulation time I noticed a slight pain in my abdomen. After that like about 1 and a half weeks b4 my next period was due I experienced breast tenderness(normally get this at the time of my period) and like a persistent nagging cramp on my left side below my hip(like my normal period pain). I had the feeling that my period was about 2 come. My period was due on july 8 but didn’t come. Tested that same day..n… Read more »
Jessica

I have just found out about a week ago i was pregnant, and because of my doctors schedule i have yet to see him, and wont till two days from now, but i am having some cramping, sometimes its on one side and sometimes its the whole uterus it feels like. is this normal?? this is my first pregnancy and i am paraniod. i constantly worry that i am going to lose this baby and i just want things to go good for once lol. please help if you can.

mercy

i am suppose to see my period on 25th of june, but its late for almost a week now, i took clomid last month. and having cramping on bothside extending to my legs,can some one help

Serena

I found out i was pregnant last thursday i am about 6 – 7 weeks it was a huge shock as i have been getting period pain like cramp or a wee bit worse i am still getting cramp but not as often i havent been to doctor or midwife yet is it normal or should i be worried?

shely

I am 7 week pregnant. Yesterday i had spotting with dark red colour. I am very much worried about this . What it should be ..Is it normal to have such spotting or some thing serious. Though , I did not have such spotting till the time i am writting to you . Please help

hi, uhm i’m a teenager, and on the birth control patch, so my periods are almost perfect on when they start and stuff. i was suppost to start yesterday, but there’s been no sign of any blood at all. i have had a little cramping earlier. i’ve also been feeling sick to my stomach alot lately and my breast have gotten really tender and stayed sore the past week or two.. could i be pregnant? …please help.

sasha
me & my bf have been having unprotected sex all month long & the last week of last month , trying to concieve . i had a slight period this month .. it was just 2 days & its never just 2 days ! i think im pregnant but i dont want to take a test cause i think its too early ?! … im having awful cramping , its been constant all month long . i couldnt sleep one night bc my pains . but thats almost the only pregnancy symptoms im having is pains … my breats arent… Read more »
Haley

i’m 19 weeks along and been having more cramping. i don’t know if its cause i’m all baby, (just my belly and no where else) or my baby is pushing maybe kicking to where i’m having a lot of cramping. it might not be that cuz i can’t feel my baby kicking yet. every time it gets worse and makes me feel sick in my stomach. but don’t throw up, i haven’t this whole time. i don’t know just was wondering why i’m having “a lot” of cramping.

monique

Hey everyone i just found out i was pregnant june 20, but i have been having cramps from the day i had sex with my fiance and im guessing im almost 3 weeks pregnant as i haven’t gone to the doctors yet. The cramps are bearable during the days but in the nights i cant sleep cause im in so much pain. I just hope that everything goes smoothly. Tomorrow i’ll be visiting my gyno so an update is in order ladies

maa
Jodi~ I am also pregnant with my third child. I also had worse than period cramps for the first 2 months. I didn’t experience any pain with my other two pregnancies. I had such bad cramps that when I would be sitting in class, I thought I was going to fall off my chair with pain. Don’t worry by the time you have your third baby, your body responses to pregnancy differently. Your uterus is expanding and since your muscles are already loose from previous pregnancies, you feel the pain more. I didn’t think I was going to make it… Read more »
Jodi
I am 7 weeks pregnant and has been hurting with stomach pains for about 1 week now. I wake up sick and go to bed sick. I have stomach pains all day long to where I cant even get out the bed and when I do Im so tired after 10 minutes that I have to lay on the couch. This is my 3rd child and let me tell you.. I have never felt that like EVER. I guess when they say all pregnancy are different , they are absoultey right. Im just wondering if this is normal? I have… Read more »
Heather
Hi Ladies, It feels soo good hearing that I am not alone. I took a pregnancy test about a week ago and had a very very faint line that showed positive. I have missed my period May 19th and have been having some cramps like my period is near. Now that the time for my period has passed the cramps has lessen however, i do have mild cramps during the day and a lil more sever cramps some nights. But the cramps have lessen alot. My boobs so tender that I have to sleep with a bra on at nights.… Read more »
Madd

shannon-
I had period like cramps for about 10 days before I was going to get my period. I took one test like 6 days before my expected period and it came back negative. Then I took another one 4 days before my period and it was a very very faint positive. If I were you, I would just wait another couple of days and take the test again. Depending on the level of HCG hormone in your urine, it’s quite normal for the hpt to come back positive only after a week after your expected period.

sassy
hi ive been havin dreams im pregnant but like everynight.. i realised maybe my dreams r tryna tell me something.. i have hard but very sore breasts. i have a habit of bumping them and reali isnt nice..im extremely tired and cant stop eating.. im eating double the amount of what i usuali do.i do get nauseas but not sick but happens wen im in the car or smell some times of food and im very dizzy. a few days ago i kept havin a sharp but painful pain on my right side and now its on my left.. i… Read more »
Nesha
Hey ladies ! my period was due May 25 but no period so i went to the ER because of cramping and spotting what look like old blood. The test came back pos…..yayyy now a week later and im cramping swollen boobs, back pains but besides that i’m not feeling sick i’m just a little scared because i do have a 9 y/o son and i never experience cramping at all. Well since i’m not alone i feel a lil better i apperciate everyone that post what their going thru it eases a lot of worried souls. Loving my baby… Read more »
shannon

Well I took my pregnancy test on Memorial Day at 9:30pm and it came out Negative. I took the First Response and took it 3 days before my period was due. And I still have NO PERIOD. I’m nervous and think I might be. 🙁

natasha
im a week late of my period,i took a test and it came back positive,although im really scared i keep getting wave like pains like startin light getting stronger then they calm down agen and only last for few minutes goin then coming back iv also got constant with lower back pain,stitches and alot of wind my breasts are also unbelevebly sore im 23 in a couple of months and alredy had 3miscarriages 🙁 im just sooo scared its going to happen again the 2nd time i was pregnant i was 13wks and had went through a sort of labour… Read more »
Thiru

Hi
Had Intercourse on day 12 n 13 after my period and on day 14 n 15 feeling slight very slight period like cramps. Two months ago I had a D & C done also. Had ectopic pregnancy. Could I be pregnant? Pls reply ur opinions. Will a over the counter test be too early?

Kiley

Destiny~ i would wait a couple days and take another pregancy test. you could be experiencing implantation bleeding. a few months ago i too got earlier periods tender breasts and brown discharge. mine turned out to be nothing. but def take another test just to be positve,

mimi

Hi Ladies
I was on the same boat
Do not worry
Cramping is very normal in early pregnancy
I could swear my period was coming
And my beta (blood test) confirmed I was very wrong 🙂
So do not loose hope
I talked to my mother, sister in law and a close friend and they all had the same cramping during early pregnancy

Destiny
I have been tracking my cycle and everything (symptoms) with an app on my phone called my cycle. I had my period earlier this month May 3-7 and of course after it went away me and my boyfriend had sex. My period wasn’t supposed to be due until May 31st but it came today (May 27). Yesterday there was a brown discharge and for the last week starting on the 21st I started having cramps and breast tenderness (extremely sore) and a slight headache sometimes. Today they are still sore but not as much as it was earlier in the… Read more »
shannon
Michelle~ Thank you, last night was a rough night sleeping as my cramps were strong. My boyfriend talked to me on the phone till I started to get sleepy. LOL! I pick up my pregnancy test today and take it in the morning. I’m about 3 weeks along . I get nervous when some cramps are strong…but OB-GYN says some will be stronger than others. It’s more annoying than anything. I wish you luck Michelle 🙂 Mariah~ I know what you mean as I did not have cramping AT ALL with my last pregnancy. You got that right it’s SO… Read more »
michelle

Good luck Shannon, I just took mine a few days ago before expected period and got positive results!
I’ve miscarried a couple months ago and I’m bout 4 weeks now, so I get really nervous anytime I have any slight cramp.

I’m almost 6 weeks pregnant and I am having consistent cramping. I dont remember having this with my last pregnancy, its not severe just kind of annoying. Maybe water will help.

Shannon

Terran~

Hey there, yes the test you took where it came up with the 2nd faint line then yes you are pregnant. It’s just that your HCG hormone levels aren’t strong enough yet. If you want to take another test in a couple days you can to be sure. I buy my pregnancy test today and take mine saturday morning 6 days before my period starts. Wish me luck. =)

Terran

And to mention urinate alot but it doesnt seem like an UTI i know what those are like….could i be pregnant or not? what do you think?

Terran

HI, im 17 and its almost the end of this month and i havent started. Its not normal for me to go this long without starting. I have noticed dull inconsistent premenstrual cramps. it feels like im about to start my period but it never comes. i dont think i have any other symptoms except for some exhaustion and moodiness. i get irritated alot easier. i test yesterday but the second line came up faint so i dont know weather to trust it or not. Any advice for me??

Geri

So, now over a week late, still cramping, still headaches, still no period, BUT PT was negative on Saturday (although I did an EPT in mid day after a TON of fluids, so think urine was diluted) then tried again Tuesday, but first one came back “error” second one said “not pregnant” but, alas, when I tried to test immediately following the error test, I couldn’t urinate as much so I didn’t have a “5 second” stream… Now I don’t know what to do. My doc says to call back in a week, if still no period they’ll test.

shannon

Gem~

Yes cramping is a sign of pregnancy and your spotting is also a sign. But you’de need to take a home pregnancy test to be sure. 🙂

gem

my and my boyfriend are trying to conceive, and we had sex on all my fertile days which was 2 weeks ago today (monday) for the past week i have been getting these small dull cramping pains in my right ovary and on saturday i had a tiny bit of spotting, bright red blood but was so light i only noticed it on the toilet paper.
can anyone let me know if these pains im experincing could be a pregnancy or else wise??

shannon

Crystal~

My cramps are on and off and so are my back pains as well. I did have some discharge for a couple days but now it seems to be gone. My boobs still are so sore 🙁 I have yahoo messenger if you want to send me your e-mail??

crystal

shannon- yeah i hear you my cramps are on and off and so are my back pains, and my friend said she has discharge when she pee’s and she is pregnant. and my boob are feeling diffrent now, you have a facebook?

shannon

Crystal~

Well it’s the 22nd so you should take a test in the next 2-3 days =) I’m stuck having to wait 7 days before I can take my test…ugh! Yeah I can’t sleep good at night….this is tough with the back bothering me and the cramps. Like I said some days are better than others when the cramps aren’t so bad and other days where I’m couch bound! LOL!

crystal

shannon- i hear you my cramps are huting right now .but i been peeing like crazy! but when i went to pee i saw discharge ao i don’t think i am .

shannon
Crytstal~ I hear ya girl on your back and stomache hurting really bad. I have my good moments and my bad moments. Yesterday I was in the middle of vacuuming and my cramps kicked in more and got stronger so I had to stop. So be careful with the activiites you do. My back is ridiculous…I can’t sleep right at night and haven’t been able to in almost 2 wks now. I’m on day 11 of my back and cramps and boobs hurting…lord let me tell ya…this pregnancy is NOTHING like my last one….SO DIFFERENT. Hang in there girl…I take… Read more »
crystal

shannon- okay, today my back and stomach was hurting really bad. and my boobs haven’t started to hurt yet.

shannon

Crystal~

Hey there…okay so this is what you should do. Go out and buy Answers or Clear Blue Easy (for example only PT’s that you can take 3-4 days before your period is due). And take the test on the 24th or 25th. If you are pregnant which you have symptoms now that I have so I’m guessing you are. Once you take the test then you need to make an appt as soon as possible to meet with your OB-GYN ok?

crystal

shannon-
my period is supoose to be due on the 28 of this month, my stomach pains goes off and on. today my stomach was hurting and my back and chest was hurting . and i been having headaches too.

shannon

Geri~

Get a home pregnancy test and take it please. Then immediatly call your OB-GYN…don’t wait for your period now if your already 4 days late.

Geri

Oh, and forgot to say, I have to pee 24/7… even though I always seem to have to go, this is unusually frequent… just not sure what to do!

Geri
Hello, I’m four days late, cramping, headaches, thinking I could be pregnant, LMC was 4/21/2011, I normally go 26 days, had intercourse w/hubby on our 10th anniversary on 4/30… so all the math seems right! Afraid to take a test, I’m 42, last pregnancy ended in 6 week miscarriage on my birthday in 2006, have 21 & 17 year sons, so trying to decide what to do? Do I buy a home test, wait to see if my period starts, or go to the doctor? Cramps are light, but there, headache’s been around for over a week, on and off,… Read more »
shannon
Crystal, Uh oh, your stomach always hurts? How long has this been going on for? Me I’m going on 9 days now and guess what else started to hurt…YUP MY BOOBS. =( Your boyfriend said you look like your getting bigger? Uh oh…and yesterday you felt like you were gonna get sick but never did? Well how do you feel today? See how you do over the weekend. When are you do for your period? See I already went to the E.R. cause my cramps were wicked bad on Monday but have gotten better since. I had to make sure… Read more »
crystal

shannon-
i don’t have the back pains yet, but my stomach always hurts. and my boyfriend told me i look like i’m getting bigger but not in fat wise. and yesterday i felt like i was going to throw up and never did .

Shannon

Natasha,

Thank you so much I will use that test you mentioned and try it 3 days before my period is due. Wish me luck!! =)

shannon

Crystal,

I’d highly advise you to do what I’m doing. Wait it out and see what happens. I started cramping 7 days after I ovulated and had intercourse and have been cramping since! My low back pain is still with me too. My blood pressure is high and my thyroid level is off now too. I am taking my preg test in 10 days. I didn’t know cramping was a sign of pregnancy but learned it is common. Wish you luck!